TRF Prediction Thread and Roast: Rushgoober's 30,000th post

Tombstone Mountain

You know he's planning on something to document the occasion  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will his thread topic be?

• A thanks to TRF for the years of support?
    • Another malignant VT thread
    • A thread asking the question "why do so many people here care what I think?"
    • Why BU2B2 ruins Clockwork Angels
    • Rushgoober's top 500 commercials off all time
    • Rushgoober's top 500 recipes for hippies
    • Top Ten Movies that make Rushgoober cry
    • Pink Floyd: Overtaking Rush as my favorite band
    • Why Krautrock makes me space out
    • Headlong Flight, how it grew on me, and why people say dumb stuff
    • Gerbils: Curiousity didn't just kill the cat
    • I love how Neil describes wildlife, and here's why
    • Rush concerts that live in my psyche
    • Ben Affleck
    • Behind the Candlabra—movie of the year

I see H.P.L. has been a busy beaver today, transferring all of his material to "that other thread." I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The magic of this thread can never be recaptured. It's like the difference between being at a parade and looking at still photos of it months later.

Actually, I'm just too lazy to do it with my own posts!

Maybe he is trying to drum up our viewer base and send it exploding through the roof. There is always a method to HPL's madness! ;)

That brought me here to this thread :hail:

And so let's welcome ASH!!!!!

I see H.P.L. has been a busy beaver today, transferring all of his material to "that other thread." I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The magic of this thread can never be recaptured. It's like the difference between being at a parade and looking at still photos of it months later.

Actually, I'm just too lazy to do it with my own posts!

Maybe he is trying to drum up our viewer base and send it exploding through the roof. There is always a method to HPL's madness! ;)

That brought me here to this thread :hail:

And so let's welcome ASH!!!!!

Welcome to the party pal —Bruce Willis

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2012/05/goober.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2012/05/goober.jpg

Crap...now I've only got one thread in my honor.

No sarcasm here, seriously...

Do you guys really care about Goobs coming back?

If you do want him to come back, maybe he's not coming back because of this stuff. He's just a guy on a Rush forum. Take a step back and ask yourselves... would you want this much attention from anonymous strangers on a website? I'll be honest, it's starting to cross the line into creepy-ville. Anytime you start bringing personal info into a public forum, you prove you no longer have a firm grasp on what's important.

In all your fun patting each other on the back over your fan fiction, did you ever once stop to consider how it made Goobs feel?

• Like 3

If you do want him to come back, maybe he's not coming back because of this stuff. He's just a guy on a Rush forum. Take a step back and ask yourselves... would you want this much attention from anonymous strangers on a website? I'll be honest, it's starting to cross the line into creepy-ville. Anytime you start bringing personal info into a public forum, you prove you no longer have a firm grasp on what's important.

In all your fun patting each other on the back over your fan fiction, did you ever once stop to consider how it made Goobs feel?

This echoes a post I made a few weeks ago in this thread. It's not exactly a tribute thread, it's more of a lampoon, and it's a bazillion pages long and it hijacked another thread in the Rush section. I mean, c'mon...

I have absolutely no issue with YBG, Hell, if I did - I wouldn't have suggested your member name :)

I honestly feel bad for goobs. You have to assume he is still a Rush fan, and that he still stops by once in a while. I would feel uncomfortable with all of this if I were in his shoes....

This echoes a post I made a few weeks ago in this thread. It's not exactly a tribute thread, it's more of a lampoon, and it's a bazillion pages long and it hijacked another thread in the Rush section. I mean, c'mon...

The same old questions come up, but nobody seems to read the answers. Here's mine. It was back on friggin' page 63.

I've been thinking the same way from time to time. But still, as far as I see it, we are taking the piss off Goober's online TRF persona, not the real him which I don't know and will never meet. I have met Rushgoober, not Gary, and Goober was the first and only one to respond to my PMs the first times I was here, when lots of people (now gone) where arguing about my english or ignoring me altogether. Goober was friendly, open, gave me courage. For that I will forever be grateful. But then he started going the usual way "You got it all wrong", "How can you possibily....", "Nothing what you said is right..." and so on, and then began the famous VT saga, and it all was blown to Gargantua proportions, which only called for a Pantagruel response.

Again, LIX, I care about Goobs coming back as much as I care for the Koalas Welfare Program. Yes, this is pure fan-fiction, 73, and had you been a tad more clear on how you feel about it, we woulda moved on 10 pages back.

If the message is "I don't like this thread but I won't say it out loud and read between the lines and make your choice", fine. As I said 10 pages back, let's close this thread, let's change subject and let's go on with the show. If we can have a quite thread about Monty Python that lives by herself where people have fun (all the love to those guys), we can have a YBG thread that doesn't touch established forum members' sensibilites and lives by herself where people have fun.

• Like 2

Now I'm pissed.

Many things I am, insensitive is not one of them. If we have offended Goober in any way at any time, all he had to do was say something. Many times I have asked him to come back and even expressed concern that he wasn't coming back.

It is also inconceivable to me, that considering some of the truly offensive threads that pass for intellectual discussion in the TSON subsection, that anyone would be offended by this thread.

• Like 4

I have absolutely no issue with YBG, Hell, if I did - I wouldn't have suggested your member name :)

I honestly feel bad for goobs. You have to assume he is still a Rush fan, and that he still stops by once in a while. I would feel uncomfortable with all of this if I were in his shoes....

And make no mistake, I am not trying to be a mod here or anything, just trying to be empathetic to goobs regarding what is going on with these threads.

TM, you know I have no issue with you. I have no issue with goobs either, but if this stuff is keeping him away, only real way to find out is by making it stop. If he comes back once this thread hits page 2... maybe that will be your answer :)

And again, LIX, is there's one thing I hate is this supposed "guilty complex" strategy.

People "fun pat each other on the back" ALL THE TIME here. Be it about Rush, or Kiss, or Van Halen or Atheism. The ones who don't agree with that, the wise ones, just sit back.

How come everyone is representing Goobs like a poor, shy, abused, sensitive guy now? He's got an ego the size of Jupiter, for Jesus sake!!!

• Like 3

The same old questions come up, but nobody seems to read the answers. Here's mine. It was back on friggin' page 63.

I've been thinking the same way from time to time. But still, as far as I see it, we are taking the piss off Goober's online TRF persona, not the real him which I don't know and will never meet. I have met Rushgoober, not Gary, and Goober was the first and only one to respond to my PMs the first times I was here, when lots of people (now gone) where arguing about my english or ignoring me altogether. Goober was friendly, open, gave me courage. For that I will forever be grateful. But then he started going the usual way "You got it all wrong", "How can you possibily....", "Nothing what you said is right..." and so on, and then began the famous VT saga, and it all was blown to Gargantua proportions, which only called for a Pantagruel response.

Again, LIX, I care about Goobs coming back as much as I care for the Koalas Welfare Program. Yes, this is pure fan-fiction, 73, and had you been a tad more clear on how you feel about it, we woulda moved on 10 pages back.

If the message is "I don't like this thread but I won't say it out loud and read between the lines and make your choice", fine. As I said 10 pages back, let's close this thread, let's change subject and let's go on with the show. If we can have a quite thread about Monty Python that lives by herself where people have fun (all the love to those guys), we can have a YBG thread that doesn't touch established forum members' sensibilites and lives by herself where people have fun.

I'm of this line of thought.

How do we proceed? When or if he comes back are we mum about this thread? Are we allowed to engage him when he posts the same stuff, because he's digging for a reaction by his comments. ..as we all are.

And again, LIX, is there's one thing I hate is this supposed "guilty complex" strategy.

People "fun pat each other on the back" ALL THE TIME here. Be it about Rush, or Kiss, or Van Halen or Atheism. The ones who don't agree with that, the wise ones, just sit back.

How come everyone is representing Goobs like a poor, shy, abused, sensitive guy now? He's got an ego the size of Jupiter, for Jesus sake!!!

73—LIX—This is the simple truth. Do we need to revisit his lexicon?

• Like 2

You guys do what you want... I gave an alternative explanation. So sorry it so quickly hurt your sensibilities.

Kinda speaks volumes now, doesn't it?

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

You guys do what you want... I gave an alternative explanation. So sorry it so quickly hurt your sensibilities.

Oooooohhh, Jedi mind trick, yes?

I'll tell you this: it didn't hurt my sensibility as much as offend my intellect.

• Like 2

I get what your saying LIX. I understand and appreciate the POV. I just don't want extra scrutiny if he posts something and I offer a perspective contrary to his.

:LOL:

So, because he posts like he has an ego... you're allowed to post personal items about him that he did not share publicly? On a public forum? Nobody said poor, abused, shy - any of those things. If someone acted like a stalker on a public forum, I would stay the hell away too.

I couldn't tell you what ILSnwdog posted last month about a subject - and he's my closest friend on this site. We have hung out, we have met each other's families... but some of the things you post about Goobs crosses the line. Nothing I can say will make you see that if you refuse to step back and look at this objectively.

We've all expressed concern about Goober's absence numerous times throughout this thread, especially since he's never been reticent to have a go at people. I find it hard to believe that he would take anything said in this thread to heart. Likewise, I doubt many people are actually offended by the things he says —being petulant is just part of his shtick.

Most of the sanctimonious comments made here are by those who've never bothered to actually read this thread.

• Like 2

Oooooohhh, Jedi mind trick, yes?

I'll tell you this: it didn't hurt my sensibility as much as offend my intellect.

I understand this perspective as well. HPL just wants to know how to proceed without the limbo kind of feeling. He's from another country, with a different perspective as well.

However this proceeds, count me out. I didn't expect this forum, of all places, to be like this. Again, considering what is posted here. Insults hurled left and right. And center.

It has occurred to me too that maybe the point here is to turn this into a fight so the thread can be locked.

And, LIX, no. It has nothing to do with sensibilities offended. If it was that, I would have left months ago when Running Rebel advocated feeding Christians to the lions.

• Like 3

However this proceeds, count me out. I didn't expect this forum, of all places, to be like this. Again, considering what is posted here. Insults hurled left and right. And center.

It has occurred to me too that maybe the point here is to turn this into a fight so the thread can be locked.

And, LIX, no. It has nothing to do with sensibilities offended. If it was that, I would have left months ago when Running Rebel advocated feeding Christians to the lions.

Well, this isn't SOCN...