Fantastic Four

Batman

I laugh every time I see someone use "knickers" in that way. laugh.gif

It's just FUNNY, is all. tongue.gif

I saw FF Friday night. It was better than I expected but still not that great. The movie had some good moments and a few bad ones. Including one that just left me scratching my head. The humor in the movie was terrific. I wasn't expecting there to be so many jokes and the fact that the jokes were all pretty good ones was nice. I give it 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

QUOTE (Batman @ Jul 10 2005, 12:25 AM)

After so many good Comic Book Movies (Spiderman-men The Hulk) this one was fighting an up hill battle from the start.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the phone a second, chief.

'The Hulk' was good?! I think you should probably 'splain that.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 11 2005, 10:31 AM)

After so many good Comic Book Movies (Spiderman-men The Hulk) this one was fighting an up hill battle from the start.

I agree. I didn't think The Hulk was all that great myself... no.gif

I agree with Jack, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The press on it was terrible, so I was expecting another "Shark Boy/Lava Girl" experience. I took my 5 year old daughter (who can handle PG-13 violence, and there was no sex or language issues in the movie) and she absolutely loved it. She wants to see it again. I, too, give it 2.5 stars out of five.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 11 2005, 11:31 AM)

Ok the Hulk may not have been the best one to use it wasn't that bad.

I wasn't that impressed with it the first time I saw it but after watching it again i grew to think it was a good "SUPERHERO" movie it was better then Daredevil,Batman Foreverand Batman&Robin.

SOO>>>>>>> tongue.gif to you all

J/K biggrin.gif

i was interested in the fantastic four until i heard the majorly crappy reviews, and no one's comments here are really encouraging me to see it - this will be a fun renter for when my expectations go way down, and besides, i haven't even seen batman yet. i think the x-men and spiderman movies have set the bar for superhero movies. it's such a specific and as of yet fairly small genre that the bad ones or mediocre ones really stand out. i've still never seen the hulk, even on video!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 11 2005, 08:41 PM)
i was interested in the fantastic four until i heard the majorly crappy reviews, and no one's comments here are really encouraging me to see it - this will be a fun renter for when my expectations go way down, and besides, i haven't even seen batman yet. i think the x-men and spiderman movies have set the bar for superhero movies. it's such a specific and as of yet fairly small genre that the bad ones or mediocre ones really stand out. i've still never seen the hulk, even on video!

^^^ dazed025.gif You haven't seen Batman??? dazed025.gif ^^^^^^^^^

You should go see it now right now drop everything else your doing. biggrin.gif

Batman Begins I think reset that bar. I am a little partial to Batman however.

Fantastic Four is a good rain day matinee movie.

It was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't set the bar very high. The story was ho-hum, and Dr. Doom wasn't so much a villain as a brat who got his toys taken away. As for the heroes, I ended up liking Mr. Fantastic, (Ioan Grufford) even though his accent went barely hidden. Even though Michael Chiklis was great as the Thing, I thought he looked a little small. At least they didn't make the mistake of making the Thing CGI.

A couple of things:

-The Human Torch was by far the coolest part of the movie. His character and the effects they used to represent his power were awesome.

- Mr. Fantastic's and Invisible woman have creepy powers. I never thought about it reading the comics, I guess because you know they're drawings, but in a real life context, they are really weird.

-I love Jessica Alba. She is a super hottie, but she doesn't screm "super brainy scientist." It's not anything about hot women being unintelligent, because my wife's the hottest, smartest woman I know. I think she did well in the movie.

-If there is a sequel, I hope they spend a little more time on the plot. This was the movie's weakest aspect.

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jul 23 2005, 06:50 AM)
It was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't set the bar very high. The story was ho-hum, and Dr. Doom wasn't so much a villain as a brat who got his toys taken away. As for the heroes, I ended up liking Mr. Fantastic, (Ioan Grufford) even though his accent went barely hidden. Even though Michael Chiklis was great as the Thing, I thought he looked a little small. At least they didn't make the mistake of making the Thing CGI.

A couple of things:
-The Human Torch was by far the coolest part of the movie. His character and the effects they used to represent his power were awesome.

- Mr. Fantastic's and Invisible woman have creepy powers. I never thought about it reading the comics, I guess because you know they're drawings, but in a real life context, they are really weird.

-I love Jessica Alba. She is a super hottie, but she doesn't screm "super brainy scientist." It's not anything about hot women being unintelligent, because my wife's the hottest, smartest woman I know. I think she did well in the movie.

-If there is a sequel, I hope they spend a little more time on the plot. This was the movie's weakest aspect.

They're supposedly starting shooting a sequel as soon as spring next year.

Chiklis was small? I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know. 'Small' as in not muscular enough or too short or both? I was reading this fitness magazine which featured him and his training regime for the movie and he seemed to be in great shape.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2005, 08:05 PM)

Chiklis was small? I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know. 'Small' as in not muscular enough or too short or both? I was reading this fitness magazine which featured him and his training regime for the movie and he seemed to be in great shape.

I haven't seen the movie yet (probalby will wait for the dvd), and as a comic reader (batman mostly though), Chiklis looks way too small as The Thing. I've always imagined the Thing being near the size of the Hulk. The Thing in the movie just looks like a normal guy who grew some rock on him.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 23 2005, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2005, 08:05 PM)

Chiklis was small?  I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know.  'Small' as in not muscular enough or too short or both?  I was reading this fitness magazine which featured him and his training regime for the movie and he seemed to be in great shape.

I haven't seen the movie yet (probalby will wait for the dvd), and as a comic reader (batman mostly though), Chiklis looks way too small as The Thing. I've always imagined the Thing being near the size of the Hulk. The Thing in the movie just looks like a normal guy who grew some rock on him.

Not to be anal or comic geeky (but I probably am wink.gif ), but originally in the comics the Thing isn't supposed to be tall...actually shorter than Mr.Fantastic. He should just be a bit bulky but not necessarily big like the Hulk.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2005, 07:18 PM)
Not to be anal or comic geeky (but I probably am wink.gif ), but originally in the comics the Thing isn't supposed to be tall...actually shorter than Mr.Fantastic. He should just be a bit bulky but not necessarily big like the Hulk.

yeah i expected to see those huge eybrows from the comics

Don't ask me why, but I saw this today. Sheer boredom I guess.

Wow, where to begin. Was there even a plot or did they just throw random pictures together with dialogue and call it a film? The CGI looked more like you were trapped in a video game than watching a movie. The Thing looked like a guy juiced up in plastic. It seemed like to me they were just recycling the movie from Spider-Man, only with different characters. Freak accident happens, heroes get special powers (yes I know the comic book). Bad guy runs big company. Company goes bankrupt. Board members oust bad guy. Bad guy kills board members. Bad guy trys to kill heroes, heroes win. The end. Well, at least they didn't kill Dr. Doom off...