The Garden 10" picture disc is coming

The Analog Grownup

In 20 years my Vinyl copy of CA will STILL sound better than ANY CD copy still around.

If you can't hear the sound quality differences, if you don't know how to handle vinyl, if you don't know that the first step to maintaining the quality is to take them out of the paper sleeves and put them into plastic, then as I said before, vinyl isn't for you anyway.

• Like 1

If you handle a vinyl poorly, it won't sound good. If you handle a CD poorly, it won't sound good.

The nice thing about CD's are they're tiny and you, usually, only need one for a whole album. Bad thing about them is the music sounds like crap and super compressed. Meaning you miss out on the little things but you get the gist of the song.

Nice thing about vinyls are they sound fantastic. Like you are there listening to the band in the recording room. They can give people in my generation a "retro" feel to using them. Or give the older folks a sense of nostalgia. Bad thing about vinyl is if you scratch or warp them, it's not a good thing to use. Or you have to go side B when A is done (not a huge deal).

Personally, I like the popping sound when listening to vinyl. Gives it a classier feel. Just take care of your damn CD's and vinyls. Put the CD's back in their cases. Put the vinyls back in the sleeve on a shelf VERTICALLY. You shouldn't have any problems. The fact of the matter is: if you want best quality, you go to vinyl. You want convenience, go to CD's. As for me, I like vinyls because I enjoy better quality music.

Edited by ShlappinDahBass
  • Like 3

Hair dryers! Not just for drying hair anymore: I don't remember having to do this with my cds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao6eKoDPLA0 I just love the pops and hissing, can't get enough of that no!

Perhaps you don't possess the deft touch required to keep your vinyl clean and healthy, nor the sophistication/acuity to recognize it's audible superiority. I'm here to help. Some things are worth the extra effort. This is sad commentary that, frankly, should be below you. (judging from your generally positive postings)

Treat your vinyl like a lady and you'll benefit greatly from the warmth, tone, and superior groove. Keep her well protected, (a nice jacket is always a good thing), use a gentle touch when placing her on the spindle, make sure your stylus gently penetrates the groove, then turn her on and pump it up! And once you are finished, no matter how intense the session gets, treat her with great respect and a delicate touch before placing her back on the shelf... and she will treat you right year in and out! :mwah: :hotdog: :heart:

This just gave me a full on robot chubby! :drool:

• Like 1

And to those who complain that Clockwork Angels is to compressed with not enough dynamic range get the vinyl instead. The vinyl have 5 db of more dynamic range :yes:

Wow 5 db! I really have to run put an getting me some vinyl now! :eyeroll:

I bought an iPhonograph so I could take my vinyl to the gym and in my car.

I love playing records in my car. When you're done you can use them as a table or as a Frisbee in the park. Play catch with your dog. Ladies 45's can be used as earrings but only if they are matching. I just love Vinyl, so versatile! :codger:

And to those who complain that Clockwork Angels is to compressed with not enough dynamic range get the vinyl instead. The vinyl have 5 db of more dynamic range :yes:

Wow 5 db! I really have to run put an getting me some vinyl now! :eyeroll:

Doesn't sound like much, but going from 7db in dynamic range (which is crap btw) to 12db (which is far from crap) does make helluva difference ;)

• Like 1

*Theoretically* Digital audio (especially 24-bit or more) has greater dynamic range and better signal to noise ratio than analog. Rarely this is the actual case in finished musical works, especially with pop/rock CDs and *especially* in the last 10 or so years...

It all depends on the hands using the tools.

I still own CDs that I'd bought in the mid-80s and they haven't "rotted".

To my ears though, vinyl sounds better. There's a very slight natural compression and "creaminess" to the sound that makes it all buttery good to the ear.

I love playing records in my car. When you're done you can use them as a table or as a Frisbee in the park. Play catch with your dog. Ladies 45's can be used as earrings but only if they are matching. I just love Vinyl, so versatile! :codger:

My Vinyl rip of CA sounds great in my car. Better than the CD rip.

Like I said, if you're in the "sounds fine to me" crowd and wouldn't be able to differentiate greater dynamic range then we are in agreement, Vinyl is not for you.

Edited by toscanobarga
  • Like 1

I understand. Hey, I don't live in a cave!

I use CD's and MP3's as well.

I also realize this is a partial Troll... that said... I'll bite. :ranton:

I love Frisbee... I have had many great Frisbee sessions while smoking nugs and enjoying "vitamin A" while jamming ESL...and no, vinyl does not make a good Frisbee... maybe a decent "James Bond Villain" weapon? I think a well-trained super-villain could behead someone w/ a vinyl record if they knew all the proper factors: gravity, spindrift, weight ratios, polarity, inertia, etc.

All I am saying Swami is... life is too short NOT to indulge in the little things that make life worth living. Most of us can't indulge every night... most nights it's sirloin and boxed wine. But when it's time to treat oneself... I enjoy Prime grade 3" bone-in Ribeye and a bottle of 2001 Cakebread from the cellar.

I own 5 bottles of 20+ y/o Scotch...but on most nights, it's a dram of Old Pulteney!

In most of the rooms in my house, there are smaller TV's w/ no stereo system...but in my living room is the 65" Samsung 3-D LED Smart TV w/ a pimped out Yamaha home theater.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Is it practical to play Vinyl all the time? Of course not! But down in my studio basement, when I really want to treat my brain/ears to pure audiophile indulgence... It's my Technics and Event Monitors, a pipe, a snifter of Napoleon, and I'm in the Q-Zone!

Life happens my friend...all I'm saying is stop and smell the roses. But, if you really cannot discern and appreciate the massive difference between vinyl and not vinyl... then why go on about it? Obviously...it's like Bubble Tape... It's for US and not You! :rantoff:

I understand. Hey, I don't live in a cave!

I use CD's and MP3's as well.

I also realize this is a partial Troll... that said... I'll bite. :ranton:

I love Frisbee... I have had many great Frisbee sessions while smoking nugs and enjoying "vitamin A" while jamming ESL...and no, vinyl does not make a good Frisbee... maybe a decent "James Bond Villain" weapon? I think a well-trained super-villain could behead someone w/ a vinyl record if they knew all the proper factors: gravity, spindrift, weight ratios, polarity, inertia, etc.

All I am saying Swami is... life is too short NOT to indulge in the little things that make life worth living. Most of us can't indulge every night... most nights it's sirloin and boxed wine. But when it's time to treat oneself... I enjoy Prime grade 3" bone-in Ribeye and a bottle of 2001 Cakebread from the cellar.

I own 5 bottles of 20+ y/o Scotch...but on most nights, it's a dram of Old Pulteney!

In most of the rooms in my house, there are smaller TV's w/ no stereo system...but in my living room is the 65" Samsung 3-D LED Smart TV w/ a pimped out Yamaha home theater.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Is it practical to play Vinyl all the time? Of course not! But down in my studio basement, when I really want to treat my brain/ears to pure audiophile indulgence... It's my Technics and Event Monitors, a pipe, a snifter of Napoleon, and I'm in the Q-Zone!

Life happens my friend...all I'm saying is stop and smell the roses. But, if you really cannot discern and appreciate the massive difference between vinyl and not vinyl... then why go on about it? Obviously...it's like Bubble Tape... It's for US and not You! :rantoff:

I had a huge collection of Vinyl and a collection of personal cassette tapes to match for my car up until 1987. However, one HYF came out I bought my last Vinyl album. The industry was changing and I was tired of looking for phonograph needles everywhere and not finding any. So I began to listen to the radio where they were giving away brand new CD Players to the 10th Caller...(Of Course). Anyway aftewr several attempts I was able to get my free CD Player. I drove to the radio station and picked it up went to the Specs, bought HYF on CD and didn't look back. The next summer I had a yard sell and sold all my Vinyl Disk. Even my RUSH collection which included a Red Vinyl Version of Hemispheres. (I got top dollar for that one and its only going for $70 now on Ebay!) Anyway I went on a CD shopping spree which has not ended to this date. Just received the New Fates Warning on CD. Man does it sound Great! Who knows what I would have received my mail if it were a Record. Regardless, I find CD to be way more convenient and I haven't lost any yet to the elements. This wasn't the case with vinyl. I spent many a days restocking my collection with the same damn records because it had a scratch during a lead or too many pops and hisses. I really don't miss that at all. I went on youtube the other day to post a rip from a vinyl copy of The Beatles Loney Heart Club Band and it was riddled with Pops and hisses. Maybe many people find that nostalgic but I just find it annoying. One reason being that Records play right side up. All sorts of dust and crap fall on to them creating these pops once the needled touches them. CD on the other hand by most parts play upside down allowing the Laser to track on a much cleaner surface and if it doesn't a quick swipe on a clothe will do the job. It took way to much effort to keep my record collection in top form. My CD Collection is in the Thousands and I don't have to bother much with them. I have a family and I really don't have the time to sit and clean records on a daily basis just to keep them in pristene order. Sorry guys, Its CDs and MP3s for me! I do miss my RED Hemispheres though!

Here's the link I spoke of earlier. This sounds just awful and believe me, I didn't handle my records the way this guy did and eventually they all sounded like this anyway. You can clearly see this album is warped too. I leave My CD out in the heat and they are just fine at the end of the day. One of the Beatles best albums destroyed by Pops and hisses. Its a crime really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G7VlN2lp14

Edited by losingit2k

Off topic but my dad installed a 45 RPM record player in our car in the late 60's. He bought it in Austria, it was a Phillips brand. Since the entire record playing mechanism had it's own shock absorbers, it didn't skip unless you hit a major bump. Having a song that lasted 3.5 minutes sure didn't make it practical but looking back, that was a cool thing to have in a 1968 Beaumont.

Back on topic...The Garden...a great track and a perfect way to end CA.

• Like 3

I know I hadn´t been around for some years, I know... sad but true... but would some be willing to find me a copy of the Garden Picture Disc?? The Black-Friday won´t happen in Europe, there is no Chance for me to get copy over here in Germany. Of cause I will cover Postage and Packing together with the Price of the Picture Disc. Any Help is much appriciated. PM me if so. Edited by Phoenix

Life happens my friend...all I'm saying is stop and smell the roses.

We all have different ideas of what the roses are.

Yeah my roses lie at the end of two beautiful legs not in the center of a vinyl record. :)

Yeah my roses lie at the end of two beautiful legs not in the center of a vinyl record. :)

Foot man, eh?

:rfl: Freak'in priceless
  • Like 1