Drums can sound completely different depending on where they're played

barney_rebel

Yeah but this video is utter bullsh!t. The bass drum never moves and you can hear close mics and there are none. Went around with this on FB already. I do not dispute the principle because it is well known to me. Hell my snare drums sound different in my living room than they do in my recording room, and that's just my house. But this video is all about trickery Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

Yeah but this video is utter bullsh!t. The bass drum never moves and you can hear close mics and there are none. Went around with this on FB already. I do not dispute the principle because it is well known to me. Hell my snare drums sound different in my living room than they do in my recording room, and that's just my house. But this video is all about trickery

Killjoy.

I could be wrong, but there is something fishy with this thing. I watched the making of video and in the final shit a car drives by kit but is inaudible.

Great post! It makes me think of how great Zeppelin was at getting the perfect sound out of Bonzo by recording him in odd spaces.

Or that famous picture of Neil's red Tamas out on the lake.

• Like 1

Indeed. Like I said my snare drums especially sound different in the rooms of my house. It's to the point that if I change heads on a drum in my living room I have to finish tuning in my recording room (converted bedroom) so that when I record the drum translates to the recording well. Even close miked.

Well yeah, of course they'll sound different in different environments. Wildly different from inside to outside (outside they tend it sound like shit). But I don't buy that there was nothing added to that video.

I don't think the video and sound are connected. The video is theater, to tell the story of the sound. Still well done.