Working out

I just got back from the gym. Chest and triceps today. I am sore already. Unfortunately there were no women in the gym to ogle. :(

No women! They are everywhere at my gym. Sure makes working out a pleasure.......... :yes:

My gym is decently packed on a daily basis. Far more women than men.

I'm getting a little frustrated right now in that I'm not very sore and I want to be. I lift enough weight and feel like I push myself while there but I'm just not as sore as I'd like to be.

In order for me to get sore I have to lift heavy. That is I lift an amount of weight that I can only do 4-6 reps on for 4 to 5 sets. I usually do 3 or 4 exercises per muscle group with the first two being heavy and the last exercises are burns where I use less weight but do 10-20 reps for 2 or 3 sets. This completely expends the muscle. I frequently cycle off of weights and move to HIT routines, I usually do weights for 2 or 3 months then go to something HIT for a couple months.

Most of the women I see do cross fit or body weight stuff for strength and I would not get sore doing workouts like that. Maybe you need to go heavier or maybe you just are looking for different results and don't need to burn out your muscles like that. There is a girl in my kickboxing class who does all body weight HIT type routines and she is strong and extremely toned and fit. She never lifts weights and while I bet she would describe herself as exhausted after a workout I doubt she feels sore the same way that I do after a WT session.

Just something to think about.

• Like 1

I just got back from the gym. Chest and triceps today. I am sore already. Unfortunately there were no women in the gym to ogle. :(

No women! They are everywhere at my gym. Sure makes working out a pleasure.......... :yes:

I'm getting a little frustrated right now in that I'm not very sore and I want to be. I lift enough weight and feel like I push myself while there but I'm just not as sore as I'd like to be.

In order for me to get sore I have to lift heavy. That is I lift an amount of weight that I can only do 4-6 reps on for 4 to 5 sets. I usually do 3 or 4 exercises per muscle group with the first two being heavy and the last exercises are burns where I use less weight but do 10-20 reps for 2 or 3 sets. This completely expends the muscle. I frequently cycle off of weights and move to HIT routines, I usually do weights for 2 or 3 months then go to something HIT for a couple months.

Most of the women I see do cross fit or body weight stuff for strength and I would not get sore doing workouts like that. Maybe you need to go heavier or maybe you just are looking for different results and don't need to burn out your muscles like that. There is a girl in my kickboxing class who does all body weight HIT type routines and she is strong and extremely toned and fit. She never lifts weights and while I bet she would describe herself as exhausted after a workout I doubt she feels sore the same way that I do after a WT session.

Just something to think about.

For me, I spend more time in the areas where the ladies are anyway. Because of my hand surgery I can't lift heavy weights anyway. The bigger guys are over there with the weights clanking away. I use the ab machine's, do some curls, some chest and upper body stuff and then hit the treadmill. The ladies are mostly on the treadmills and elliptical machines anyway. Great view and inspiring during my workouts. Also this gym has everything. Tanning, massage machines. Every freaking thing you could think of...

Anyone in here do Aero-Pilates? My wife and I just got a Pilates machine and will start this friday after I assemble the darn thing. We both turned 50 this year and although active we find that are muscles and joints are aching to much. I am under the impression that Pilates keeps the body stretched out and more limber.

Thanks

Anyone in here do Aero-Pilates? My wife and I just got a Pilates machine and will start this friday after I assemble the darn thing. We both turned 50 this year and although active we find that are muscles and joints are aching to much. I am under the impression that Pilates keeps the body stretched out and more limber.

Thanks

I'm 53, but I know nothing about Pilates or Yoga or any of that. Pretty much with just aggressive walking I have lost almost 40 lbs in 6 months. Janie may know something about it. She is the Guru on this thread................ :codger:

Thanks

I'm 53, but I know nothing about Pilates or Yoga or any of that. Pretty much with just aggressive walking I have lost almost 40 lbs in 6 months. Janie may know something about it. She is the Guru on this thread................ :codger:

I don't know about being a guru but I certainly love all things health and exercise. I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts in this thread. I'm learning quite a bit and I like that. As for aeropilates, I've never done it. You'll have to report , alphseeker, (once you get the machine set up) and let us know how you like it.

Cultural side trivia:

Usually, the first thing gyms ask you out here before you join is if you have a tattoo. I've belonged to 3 out here and it's always happened. It's connected to their old fashioned thinking and their idea of associating tattoos with the yakuza. So if you have one you'd better hide it well or lie that you even have one

For the most part you're right duck-San. However, going to the gym is one of the things my gf and I enjoy doing together. They've got things there that we don't have at home: ping pong tables, a great set of massage chairs, and cross country ski machines. We use those things together. The other things we do separately: I lift weights while she takes classes THEN we do the other things I mentioned. So, for me, it's not solely about getting Wolverine-level adamantium bones and Hulk pecs and biceps.

You should look up these vids which have these muscle bound beasts in NYC using nothing but playground equipment to train with. Check it!

I've got to be honest and say, the last time I was in a gym was 1983 and that was the school gym! I don't need a gym, all I need is my front room floor. All this gym crap is bullshit! :madra:

That depends on what results you are after. You can certainly stay fit without the use of gym equipment. However I find that making an appointment with myself to go to the gym and workout has helped me make a habit of it and to stick with it for longer than I ever have in the past.
  • Like 1

Cultural side trivia:

Usually, the first thing gyms ask you out here before you join is if you have a tattoo. I've belonged to 3 out here and it's always happened. It's connected to their old fashioned thinking and their idea of associating tattoos with the yakuza. So if you have one you'd better hide it well or lie that you even have one

I would swear there are more at my gym with tats than without. All the younger hotties seem to have them. They are everywhere. I have one and no one seemed to care. One of the guys that works there took a photo of mine to send to his uncle who is a big Rush fan............. :codger:

I've got to be honest and say, the last time I was in a gym was 1983 and that was the school gym! I don't need a gym, all I need is my front room floor. All this gym crap is bullshit! :madra:

That depends on what results you are after. You can certainly stay fit without the use of gym equipment. However I find that making an appointment with myself to go to the gym and workout has helped me make a habit of it and to stick with it for longer than I ever have in the past.

For me the great scenery never hurts to inspire and motivate either................ :codger:

I go for peace and quiet! No husband, no kids... I'm out of the house. I can swim, cycle, do weights, take a class, relax in the lounge area, sit in the sauna... It's nice. All of which cannot be done at home.
  • Like 1

Standard workout this morning. Just like yesterday I am going to do again later tonight after I pick up my wife from work. I have to do everything I can to keep her into this workout thing. Last night her first attempt at the treadmill was a success. She did the 40 minutes and did a little over 2 miles. She even sped up the machine a little at the end. :hail:

I am sore enough today for both of us. I am going back later for another walk. My wife has finally got the bug (maybe). She is very overweight and I guess has been taking note long enough of my transformation. She has walked 2 miles each of the last 4 days. She has to work until 10 tonight. I am going to pick her up and take her to the gym with me. Her schedule is a little crazy, but I will try to help her until it hopefully becomes something that she "wants" to do. It has to be a passion and a desire, or results will never come........... :codger:

It can take a long time in the beginning to get to that, "I want/need/love to exercise" stage. I just read a report where it stated on average it takes 60 days (I'm sure of constant exercise) before you get to that stage.

Edited by Janie

I am sore enough today for both of us. I am going back later for another walk. My wife has finally got the bug (maybe). She is very overweight and I guess has been taking note long enough of my transformation. She has walked 2 miles each of the last 4 days. She has to work until 10 tonight. I am going to pick her up and take her to the gym with me. Her schedule is a little crazy, but I will try to help her until it hopefully becomes something that she "wants" to do. It has to be a passion and a desire, or results will never come........... :codger:

It can take a long time in the beginning to get to that, "I want/need/love to exercise" stage. I just read a report where it stated on average it takes 60 days (I'm sure of constant exercise) before you get to that stage.

I would say the 60 day thing is probably accurate. I figured it was like any other habit and it takes 3 -4 weeks to make or break one. She did well. I could tell she was a bit nervous at first. I think the other " out of shape " people around may have eased some tension. I know from my own experience walking the neighborhood streets and the treadmill are two different things altogether. The other thing I know with her is that the scale has to show some results and very quickly or she will get discouraged. This has happened in the past. I am praying she see's those results on the scale and keeps pushing forward......

I would say the 60 day thing is probably accurate. I figured it was like any other habit and it takes 3 -4 weeks to make or break one. She did well. I could tell she was a bit nervous at first. I think the other " out of shape " people around may have eased some tension. I know from my own experience walking the neighborhood streets and the treadmill are two different things altogether. The other thing I know with her is that the scale has to show some results and very quickly or she will get discouraged. This has happened in the past. I am praying she see's those results on the scale and keeps pushing forward......

I think it can be discouraging in the those first few weeks. But it takes perseverance and a lot of hard work before seeing those numbers on the scale go down. It's certainly a lifestyle change. Have to eat fewer calories and have to exercise. Dropping the old routine for a new one which takes work can seem very unfun!

Cultural side trivia:

I would swear there are more at my gym with tats than without. All the younger hotties seem to have them. They are everywhere. I have one and no one seemed to care. One of the guys that works there took a photo of mine to send to his uncle who is a big Rush fan............. :codger:

I live in Japan (with all of its subtle and not so subtle prejudices and stereotypes). If you have a tattoo and go to a gym out here it's almost guaranteed you're hiding it. I've never seen one person at a gym out here with a VISIBLE tattoo. Of course, I know the U.S. is a whole different ball game
  • Like 2

Cultural side trivia:

I live in Japan (with all of its subtle and not so subtle prejudices and stereotypes). If you have a tattoo and go to a gym out here it's almost guaranteed you're hiding it. I've never seen one person at a gym out here with a VISIBLE tattoo. Of course, I know the U.S. is a whole different ball game

My bad JB. Didn't know..........

Cultural side trivia:

My bad JB. Didn't know..........

No prob.

Every time I've joined a gym here the very FIRST question they've asked me is if I have a tattoo. The very sight of a tattoo gives some...no, MANY people a negative impression. Personally, I don't care. It's ink for Pete's sake.

Other than that, the gyms themselves are pretty much the same as in the states...although here I've noticed some machines have a lower maximum lifting capacity. It makes sense since there are very, very few guys that weigh over 220 pounds

You need to convince her that she may not see results right away. It can take a while for your body to figure out what has changed and respond.

A couple of tips for her. She shouldn't do cardio exclusively. Have her do some strength training a couple days a week. Even if its just bodyweight exercises. Muscle takes the most calories to maintain so more muscle means a higher metabolism which means the more muscle you have the more you are burning calories and fat even at rest.

Also tell her not to cut her calories too severely. Especially if she is regularly exercising. This will put her body into starvation mode and it will fight to hold on to its fat stores. The best thing for her to do is figure out what she wants her target weight to be. Then get a calorie calculator which will tell her how much she needs to eat to maintain that target weight accounting for exercise and all that. Have her shoot to maintain that daily caloric total. I have found that if you are exercising 4 days a week, you really dont have to eat less as long as you eat better.

Truth be told I eat more now than I did when I was fat but I generally eat things that are better for me and as such I can eat a ton of it. Also with my workout schedule it can take as much as 3000 calories for me to just maintain my current weight.

• Like 1

It's all in the mind. I've just never got into the whole gym habit/culture and I've always been kind of wirily toned without going near a gym and that is still the case. I mean I'm never gonna win a body building contest but I doubt I would even if I'd lived and breathed weights for decades and had an IV attached 24/7 with the latest juice-head mix hooked in.

It's all in the mind. I've just never got into the whole gym habit/culture and I've always been kind of wirily toned without going near a gym and that is still the case. I mean I'm never gonna win a body building contest but I doubt I would even if I'd lived and breathed weights for decades and had an IV attached 24/7 with the latest juice-head mix hooked in.

I was always thin in my younger years. 150 when I graduated high school. I really always figured it would be that way. At least for me as I've aged, I must work out to stay trim. This is probably true for most people. I have known people ( ladies who have children etc.) that will never be fat. Just genetics I guess. Just like the unfortunate loss of hair from my head................ :codger:

I was always thin in my younger years. 150 when I graduated high school. I really always figured it would be that way. At least for me as I've aged, I must work out to stay trim. This is probably true for most people. I have known people ( ladies who have children etc.) that will never be fat. Just genetics I guess. Just like the unfortunate loss of hair from my head................ :codger:

I have hair to spare!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/images/smilies/Zork-Metal-Smiley.gif

I have hair to spare!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/images/smilies/Zork-Metal-Smiley.gif

Me too. In all the wrong places............. :scared:

You need to convince her that she may not see results right away. It can take a while for your body to figure out what has changed and respond.

A couple of tips for her. She shouldn't do cardio exclusively. Have her do some strength training a couple days a week. Even if its just bodyweight exercises. Muscle takes the most calories to maintain so more muscle means a higher metabolism which means the more muscle you have the more you are burning calories and fat even at rest.

Also tell her not to cut her calories too severely. Especially if she is regularly exercising. This will put her body into starvation mode and it will fight to hold on to its fat stores. The best thing for her to do is figure out what she wants her target weight to be. Then get a calorie calculator which will tell her how much she needs to eat to maintain that target weight accounting for exercise and all that. Have her shoot to maintain that daily caloric total. I have found that if you are exercising 4 days a week, you really dont have to eat less as long as you eat better.

Truth be told I eat more now than I did when I was fat but I generally eat things that are better for me and as such I can eat a ton of it. Also with my workout schedule it can take as much as 3000 calories for me to just maintain my current weight.

Adding... there is a website called myfitnesspal.com which is a great tool for someone just starting off. She will be able to type in what she eats and it keeps track of how many calories consumed and how many remaining for the day and then if she exercises, she can put that into the program and it takes into account calories burned (like, if she takes a 2-mile walk) and adjusts how many calories remaining she then has for the day. It's easy to use. They do all the calculating for you. Edited by Janie
  • Like 1