Upcoming albums poll Part 2 - September edition - which are you buying? All, some, one or none?

treeduck

RUSH vapor trails, Fates Warning Darkness in a Different Light, Dream Theater, and Haken's the Mountain  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these upcoming albums will you be buying?

• I'll be buying all four, the new Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Haken and RUSH Vapor Trails reissue
    • NONE! These bands are pure shite now! Save your money, buy butt monkey juice it's a better buy
    • I'll be buying the DT, RUSH and Fates Warning, but who the FOKK are Haken?
    • I'll get the Haken, the other three are burned out fuckks with more wigs and facelifts than Joan Collins!
    • I'll wait and see about the Dream Theater, the RUSH is a no brainer, the Haken is a yes too, who else did you say?
    • RUSH and Dream Theater yes of course, but Fates Warning are MTV prog fairies who can't get it up with their girlfriends so they go gay in motels at the weekend
    • I might download one or two of them, but not for months, when I can be bothered...
    • The new Fates Warning will be shit, the VT remaster is meh, Dream Theater are shot to pieces and as for Haken, they should be called Hacks!
    • I'll grab at least two of these, and jerk myself stupid in the bath with axle grease for lube as always!
    • Not only am I grabbing all four I'm getting the deluxe golden hard-on editions of them!
    • Listen, my name is Tony R, Dream Theater are piss-swilling nematodes, Fates Warning are battery controlled corpses on speed, RUSH are dead and Haken well I want to use the hacks joke too for them...
    • My name is METALDAD, I'm gonna kill Peart and Terry Brown for f***ing up RUSH's production the last couple of decades, I'll buy the DT and FW meanwhile...
    • My name is Earl "Mega Mondo Mogul of metal" RUSHHEAD Ramer, am I buying these 4 albums? Does the Pope shit on bears in the woods with Neil Peart f***ing Alice Cooper jacking off in the bushes, of course I will you RUSH punks and about 16 Jap co...
    • My name is Steevo, I may look into these releases in about 10 years time
    • My name is Janie, I am sex, he me do my heavy breathing down the phone!
    • My name is Tick, RUSH is glue that I like to sniff, DT is nectar it makes my dick stiff, the other two albums? Pffft!
    • My name is rushgoober and I secretly want to live as a woman in Los Angels, yes I'm in fact the Vapor Trails producer's young and nubile wife!!
    • My name is Johnny Blaze, RUSH once wrote a song about me, it was the last time Geddy sang like his balls hadn't dropped, it was called Ghost Rider and you KNOW I need the remaster!
    • I'm ya_big tree Chrissie, I buy albums based on how sexy I find the males in the bands, Labrie = fat drug fiend, ummm no, Lifeson = fat bald cake freak? maybe... Matheos = old withered wino ugh no, Haken = young men in poser jeans YES PWEEEZE
    • Tick, Roses are red so is Neil's nose, Portnoy is blue, and I want the new Flying Colors album, why isn't that in this poll treeduck you fuckk??????????

Dream Theater is to Rush as Poison is to Van Halen.

Wrong on SO many levels!

it's not even an accurate analogy. dream theater could possibly be seen as a poor man's rush (with the obvious influence and whatnot), but poison a poor man's van halen? if anything, poison's a poor man's motley crue, and motley crue's already poor

Zakk Wylde once described Poison (spot on, IMO) as Van Halen turned up to 10 in all the wrong directions. Both bands are imitators, without apparently really understanding what made the bands they're copying great.

Neither of the bands sound like the band you say they're imitating though...

Poison sound like Motley Crue as has been pointed out and neither of them sound anything like Van Halen. Dream Theater sound more like Queensryche if anyone, neither sound like RUSH, Queensryche sound like toned down Priest and Maiden, Dream Theater have elements of Queensryche, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden. Maybe they were influenced by RUSH but they sound nothing like them.

There's no RUSH or Van Halen in any of these bands to my ears, maybe you hear RUSH because you hear RUSH in every band... :huh:

Some Rush fans who don't like DT seem to have a fixation on DT being RUSH wannabees but it was really only one guy who was the wannabee and he's left the band now...

What the hell are you talking about, Duck?

You're fixating on the makeup, and thinking that there's some similarity between Poison and (I suppose) Shout at the Devil - Theater of Pain era Crue (both great albums, btw). Just listen to the music. If there's any hair metal band that was emulating Roth era VH it's Poison. Their discography is a bunch of Unchained and Panama rips. And, if we're going to focus on visuals, every video they released clearly used Panama as a blue print.

Dream Theater sound like Ozzy? Put down the pipe, Duck. Please. It's for your own good. :smoke:

And, frankly, any band that sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen should be taken into custody immediately, and charged with aggravated idiocy.

When I say Malmsteen I'm talking about the use of neo-classical chops which John boy uses and Alex Lifeson never uses. You're not going to say that Petrucci sounds more like Lifeson than he does Yngwie?

Poison do not sound like Van Halen, CC Deville is no Eddie Van Halen! He's definitely more of a Mick Mars in skill, tone, chops and overall philosophy . Where's CC Deville's swing? Where's his brown sound? Where's his jazz-style lines? Ed tries to emulate Allan Holdsworth. CC Deville probably didn't know who Holdsworth was in 1986, probably still doesn't!

As for Randy Rhoads and Dream Theater, just listen to Sacrified Sons for an obvious Randy Rhoads riff rip-off!

Duck, my point isn't that Poison does a credible job of sounding like VH. In fact, that's almost the opposite of my point. Poison tries (and fails) to evoke the feel of Roth era VH. Their stage moves reek of a band that wants to be VH. They obviously don't have the talent, or they would sound like them. Which brings me back to my (and Zakk's) point. VH's party boy image isn't what made them great. But Poison obviously thinks it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHcDX1C-J30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0

I just don't see the connection between Van Halen and Poison, and those videos don't change that. It must be a personal connection that you have made Rick, I'm just not seeing it. And I've never heard anyone else make this connection either.

I just don't see the connection between Van Halen and Poison, and those videos don't change that. It must be a personal connection that you have made Rick, I'm just not seeing it. And I've never heard anyone else make this connection either.

Duck, I told you that Zakk said it. It's actually in a documentary about metal.

So you take everything Zakk Wylde says as gospel? This is a guy who has turned himself into a pseudo biker and who tries to sing like Ozzy.

So you take everything Zakk Wylde says as gospel? This is a guy who has turned himself into a pseudo biker and who tries to sing like Ozzy.

Nope. But you said the Poison/Van Halen thing was solely my observation. I'm just pointing out to you that other people say they see it.

Nope. But you said the Poison/Van Halen thing was solely my observation. I'm just pointing out to you that other people say they see it.

You and f***ing Zakk, a really convincing pair! :LOL:

But it's more than just me, no?

No. Well you say it's you and Zakk, I don't know of anyone else. Who else is there? No one else in this thread for starters.

Allmusic don't agree with you either:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/poison-mn0000355616/related

Anyway I know your opinion on Poison now, since you insisted on putting it out there, you think they sound like Van Halen. I'm not an expert myself, I'm not a fan of the band, but I just don't agree. Whatever the case, unless you have something to add I see little point in continuing talking further about this band. I'm bored of this in other words.

No. Well you say it's you and Zakk, I don't know of anyone else. Who else is there? No one else in this thread for starters.

http://www.allmusic....0355616/related

Anyway I know your opinion on Poison now, since you insisted on putting it out there, you think they sound like Van Halen. I'm not an expert myself, I'm not a fan of the band, but I just don't agree. Whatever the case, unless you have something to add I see little point in continuing talking further about this band. I'm bored of this in other words.

Did you read the Allmusic post Duck? It says they're similar to David Lee Roth. It says they're influenced by Van Halen.

You're right about one thing. This is boring.

Did you read the Allmusic post Duck? It says they're similar to David Lee Roth. It says they're influenced by Van Halen.

I knew you'd reach for that. There's no Van Halen in David Lee Roth! I think you're the one who using visuals, you think whathisface looks like David Lee Roth, I think this is the whole basis for your opinion.

Like I said in the other thread Rick N Backer where've you been on this forum before now? I've never noticed your posts? You're like some new boy who popped up all of a sudden. Who are you Rick N Backer and where have you been hiding till now? Where will you go when this conversation is finally over, will you go back to oblivion? This is not to put you down, I just didn't notice you before, it's strange...

I knew you'd reach for that. There's no Van Halen in David Lee Roth! I think you're the one who using visuals, you think whathisface looks like David Lee Roth, I think this is the whole basis for your opinion.

Like I said in the other thread Rick N Backer where've you been on this forum before now? I've never noticed your posts? You're like some new boy who popped up all of a sudden. Who are you Rick N Backer and where have you been hiding till now? Where will you go when this conversation is finally over, will you go back to oblivion? This is not to put you down, I just didn't notice you before, it's strange...

Whatever Duck. Seriously. If you think your recognition, or purported lack thereof, is somehow of importance around here, more power to you, man.

Your own link from the immensely influential Allmusic says Poison was "influenced by" Van Halen. Are you arguing now just to argue?

Whatever Duck. Seriously. If you think your recognition, or purported lack thereof, is somehow of importance around here, more power to you, man.

Your own link from the immensely influential Allmusic says Poison was "influenced by" Van Halen. Are you arguing now just to argue?

I realise your opinion has more weight than mine and I better just f**k off and die. I'll get right on it boss, the pistol is right by my side! Carry on and fight the good fight after I'm gone! :moon: And failing that I'll go out and buy a crack pipe and get in my place while the great Rick N Backer can be the hero of the rock music opinion once more... :smoke: :LOL:

Just for the record, I do agree that Poison are a HORRIBLE attempt at imitating Van Halen, much like a lot of other hair metal bands from the 80´s. And Rick´s perception of DT being Rush copycats is a very common one - I do see a lot of similarities in early DT to Rush, especially on When Dream and Day Unite - Charlie´s voice reminds me of Geddy Lee´s every now and then, and Petrucci was after Lifeson´s guitar sound for WDADU as well. But from a very early stage they´ve grown into a very different direction, with the occasional Rush nod.

Slight change of subject? with the VT remaster, can we assume/hope that some of the songs in VT will make their way into the setlist of their next tour. I for one hope so. The title track, Nocturne and Freeze MUST have their live debut!

what the f**k happened here?

I don't know. I say that I think Poison is a cheap Van Halen imitation, next thing I know Duck's following me into a baseball thread screaming that I'm a Poison fan and he doesn't know who I am. Takes all kinds I guess.

http://www.therushfo...80#entry2956556

You KNOW you love Poison!

Just for the record, I do agree that Poison are a HORRIBLE attempt at imitating Van Halen, much like a lot of other hair metal bands from the 80´s. And Rick´s perception of DT being Rush copycats is a very common one - I do see a lot of similarities in early DT to Rush, especially on When Dream and Day Unite - Charlie´s voice reminds me of Geddy Lee´s every now and then, and Petrucci was after Lifeson´s guitar sound for WDADU as well. But from a very early stage they´ve grown into a very different direction, with the occasional Rush nod.

Slight change of subject? with the VT remaster, can we assume/hope that some of the songs in VT will make their way into the setlist of their next tour. I for one hope so. The title track, Nocturne and Freeze MUST have their live debut!

You're Brazilian so I expect a little crazy talk from you! :smoke:

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: <<<< Samba girls

You're Brazilian so I expect a little crazy talk from you! :smoke:

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: <<<< Samba girls

:crazy: :crazy:

Man, how badass would Vapor Trail sound live on the next tour? :haz: :haz:

:NP: :NP: