Thoughts on Snakes and Arrows?

The Analog Cub

I think I need to work out my Rush album rankings from 11-20. I have no idea!

I think I need to work out my Rush album rankings from 11-20. I have no idea!

There's a point where it gets a little hazy for me too. But I know that I have Vapor Trails and Roll the Bones at the bottom (not counting Feedback).

Oh, if I exlude Feedback it gets a little easier.

I will try:

19: VP

18: Rush

17: HYF

16: Presto

15: Snakes And Arrows

14: Test For Echo

13: Caress Of Steel

12: Fly By Night

11: CP

Wow...still not pleased with this...

I will try:

I'm not pleased with it either. How dare you rank Caress of Steel so low.

• Like 2

I will try:

I love CoS, but its been overshadowed in my affections by the next four albums! I will admit to being guilty of overlooking it, and its the one placement in my entire top 19 that I am unsure about...lol

I will try:

I love CoS, but its been overshadowed in my affections by the next four albums! I will admit to being guilty of overlooking it, and its the one placement in my entire top 19 that I am unsure about...lol

Listen to the opening riff in Bastille Day, the solos in The Necromancer, the hooks in Bacchus Plateau. Get sentimental as Lakeside Park plays. Share Alex's fears regarding hair loss while rocking out to Bald.

CoS is brilliant.

• Like 3

I will try:

Listen to the opening riff in Bastille Day, the solos in The Necromancer, the hooks in Bacchus Plateau. Get sentimental as Lakeside Park plays. Share Alex's fears regarding hair loss while rocking out to Bald.

CoS is brilliant.

Get high on something too...... :)
  • Like 1

I will try:

CoS is brilliant.

I thought it was about the dude in Max Webster? :huh:

I was surprised that I would ever enjoy Snakes and Arrows as much as I do now. It doesn't quite crack my top ten at the moment, but when I first listened to it a couple of years ago, I found it pretty boring, and I wasn't in to the style at all. However, about a month ago, I decided to give it a chance, and wow! There are some really great moments on this album. Armor and Sword is probably my favourite song on it, and I'm now finding the whole album very listenable. Of course, it has its off moments, like parts of Spindrift, Bravest Face, and Good News First. Overall, I am really happy that I finally got into it, because the fact that I had ignored many of these songs makes it almost like a whole new Rush album to listen to!
  • Like 1

I love Snakes and Arrows. Maybe I'm just a little biased on this one because at the time of release, it was the first new Rush album to come out since I'd become a complete Rush maniac. But all nostalgic feelings aside, I still think it is a very strong record. I like it better than Clockwork Angels even. SnA is kind of refreshing... if that makes any sense. I might even go as far as saying that it is the most standout album they have done as far as the whole sound being different. Lots of the songs on it sound like nothing else in the Rush catalog. It's relative uniqueness is what makes it great.

That being said, I think the album has a few flaws. For one, the production suffers from too many overdubs and layers. I want to hear Geddy sing, not the robot Geddy army. Some guitar parts are cluttered with too many layers of acoustics, etc. The songs are mostly pretty good, but some suffer from boring parts, or are just flat out boring. Well, really its the whole album that gets a little boring because it has a lot of mid-tempo songs that kind of plod along. They're good songs, but listening to them all in a row is just not very exciting. I like how the early Rush albums have peaks and valleys, so to speak. Listening to those is like a roller coaster musical experience. Whereas SnA is like a scenic car ride in a minivan. It's beautiful, but it doesn't get the blood pumping like the old days. CA ranks slightly higher on the adrenaline scale, but I don't like the songs quite as much as SnA.

So yeah, Snakes and Arrows is a really good record. I think I'm gonna go listen to it right now!

• Like 3

SnA is kind of refreshing... if that makes any sense. I might even go as far as saying that it is the most standout album they have done as far as the whole sound being different. Lots of the songs on it sound like nothing else in the Rush catalog.

Very true. Rush albums have always seemed to come in stylistic pairings, but the band definitely broke away from that trend with S&A.

I am enjoying Test For Echo a lot right now. Because of this, I am going to give all the albums I struggle with another go. VT can't be as bad as I think it is, and the last time I played SA I found it a lot better than I remembered (even Spindrift!).

I am enjoying Test For Echo a lot right now. Because of this, I am going to give all the albums I struggle with another go. VT can't be as bad as I think it is, and the last time I played SA I found it a lot better than I remembered (even Spindrift!).

Where's goober when you need him?

• Like 1

I think it's got some of the best production value of any RUSH album, and some great songs. The instrumentals are top notch. Bravest Face is a dud, and Spindrift simply irritates, but then there are tracks like Workin' Them Angels that make my top songs list. Some of the tracks, like The Way The Wind Blows, fall into the "great song, bad chorus" trap that many later RUSH songs get caught up in. Overall, I like it more than Clockwork, but I know I'm in a minority here.

It's funny, the last album that people generally agree had great production was Counterparts, which is the only album worse than this one. It just goes to show you that the production quality isn't the essential part of enjoying a record.

I couldn't disagree more. Your dislike of Counterparts is well documented but you are not in the majority. Most people think it's a great Rush record with great production. Counterparts is WAY stronger than SnA IMO.

well said! Opinion should never be accepted as fact.

otherwise everybody would agree with me that RTB is a top ten album, and that MP is hardly the masterpiece everyone says it is (although its still very, very good).

And facts shouldn't be invented to suit one's needs.

Though I'm pretty sure when people talk about how good albums are, we all know that we're talking opinions. But when we start to quantify how the rest of the world things about such opinions, it's best to look for some objective criteria, not just make shit up.

That being said, I can understand why some fans think the band went downhill after PoW. But as far as I am concerned, CP is regarded as being one of the better post PoW albums, and for me it is the third best (after CA and RTB respectively).

As for Snakes and Arrows, I think its getting a little better the more I hear it. But I am very glad when I started listening to Rush I chose MP and not this one (the latest release at the time). I don't think I would have explored the band much further had this been so...

For me, SA is a fans only album, casual listeners should look toward the more established classics (I started with MP, then 2112 and after a while PeW. Thanks to those, Rush slowly became an obsession! ).

I think hardcore fans would generally agree that CP is among the best post-MP albums, but very few would agree with your ranking of RTB. Casuals, on the other hand, probably can't name 3 albums since Signals, and RTB would be one that they can name (and CP wouldn't be one that they could).

I replayed Roll The Bones, im new to these albums coz I only just got the box set!

Lets just say I might have got it wrong...CP and T4E are far better...as is Presto.

As for this "hardcore Rush fan" business, do I qualify as a "hardcore Rush fan" only if my favourites match up with the majority? A Rush album is a Rush album. If I love it, I love it. I don't need a qualification to prove how much I love a band or a certain album! I got into them three years ago, and every day I love them more and more...thats enough for me.

• Like 2

I replayed Roll The Bones, im new to these albums coz I only just got the box set!

Lets just say I might have got it wrong...CP and T4E are far better...as is Presto.

You're making good progress.

As for this "hardcore Rush fan" business, do I qualify as a "hardcore Rush fan" only if my favourites match up with the majority? A Rush album is a Rush album. If I love it, I love it. I don't need a qualification to prove how much I love a band or a certain album! I got into them three years ago, and every day I love them more and more...thats enough for me.

You won't gain access to the hardest of hard-core Rush circles unless you praise Hemispheres to the high heavens and adamantly refuse to rank anything that came after Power Windows (with the possible exception of Clockwork Angels) above anything that came before Signals.

These are circles I'm glad to be barred from.

You're making good progress.

You won't gain access to the hardest of hard-core Rush circles unless you praise Hemispheres to the high heavens and adamantly refuse to rank anything that came after Power Windows (with the possible exception of Clockwork Angels) above anything that came before Signals.

These are circles I'm glad to be barred from.

:codger: That's the formula for sure.......
  • Like 2

As you're a new listener to most of these albums, it's actually kind of cool watching as your opinions shift as you are getting to know all the albums more.

• Like 4

As you're a new listener to most of these albums, it's actually kind of cool watching as your opinions shift as you are getting to know all the albums more.

Thanks! A fan of three years and 20 albums excluding live albums (give me a chance! ), I have often found albums I really hated on first listen are now my favourites, the same vice versa. For example, 2112, Caress Of Steel and Permanent Waves (not to mention Power Windows) were boring and irritating. Now I absolutely love them! I have never heard another band like Rush and its been excellent listening, they challenge the listener, and continue to surprise!

I owned 2112, MP and PeW before I got my fourth release, CA. Once I heard how amazing that 2112 album was I learned quickly that Rush were possibly the greatest band I had ever heard. I might have bands I say I like more (Lacuna Coil, The Beatles), but Rush are the most unique, and I look forward to getting to know the rest of their albums better. CoS for example has really grown on me, as has T4E, surprisingly!

I bet I get annoying though...I have to be on this forum, though, because none of my friends or family really like Rush (to busy listening to Gangnam Style, Kings Of Leon or Three Days Grace, lol).

• Like 4