Debut album to get deluxe treatment in 2014

Rushman14

Surprisingly I didnt see a thread on this so....

According to a Toronto Globe and Mail article posted yesterday, Rush will be releasing a re-issue of their 1974 debut album to celebrate the 40th anniversary since its release next year. The article cites an interview with Universal Music Canada's VP of catalog marketing Ivar Hamilton: .. Hamilton cites the Canadian hard-rock trio Rush as an example of active partners in the process, saying the band members are "very involved" in next year's 40th-anniversary reissue of the group's self-titled debut album. ...

No other details regarding the re-issue are currently available, but it will likely include a re-master of the album, new and expanded liner notes and hopefully some other goodies. More information as we learn it.

• Like 5

Oh great. There's nothing wrong with the album as it is. If they remaster it I hope they don't screw it up. I hate to be cynical but after this last DVD release it makes me wonder.
  • Like 1

Sounds like they're really pushing for a novel idea. Why would anyone buy a fluff job of a rudimentary, cave-era album? What's worse is that Neil has no association with it whatsoever! Sinking to unprecedented depths, imo.

What's the point? Geez Louise. Enough already..... :facepalm:

Edit: Next will be All The Worlds A Stage?

Edited by Narpet

Sounds like they're really pushing for a novel idea. Why would anyone buy a fluff job of a rudimentary, cave-era album? What's worse is that Neil has no association with it whatsoever! Sinking to unprecedented depths, imo.

With bonus previously unreleased tracks?

With bonus previously unreleased tracks?

Now, that would work for me!!!! Sadly I doubt it however...... :(

"Next will be All The Worlds A Stage?"

I wouldn't be opposed :). To me, Atwas is far more historically relevant than the '74 album! It marked a time where Rush had finally attained critical mass and was destined for greatness.

Kind of like Exit Stage Left but not as awesome!

I wouldn't be opposed :). To me, Atwas is far more historically relevant than the '74 album! It marked a time where Rush had finally attained critical mass and was destined for greatness.

:shakeshisheadindisbelief: Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

my favorite live album ever. an expanded version of ATWAS would be freakishly awesome.

I shall not hold my breath however.

• Like 1

Rush is celebrating 40 by re-releasing an album and people are bitching??

It's not like Neil's going to come to your house and demand your old copy back jeez!

• Like 2

ESL was the studio version of a live album. I burned-out fairly quickly on this one.

• Like 1

In the words of Jenna Maroney:

"[This Rush re-release] is the opposite of a turd with eyes!"

Its gonna be big...

O my...re-releases are what help us young ones keep up to date with old music! A whole host of my favourite bands I have discovered through the hype of deluxe editions and re-releases. It might be something old to you, but for a lot of us these bands are brand new discoveries! And for us who lack the funds to buy every official release of yesteryear to collect all the b-sides and rarities, deluxes editions and extended reissues are essential!

Cases in point:

Fleetwood Mac- Rumours re-release (2013)

Rush- 1989-2007 albums box set (2013)

Jimmy Eat World- Bleed American deluxe edition (2007)

Lacuna Coil- full back catalogue reissues (2004-2005)

Yeah, a lot of my friends discover old bands through these methods. I'm not excited about this particular rerelease, but on the other hand I don't think the album is any less deserving than Vapor Trails this year (now that really was scraping the barrel...bad songs are bad songs!)

The phrase, "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind.

That's a bit extreme. Without that album we wouldn't have Finding My Way, What Youre Doing or Working Man. And Here Again is an awesome blues song with some killer guitar.

• Like 4

That's a bit extreme. Without that album we wouldn't have Finding My Way, What Youre Doing or Working Man. And Here Again is an awesome blues song with some killer guitar.

I agree. Its not one of my favourite Rush albums, but as a slice of 70's rock n roll, it sure is tasty! I think it deserves some recognition, but i can think of other, more deserving Rush albums from this era. Caress Of Steel? Fly By Night?

But being the 40th anniversary, its a perfect time to reflect and commemorate the origins of this amazing band! And as far as debuts go, it is hardly a rubbish effort. Sure, it is no The Doors, but then again its not exactly Pablo Honey either!

Extra Goodies sounds interesting. Who knows maybe they'll release an EP of new instrumentals or something. Better yet, re-record some songs with Neil on drums. Say a song never released on the album like Garden Road? :huh:

Regardless, its something to look forward too in 2014. Where pervious there was nothing! Nothing!

:dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

Edited by losingit2k

:7up: If they release a remaster/ remix on vinyl, I'll be happy. I've been buying quite a bit of Rush vinyl recently to expand my collection, I even bought the 10" of The Garden.

Maybe I'm going through a mid life crisis or something! :LOL:

But anyway, it'll be great to have something to mark the anniversary. :haz:

• Like 2

:7up: If they release a remaster/ remix on vinyl, I'll be happy. I've been buying quite a bit of Rush vinyl recently to expand my collection, I even bought the 10" of The Garden.

I have plenty of 35 year old vinyl with scratches and sh*t all over them, If you need some....... :)
  • Like 2

I have plenty of 35 year old vinyl with scratches and sh*t all over them, If you need some....... :)

:LOL: Yeah, bring 'em round- I'll put the kettle on! :P

• Like 1

:LOL: Yeah, bring 'em round- I'll put the kettle on! :P

Don't I wish..... :D-13:
  • Like 1