TRF Prediction Thread and Roast: Rushgoober's 30,000th post

Tombstone Mountain

You know he's planning on something to document the occasion  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will his thread topic be?

• A thanks to TRF for the years of support?
    • Another malignant VT thread
    • A thread asking the question "why do so many people here care what I think?"
    • Why BU2B2 ruins Clockwork Angels
    • Rushgoober's top 500 commercials off all time
    • Rushgoober's top 500 recipes for hippies
    • Top Ten Movies that make Rushgoober cry
    • Pink Floyd: Overtaking Rush as my favorite band
    • Why Krautrock makes me space out
    • Headlong Flight, how it grew on me, and why people say dumb stuff
    • Gerbils: Curiousity didn't just kill the cat
    • I love how Neil describes wildlife, and here's why
    • Rush concerts that live in my psyche
    • Ben Affleck
    • Behind the Candlabra—movie of the year

I've tried to read this thread a couple times... But I feel if I don't get a summary from one of you I feel I will never understand its mass profoundness as the single best thread in TRF history.

Sean, I know you and your lengthy posts ;) fill me in my friend.

(I think the controversy has blown over too, by the way)

• Like 1

I think it is time we organized a TRF Prediction Thread and Roast reunion to reminisce about old times. :)

You're saying those Grinder days are over? :sigh: Remember MJ's nose? ;) It still makes me giggle, when I think about its absurdity.

Long live the Grinder! :7up:

• Like 3

I feel if I don't get a summary from one of you I feel I will never understand its mass profoundness as the single best thread in TRF history.

You know you can buy the cliff notes version. It's pretty rad.

• Like 1

I think it is time we organized a TRF Prediction Thread and Roast reunion to reminisce about old times. :)

You're saying those Grinder days are over? :sigh: Remember MJ's nose? ;) It still makes me giggle, when I think about its absurdity.

They are not over. A new album is coming and the Grinder will be there to report!

• Like 1

I've tried to read this thread a couple times... But I feel if I don't get a summary from one of you I feel I will never understand its mass profoundness as the single best thread in TRF history.

Man...I'll never tire of reading those lines.

I dunno...maybe HPL can explain it...or maybe 73 could.

They are not over. A new album is coming and the Grinder will be there to report!

I always knew that we will strike again sometime. :madra:

• Like 2

I feel if I don't get a summary from one of you I feel I will never understand its mass profoundness as the single best thread in TRF history.

And rare. Last I heard they were all sold out. Everywhere. Going for exorbitant prices on Amazon until they sold out too. :huh:

Who knew we were a legend?

• Like 1

How could I forget? That was at the beginning when I still had all of my marbles and a semblance of sanity left.

Little did I know what the future held. :sigh:

• Like 3

And rare. Last I heard they were all sold out. Everywhere. Going for exorbitant prices on Amazon until they sold out too. :huh:

They are rare. Neil has a signed hardback copy. He mentioned it in that Strombo interview.

• Like 1

They are rare. Neil has a signed hardback copy. He mentioned it in that Strombo interview.

:o No wonder why we are suddenly infamous famous.

Did you have to pay him to do it?

• Like 1

Excellent question. The answer is yes. I owed him for some ribs he bought me in Arkansas

• Like 1

Excellent question. The answer is yes. I owed him for some ribs he bought me in Arkansas

I love the barter system. :)

I heard you got Geddy to readthe audio book version. I'm waiting on that bad boy!!
  • Like 2

I just noticed this thing has over 20,000 hits. Wow!

I remember that you pm'd me back then, that you're going to install a big thing. Here it goes...in memory of goobs, who is painfully missed here.

Edited by greyfriar

:cool:

I'm afraid it is one of those threads that you just had to be there when it was all a-happening! [tinkle, tinkle]

I'm honestly surprised Sean met me with a similar "explanation" :eyeroll:

I definitely require foot notes :D I'd sooner finish Atlas Shrugged!

• Like 2

http://i.imgur.com/rMHspqJ.png

EXCLUSIVE:

YBG REPORTER TELLS ALL

Substancewithoutstyle talks candidly about the Goober case,

his colleagues, and more.

29 Jan 2014

by Julia Gillard, Times Gossip Reporter

It can become rather boring being an entertainment reporter in Brisbane. After all, there are a limited number of footballers and vapid socialites to keep tabs on, so I was delighted when my editor asked me to interview an American celebrity. Since Angelina Jolie is the only one who spends an appreciable amount of time in Queensland, I just assumed it would be her. However, I was a bit crestfallen to learn that my time would be spent in conversation with Substancewithoutstyle, a reporter from the Yukon Blade Grinder, a dubious publication based in a town called Goatnut, Tennessee.

My knowledge of Rushgoober and the Neverland Cult was limited, but my editor said it had been a slow week and he needed some page filler. He assured me that it wouldn't take much of my time and would make for some interesting reading, so I reluctantly took the address from him and set off for my meeting with Mr. Style.

http://i.imgur.com/UHVHCGP.png

The Q1 towers above the beaches (and swamps) of the Gold Coast, Queensland

As I asked myself why I was wasting my time on such an obscure figure, I took note of the address on the slip of paper and all second thoughts vanished. I was to meet Style in a posh rental apartment in the Q1 Tower. How could a lowly reporter afford such accommodations? I was intrigued. . .

http://i.imgur.com/n54aPl8.png

I was filled with anticipation as I knocked on the door to apartment 2112, but when the door opened I was greeted by a curious, geeky, Edward Snowden-like character with glasses. He was no slave to fashion, either. His manner of dress could best be described as Robert Plant circa 1995. Had he changed his style since high school? I had to remind myself that I wasn't there to judge his appearance, so I got down to business.

I know this is none of my concern, but how can you afford this place?

"Pretty cool, isn't it? This is all courtesy of the Grinder. I got tired of living on the cheap when I came down here, eating at Hungry Jack's and all, so I put this place on the Grinder's tab. After all I've been through I think I deserve a little pampering. Besides, Tombstone never reimbursed me for that Salvatore Ferragamo shirt. I just hope he didn't spend all of his money on hookers at the Soak and Poke."

How did you become involved with the Yukon Blade Grinder?

"I went to California to protest what I perceived to be the unjust persecution of Goober, but as the facts were revealed it became apparent that the little prick was guilty as sin. The next thing I knew Tombstone had recruited me as some sort of correspondent, making demands about the headers of my articles and such. To make matters worse, we had to go from sunny California to the frozen tundra of Toronto, where my stalker Norman came looking for me. That incident put me over the edge."

So you came to Australia?

"I had to get away from the chaos of Toronto; Rush are almost unknown here, the weather is beautiful (if you like heat waves), and since I'm familiar with the area it seemed like the perfect getaway. In retrospect, I shouldn't have left the Huguenot without telling someone, but Tombstone should make allowances for odd behaviour considering the stress I've been under."

Speaking of Rush, do you think they'll ever come to Australia?

"Ha! Are you kidding? There's no profit to be made here. Sure, it would be nice for the smattering of fans they have here if they would play a few clubs in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane, but that will never happen. Alex said they once did a show without all the bells and whistles for about 500 people in a club somewhere, but they wouldn't do it again. It's not like they could fill Suncorp Stadium. Coldplay, sure. Rush, pffft. You have your own musical icons, I mean, didn't INXS replace Michael Hutchence after he strangled himself whacking off?"

But wouldn't even a small tour provide Neil with material for his blog?

"Christ, we don't need that! I'm sure he'd take a cross-country bike tour with his manservant, Michael Mosbach, then proceed to describe every rock and flower he came across in excruciating detail. You can bet it would also be peppered with his half-baked sociopolitical commentary. If Goober read that he'd probably be driven to the brink of suicide."

You'll be returning to Toronto?

"I suppose I'll head back to the Huguenot Motel. I do feel guilty for leaving because H.P.L. has been doing all of the reporting by himself from his end, traipsing off to all sorts of exotic and strange locales, and never complaining a bit. I should do more to pull my weight; maybe look for more of Alex and Geddy's old haunts. I never know what interesting characters I'll run into."

Any final thoughts about Goober?

"He should freeze his balls off up there in that cage. If he hadn't been such a vicious little troll at TRF I wouldn't have had to go through all this. I hope Mayor Ford sells him to a vivisectionist."

As I drove back to my office at the Times, I couldn't help but think how lucky we were that Rush never became popular in Australia. I could only imagine arenas full of air-drumming geeks and nerds, not to mention the fact that Goober could have ended up in a cage suspended from the Sydney Harbour Bridge. How pathetic would that have been?

• Like 3

http://i.imgur.com/rMHspqJ.png

EXCLUSIVE:

YBG REPORTER TELLS ALL

Substancewithoutstyle talks candidly about the Goober case,

his colleagues, and more.

29 Jan 2014

by Julia Gillard, Times Gossip Reporter

It can become rather boring being an entertainment reporter in Brisbane. After all, there are a limited number of footballers and vapid socialites to keep tabs on, so I was delighted when my editor asked me to interview an American celebrity. Since Angelina Jolie is the only one who spends an appreciable amount of time in Queensland, I just assumed it would be her. However, I was a bit crestfallen to learn that my time would be spent in conversation with Substancewithoutstyle, a reporter from the Yukon Blade Grinder, a dubious publication based in a town called Goatnut, Tennessee.

My knowledge of Rushgoober and the Neverland Cult was limited, but my editor said it had been a slow week and he needed some page filler. He assured me that it wouldn't take much of my time and would make for some interesting reading, so I reluctantly took the address from him and set off for my meeting with Mr. Style.

http://i.imgur.com/UHVHCGP.png

The Q1 towers above the beaches (and swamps) of the Gold Coast, Queensland

As I asked myself why I was wasting my time on such an obscure figure, I took note of the address on the slip of paper and all second thoughts vanished. I was to meet Style in a posh rental apartment in the Q1 Tower. How could a lowly reporter afford such accommodations? I was intrigued. . .

http://i.imgur.com/n54aPl8.png

I was filled with anticipation as I knocked on the door to apartment 2112, but when the door opened I was greeted by a curious, geeky, Edward Snowden-like character with glasses. He was no slave to fashion, either. His manner of dress could best be described as Robert Plant circa 1995. Had he changed his style since high school? I had to remind myself that I wasn't there to judge his appearance, so I got down to business.

I know this is none of my concern, but how can you afford this place?

"Pretty cool, isn't it? This is all courtesy of the Grinder. I got tired of living on the cheap when I came down here, eating at Hungry Jack's and all, so I put this place on the Grinder's tab. After all I've been through I think I deserve a little pampering. Besides, Tombstone never reimbursed me for that Salvatore Ferragamo shirt. I just hope he didn't spend all of his money on hookers at the Soak and Poke."

How did you become involved with the Yukon Blade Grinder?

"I went to California to protest what I perceived to be the unjust persecution of Goober, but as the facts were revealed it became apparent that the little prick was guilty as sin. The next thing I knew Tombstone had recruited me as some sort of correspondent, making demands about the headers of my articles and such. To make matters worse, we had to go from sunny California to the frozen tundra of Toronto, where my stalker Norman came looking for me. That incident put me over the edge."

So you came to Australia?

"I had to get away from the chaos of Toronto; Rush are almost unknown here, the weather is beautiful (if you like heat waves), and since I'm familiar with the area it seemed like the perfect getaway. In retrospect, I shouldn't have left the Huguenot without telling someone, but Tombstone should make allowances for odd behaviour considering the stress I've been under."

Speaking of Rush, do you think they'll ever come to Australia?

"Ha! Are you kidding? There's no profit to be made here. Sure, it would be nice for the smattering of fans they have here if they would play a few clubs in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane, but that will never happen. Alex said they once did a show without all the bells and whistles for about 500 people in a club somewhere, but they wouldn't do it again. It's not like they could fill Suncorp Stadium. Coldplay, sure. Rush, pffft. You have your own musical icons, I mean, didn't INXS replace Michael Hutchence after he strangled himself whacking off?"

But wouldn't even a small tour provide Neil with material for his blog?

"Christ, we don't need that! I'm sure he'd take a cross-country bike tour with his manservant, Michael Mosbach, then proceed to describe every rock and flower he came across in excruciating detail. You can bet it would also be peppered with his half-baked sociopolitical commentary. If Goober read that he'd probably be driven to the brink of suicide."

You'll be returning to Toronto?

"I suppose I'll head back to the Huguenot Motel. I do feel guilty for leaving because H.P.L. has been doing all of the reporting by himself from his end, traipsing off to all sorts of exotic and strange locales, and never complaining a bit. I should do more to pull my weight; maybe look for more of Alex and Geddy's old haunts. I never know what interesting characters I'll run into."

Any final thoughts about Goober?

"He should freeze his balls off up there in that cage. If he hadn't been such a vicious little troll at TRF I wouldn't have had to go through all this. I hope Mayor Ford sells him to a vivisectionist."

As I drove back to my office at the Times, I couldn't help but think how lucky we were that Rush never became popular in Australia. I could only imagine arenas full of air-drumming geeks and nerds, not to mention the fact that Goober could have ended up in a cage suspended from the Sydney Harbour Bridge. How pathetic would that have been?

SWS is a great ambassador for the YBG. This is golden

• Like 2

I heard you got Geddy to readthe audio book version. I'm waiting on that bad boy!!

That's why the 2015 tour is being delayed. He has to finish the audio book and we won't let him go until he does.

• Like 1