Upcoming albums poll Part 2 - September edition - which are you buying? All, some, one or none?

treeduck

RUSH vapor trails, Fates Warning Darkness in a Different Light, Dream Theater, and Haken's the Mountain  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these upcoming albums will you be buying?

• I'll be buying all four, the new Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Haken and RUSH Vapor Trails reissue
    • NONE! These bands are pure shite now! Save your money, buy butt monkey juice it's a better buy
    • I'll be buying the DT, RUSH and Fates Warning, but who the FOKK are Haken?
    • I'll get the Haken, the other three are burned out fuckks with more wigs and facelifts than Joan Collins!
    • I'll wait and see about the Dream Theater, the RUSH is a no brainer, the Haken is a yes too, who else did you say?
    • RUSH and Dream Theater yes of course, but Fates Warning are MTV prog fairies who can't get it up with their girlfriends so they go gay in motels at the weekend
    • I might download one or two of them, but not for months, when I can be bothered...
    • The new Fates Warning will be shit, the VT remaster is meh, Dream Theater are shot to pieces and as for Haken, they should be called Hacks!
    • I'll grab at least two of these, and jerk myself stupid in the bath with axle grease for lube as always!
    • Not only am I grabbing all four I'm getting the deluxe golden hard-on editions of them!
    • Listen, my name is Tony R, Dream Theater are piss-swilling nematodes, Fates Warning are battery controlled corpses on speed, RUSH are dead and Haken well I want to use the hacks joke too for them...
    • My name is METALDAD, I'm gonna kill Peart and Terry Brown for f***ing up RUSH's production the last couple of decades, I'll buy the DT and FW meanwhile...
    • My name is Earl "Mega Mondo Mogul of metal" RUSHHEAD Ramer, am I buying these 4 albums? Does the Pope shit on bears in the woods with Neil Peart f***ing Alice Cooper jacking off in the bushes, of course I will you RUSH punks and about 16 Jap co...
    • My name is Steevo, I may look into these releases in about 10 years time
    • My name is Janie, I am sex, he me do my heavy breathing down the phone!
    • My name is Tick, RUSH is glue that I like to sniff, DT is nectar it makes my dick stiff, the other two albums? Pffft!
    • My name is rushgoober and I secretly want to live as a woman in Los Angels, yes I'm in fact the Vapor Trails producer's young and nubile wife!!
    • My name is Johnny Blaze, RUSH once wrote a song about me, it was the last time Geddy sang like his balls hadn't dropped, it was called Ghost Rider and you KNOW I need the remaster!
    • I'm ya_big tree Chrissie, I buy albums based on how sexy I find the males in the bands, Labrie = fat drug fiend, ummm no, Lifeson = fat bald cake freak? maybe... Matheos = old withered wino ugh no, Haken = young men in poser jeans YES PWEEEZE
    • Tick, Roses are red so is Neil's nose, Portnoy is blue, and I want the new Flying Colors album, why isn't that in this poll treeduck you fuckk??????????

Dream Theater, Haken, possibly Fates Warning, and maybe Vapor Trails if I can afford it.

See you can't resist the lure of Fates Warning, even though you were "never crazy about them" even during your prog metal days... ;)

:LOL:

I figured that I'll listen to a few more of their older albums, and if I like them then I'll get the new one too.

:cheers: :guitar:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/salute.gif.pagespeed.ce.Y7gD4dP4Uc.gif

Rush and Dream Theater for sure. Haven't gotten around listening to Fates Warning yet, but that's because I don't know which album or song to start off with as a first time listener. I had no clue who Haken were till today, but I listened to one of their tracks just now, and I dig what I'm hearing. I'll probably download their older stuff before deciding on getting their new album.
  • Like 2

Dream Theater is to Rush as Poison is to Van Halen.

Wrong on SO many levels!

it's not even an accurate analogy. dream theater could possibly be seen as a poor man's rush (with the obvious influence and whatnot), but poison a poor man's van halen? if anything, poison's a poor man's motley crue, and motley crue's already poor

• Like 1

http://gunshyassassin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Lemmy-682_1160702a.jpg

1. "Death Machine"

2. "Heartbreaker"

3. "Coming Back to You"

4. "Going to Mexico"

5. "Courage"

6. "Queen of the Damned"

7. "Lost Woman Blues"

8. "Crying Shame"

9. "Paralyzed"

10. "Dust and Glass"

11. "Coup de Grace"

12. "Silence When You Speak to Me"

13. "Knife"

Edited by treeduck

Wrong on SO many levels!

it's not even an accurate analogy. dream theater could possibly be seen as a poor man's rush (with the obvious influence and whatnot), but poison a poor man's van halen? if anything, poison's a poor man's motley crue, and motley crue's already poor

Zakk Wylde once described Poison (spot on, IMO) as Van Halen turned up to 10 in all the wrong directions. Both bands are imitators, without apparently really understanding what made the bands they're copying great.

Wrong on SO many levels!

Zakk Wylde once described Poison (spot on, IMO) as Van Halen turned up to 10 in all the wrong directions. Both bands are imitators, without apparently really understanding what made the bands they're copying great.

Neither of the bands sound like the band you say they're imitating though...

Poison sound like Motley Crue as has been pointed out and neither of them sound anything like Van Halen. Dream Theater sound more like Queensryche if anyone, neither sound like RUSH, Queensryche sound like toned down Priest and Maiden, Dream Theater have elements of Queensryche, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden. Maybe they were influenced by RUSH but they sound nothing like them.

There's no RUSH or Van Halen in any of these bands to my ears, maybe you hear RUSH because you hear RUSH in every band... :huh:

Some Rush fans who don't like DT seem to have a fixation on DT being RUSH wannabees but it was really only one guy who was the wannabee and he's left the band now...

1 - T-D, which former member of DT are you talking about, Charlie Dominici or Derek Sherinian :huh: :huh: ? Mike POrtnoy, if anything, was accused of bringing too much heaviness to the band´s sound, trying to get them to sound like Metallica too much?

2 - Jokes aside, Rick, I can understand you not being a DT fan...a lot of Rush fans hate them. And chances are that after 11 albums, with another one underway, your opinion on them won´t change much. That´s ok though, it´s a "love them or hate them" kind of band;

3 - I heard one of the Haken tracks you guys posted, it sounds great, kinda like Dream Theater meets Incubus with tinges of Yes. I might buy their new CD as well, then!!

4 - I won´t get the new Motorhead, but it´s good that you remember to add it to the thread. Hopefully Lemmy will recover from his recent health problems and this won´t be their last record!

5 - Next time I DEMAND a tag and a place in the ballot! I love these topics.

1 - T-D, which former member of DT are you talking about, Charlie Dominici or Derek Sherinian :huh: :huh: ? Mike POrtnoy, if anything, was accused of bringing too much heaviness to the band´s sound, trying to get them to sound like Metallica too much?

2 - Jokes aside, Rick, I can understand you not being a DT fan...a lot of Rush fans hate them. And chances are that after 11 albums, with another one underway, your opinion on them won´t change much. That´s ok though, it´s a "love them or hate them" kind of band;

3 - I heard one of the Haken tracks you guys posted, it sounds great, kinda like Dream Theater meets Incubus with tinges of Yes. I might buy their new CD as well, then!!

4 - I won´t get the new Motorhead, but it´s good that you remember to add it to the thread. Hopefully Lemmy will recover from his recent health problems and this won´t be their last record!

5 - Next time I DEMAND a tag and a place in the ballot! I love these topics.

1 Derek Sherinian thinks he's GOD. Portnoy thinks Peart is GOD, Lars Ulrich thinks Dave Mustaine is GOD after having his ass kicked by him! http://www.dinasaurhedcult.com/forums/images/smilies/guitar.gif

2 Petrucci's picking is god speed! http://www.elitearchery.com/forums/images/smilies/guitar.gif

3 Haken are gods http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/bth_Smiley01-1.gif

4 Lemmy is the only true GOD! :blaze: http://www.fenderpick.com/images/smilies/guitar%20god.gif

5 In these threads I am GOD! :angel:

Wrong on SO many levels!

Poison sound like Motley Crue as has been pointed out and neither of them sound anything like Van Halen. Dream Theater sound more like Queensryche if anyone, neither sound like RUSH, Queensryche sound like toned down Priest and Maiden, Dream Theater have elements of Queensryche, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden. Maybe they were influenced by RUSH but they sound nothing like them.

There's no RUSH or Van Halen in any of these bands to my ears, maybe you hear RUSH because you hear RUSH in every band... :huh:

Some Rush fans who don't like DT seem to have a fixation on DT being RUSH wannabees but it was really only one guy who was the wannabee and he's left the band now...

What the hell are you talking about, Duck?

You're fixating on the makeup, and thinking that there's some similarity between Poison and (I suppose) Shout at the Devil - Theater of Pain era Crue (both great albums, btw). Just listen to the music. If there's any hair metal band that was emulating Roth era VH it's Poison. Their discography is a bunch of Unchained and Panama rips. And, if we're going to focus on visuals, every video they released clearly used Panama as a blue print.

Dream Theater sound like Ozzy? Put down the pipe, Duck. Please. It's for your own good. :smoke:

And, frankly, any band that sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen should be taken into custody immediately, and charged with aggravated idiocy.

DT´s new single will be available on USA Today in just over an hour. People in the Dream Theater Forum have a countdown for the song to be available - check it out http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130805T16&p0=136&msg=The+Enemy+Inside

Vapor Trails reissue and DT for sure, though I don't think Fates Warning are fairies.

Bbut there was no other option for just RUSH and DT so yes.

Wrong on SO many levels!

I think DT had a pretty obvious rush influence in the 90s, you can definitely hear some influence but they're hardly the rush rip-offs that many claim they are

Wrong on SO many levels!

zakk wylde's lame though! not as lame as poison but still

Wrong on SO many levels!

You're fixating on the makeup, and thinking that there's some similarity between Poison and (I suppose) Shout at the Devil - Theater of Pain era Crue (both great albums, btw). Just listen to the music. If there's any hair metal band that was emulating Roth era VH it's Poison. Their discography is a bunch of Unchained and Panama rips. And, if we're going to focus on visuals, every video they released clearly used Panama as a blue print.

Dream Theater sound like Ozzy? Put down the pipe, Duck. Please. It's for your own good. :smoke:

And, frankly, any band that sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen should be taken into custody immediately, and charged with aggravated idiocy.

I think poison has a lot in common with pain-era crue, that's where the $$$ and the cocaine and all the pussy they were scoring got a little more important than playing good rock music (although I suspect that was the prime motivation for all the bands of that genre)

I do agree with you that dream theater don't sound like ozzy....sure you can hear some randy influence on petrucci's playing, but thats it

I think DT had a pretty obvious rush influence in the 90s, you can definitely hear some influence but they're hardly the rush rip-offs that many claim they are

You can hear it in minor places rarely here and there, mostly a guitar chord will remind me of something but listen to when this song kicks in, it's pretty apparent in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG7r32tQTak

Wrong on SO many levels!

zakk wylde's lame though! not as lame as poison but still

You don't like Mr. Pinch Harmonics? But what about his playing on Steel Dragon's epic Living the Life?

Wrong on SO many levels!

When I say Malmsteen I'm talking about the use of neo-classical chops which John boy uses and Alex Lifeson never uses. You're not going to say that Petrucci sounds more like Lifeson than he does Yngwie?

Poison do not sound like Van Halen, CC Deville is no Eddie Van Halen! He's definitely more of a Mick Mars in skill, tone, chops and overall philosophy . Where's CC Deville's swing? Where's his brown sound? Where's his jazz-style lines? Ed tries to emulate Allan Holdsworth. CC Deville probably didn't know who Holdsworth was in 1986, probably still doesn't!

As for Randy Rhoads and Dream Theater, just listen to Sacrified Sons for an obvious Randy Rhoads riff rip-off!