Alter Bridge's 4th album and other AB-related news

Anguyen92

It seems you don't know much about album sales, at least in the US. Alter Bridge's first album sold 500K. Blackbird sold 250K. ABIII sold 140K. Not a great trend. You can talk about Lady Gaga and One Direction all you like. About 250K people who bought One Day Remains in the US didn't buy Blackbird. Another 110K didn't buy ABIII.

Listen, if you love the band, that's great. I never get fans of "virtually unknown" bands arguing alternatively "People don't get how great they are" and "Yes, they are too really big." I said I think they're work is uninspiring. TO ME. It's an opinion. It's OK if it differs from yours.

Yes, i'm aware that each album has sold less than the one that came before it. But that's a trend for bands everywhere now. Rush used to score gold and platinum albums with every release but their sales have gone down in the last decade because of people downloading or burning albums to CD for others to have. Every band in the rock genre has experienced this over the last several years, not just Alter Bridge. Nice try, but that argument doesn't really hold up for me since declining album sales are happening with just about every rock band today.

Edited by J2112YYZ

It seems you don't know much about album sales, at least in the US. Alter Bridge's first album sold 500K. Blackbird sold 250K. ABIII sold 140K. Not a great trend. You can talk about Lady Gaga and One Direction all you like. About 250K people who bought One Day Remains in the US didn't buy Blackbird. Another 110K didn't buy ABIII.

Listen, if you love the band, that's great. I never get fans of "virtually unknown" bands arguing alternatively "People don't get how great they are" and "Yes, they are too really big." I said I think they're work is uninspiring. TO ME. It's an opinion. It's OK if it differs from yours.

Yes, i'm aware that each album has sold less than the one that came before it. But that's a trend for bands everywhere now. Rush used to score gold and platinum albums with every release but their sales have gone down in the last decade because of people downloading or burning albums to CD for others to have. Every band in the rock genre has experienced this over the last several years, not just Alter Bridge. Nice try, but that argument doesn't really hold up for me since declining album sales are happening with just about every rock band today.

I love the analogy to how Clockwork Angels sold less than Moving Pictures. One Day Remains wasn't released in 1981. It sold 360K more albums than an album they released 6 years later. And, newsflash, people "taped" albums in the 1980s too.

Yeah. It's the industry. Nothing to do with the material.

I'll say it again. I'm not inspired by Alter Bridge. You obviously are. That's OK. Unless you're Myles, you don't have to get offended by it.

I love the analogy to how Clockwork Angels sold less than Moving Pictures. One Day Remains wasn't released in 1981. It sold 360K more albums than an album they released 6 years later. And, newsflash, people "taped" albums in the 1980s too.

I'll say it again. I'm not inspired by Alter Bridge. You obviously are. That's OK. Unless you're Myles, you don't have to get offended by it.

I'm not offended at all. This wasn't about the quality of the music, this was about you saying they were a virtually unknown band which isn't the case. They've had a solid amount of success both here in America and in Europe as well, that's one thing that can't be denied. Yeah, not everyone knows who they are, but fans of modern rock sure know them.

As for the album sales, standards have changed a lot now and when a bands album sells in the 100-200k range, that's considered a success today. Remember how great everyone said it was that the sales for Clockwork Angles were around 100,000 copies in it's first week? That's because selling that many albums is considered a success now. So, yes, by today's standards, Alter Bridge is a fairly well known band.

I'm not offended at all. This wasn't about the quality of the music, this was about you saying they were a virtually unknown band which isn't the case. They've had a solid amount of success both here in America and in Europe as well, that's one thing that can't be denied. Yeah, not everyone knows who they are, but fans of modern rock sure know them.

As for the album sales, standards have changed a lot now and when a bands album sells in the 100-200k range, that's considered a success today. Remember how great everyone said it was that the sales for Clockwork Angles were around 100,000 copies in it's first week? That's because selling that many albums is considered a success now. So, yes, by today's standards, Alter Bridge is a fairly well known band.

Well, no, this is about you responding to my posting that in my OPINION Myles is amazing with Slash and the Alter Bridge stuff is uninspiring TO ME by suggesting that Alter Bridge are international superstars.

All right, this apparently is going nowhere and we're going around in circles. For what it is worth, I prefer Myles with AB better than Slash. His guitar and voice presence in AB works better, here, but him acoustically is always the best, but agree to disagree.

I'll just leave this song as it's prob. my favorite off their latest release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0EyehDWlwQ

Edited by Anguyen92

I never said they were international superstars. I just said they've had international success which is true. My point is that they are more well known then what you give them credit for. You thinking Myles is great with Slash, which I agree with, and Alter Bridge being uninspiring never bothered me and didn't play a factor into anything I said. Edited by J2112YYZ

So...Alter Bridge are awesome.

For what is worth, I can see how somebody who loves Myles work with Slash may not feel the same way about Alter Bridge. They aren't really all that similar.

I prefer AB, mainly because I prefer Tremonti to Slash. Well, each to their own! Apples and oranges!