Next Album Project an Instrumental Compilation?

Wingmaster

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-neil-peart-on-rushs-new-lp-and-being-a-bleeding-heart-libertarian-20120612

As I've often stated, I would love nothing more than a tour that featured the instrumentals of Rush including YYZ, La Villa, TMMB, Limbo, Leave That Thing Alone, Where's My Thing, Hope, and Broon's Bane at least.

I was just reading the above piece from last year and Neil in response to a related question is quoted as having said the following;

What gave you the initial idea to make this a concept record?

The nice thing is that it sort of grew in the telling. It started with a conversation in 2009. We got together in Los Angeles and started to think about our next year. One of the projects we discussed was doing a compilation of all of our instrumentals, which Geddy suggested. I said, "Yeah, maybe we could make a new one to go with it. Maybe something a little more extended."

I'm hoping that the next album is exactly that followed by a tour of the same, with largely their instrumental pieces and a couple of new ones.

How cool would that be! ... or am I in a minority?

• Like 3

I would love to see that, as a bonus disc of the next studio album and I hope there will be at least one more. As long as they keep on touring I'm happy with almost everything they play.
  • Like 1

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-neil-peart-on-rushs-new-lp-and-being-a-bleeding-heart-libertarian-20120612

As I've often stated, I would love nothing more than a tour that featured the instrumentals of Rush including YYZ, La Villa, TMMB, Limbo, Leave That Thing Alone, Where's My Thing, Hope, and Broon's Bane at least.

I was just reading the above piece from last year and Neil in response to a related question is quoted as having said the following;

What gave you the initial idea to make this a concept record?

The nice thing is that it sort of grew in the telling. It started with a conversation in 2009. We got together in Los Angeles and started to think about our next year. One of the projects we discussed was doing a compilation of all of our instrumentals, which Geddy suggested. I said, "Yeah, maybe we could make a new one to go with it. Maybe something a little more extended."

I'm hoping that the next album is exactly that followed by a tour of the same, with largely their instrumental pieces and a couple of new ones.

How cool would that be! ... or am I in a minority?

All I can say is, nobody better put you down for being a minority, I tell you that! :yes:

Clockwork Angels is basically an instrumental album but with Geddy's voice in it. Imagine if a majority of the songs in the album didn't have his voice? They would still kickass.

And I would be alright with a true instrumental album. Perhaps do something, kind of like Feedback, but an extra 20 minutes longer and with a couple new songs.

Even though, honestly, if Rush were to end on a high note, Clockwork Angels would be it. The Garden being their "last new song" we ever hear from them is amazing.

• Like 2

I think a compilation of previously released instrumentals + 1 or 2 new ones would fall flat. In my opinion, the fans interested in the deep cut instrumentals already own the back catalog and wouldn't pony up the $$ to buy this compilation. People listen to music differently today with Spotify, Itunes, etc. and cobbling together a playlist of instrumentals can easily be done without having to buy a CD.

As far as a tour "featuring" the instrumentals, I think this too would be a bust if they used this as the main promotional selling point AND expected to play arenas. Again, my opinion but I think you would see a steep drop off in attendance especially coming off of the less than "casual" fan friendly setlist of the CA tour. I think it could work if they were willing to drop down to smaller theaters.

Personally, I think they should follow the Time Machine model... release a couple of songs (instrumentals, ok!) and tour featuring either PeW or 2112 in its entirety. This of course assumes they are not releasing another album to support. Plenty of demand for either of those two which translates into butts in the seats... and $$ in their bank accounts.

Edited by Midway Hawkers

I think a compilation of previously released instrumentals + 1 or 2 new ones would fall flat. In my opinion, the fans interested in the deep cut instrumentals already own the back catalog and wouldn't pony up the $$ to buy this compilation. People listen to music differently today with Spotify, Itunes, etc. and cobbling together a playlist of instrumentals can easily be done without having to buy a CD.

As far as a tour "featuring" the instrumentals, I think this too would be a bust if they used this as the main promotional selling point AND expected to play arenas. Again, my opinion but I think you would see a steep drop off in attendance especially coming off of the less than "casual" fan friendly setlist of the CA tour. I think it could work if they were willing to drop down to smaller theaters.

Personally, I think they should follow the Time Machine model... release a couple of songs (instrumentals, ok!) and tour featuring either PW or 2112 in its entirety. This of course assumes they are not releasing another album to support. Plenty of demand for either of those two which translates into butts in the seats... and $$ in their bank accounts.

PeW or PoW? We just got PoW on the last tour, and there is nothing on that album for casual fans.

Personally, I think they should follow the Time Machine model... release a couple of songs (instrumentals, ok!) and tour featuring either PW or 2112 in its entirety. This of course assumes they are not releasing another album to support. Plenty of demand for either of those two which translates into butts in the seats... and $$ in their bank accounts.

PeW or PoW? We just got PoW on the last tour, and there is nothing on that album for casual fans.

PeW... agree to both your points! I'll edit

And I would be alright with a true instrumental album. Perhaps do something, kind of like Feedback, but an extra 20 minutes longer and with a couple new songs.

Exactly!

Again, I'd love to see them do Stairway to Heaven, IMO they'd do it better than Zep.

What they need to do is release a MOSTLY instrumental album, something with long instrumental parts and short areas with vocals. That would make most people happy. I'd love to hear something on the order of Cygnus X1/La Villa/YYZ/Mal Nar. :)

I don't know if I'd prefer they stop with Clockwork Angels, rather than releasing an album with only/mostly instrumentals. Seems to me like a step in the wrong direction. Besides, it would make it obvious to the band that they're not able to hold their standard, and thus they would call it quits.
  • Like 1

Exactly!

Again, I'd love to see them do Stairway to Heaven, IMO they'd do it better than Zep.

Maybe. Stairway has always been a Zep (now a Heart) thing. People associate the song with Robert Plant and it'd be bizarre to hear Geddy sing it. Now, a song I'd love Rush to try out would have to be either When the Levee Breaks or Achilles Last Stand. I feel they'd tear those songs up while keeping it known its still a Zep song.

There's been a similar thread to this. Regardless if they do this they would add a few new instrumentals to it.

RUSH: Instrumental

Hemisphere (Prelude)

New Instrumental (Precipiter)

New Instrumental (A'dieu aux Fans)

Where's my Thing?

Leave that thing Alone

Limbo

Main Monkey Business

Mal-Nar

Didacts and Narpits

YYZ

New Instrumental (Skin Trade) Studio Recorded Drum Solo

Hope

La Villa Strangiatto

2112 Overture/ Temples/ Finale (Edited Remix)

:AlienSmiley:

I would be happy if they released something along the lines of a 12-track album but with an instrumental song representing every other track (2, 4, 6 etc.). What would be nice though is a development of their current sound but with a return to more epic works.

Or possibly a series of songs focusing on various historical events, as shown in "Manhattan Project".

• Like 1