The Counterparts appreciation thread

calirush

I expected this thread to be created by Mika. This album kicks major amounts of ass and is one of my favourites. It's the album that got me started off on Rush, Nobody's Hero being the main song that caught my attention and spent many days on repeat on my CD player.
  • Like 2

I like the album too. I don't understand all the love/hate division. It's got some great songs on it and I can't think of one I don't like.

The last Rush record that truly sounded great from a production standpoint. Last record that Neil used the Ludwigs on. One of the best drum sounds on a Rush record. The record that Pulled Alex out of his clean, processed guitar sound that he was stuck in. Great addition to the Rush catalog.
  • Like 2

Counterparts was far and away my favorite post-HYF album until CA came along. Still, it's an awesome album - I love the back to basics hard rock sound, the crystal clear production, the first three kick ass songs and the rest of the album that tackles subjects Rush never had so overtly. The first four tracks in particular are completely brilliant, but really it's a very consistent and solid Rush album. Don't understand the hate. I love Counterparts. :yes: :cheers: Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 5

Sonically, Rush albums didn't have the kick or punch that Counterparts had, until Clockwork Angels came along. I'd argue that CA is the best Rush album since Counterparts, both in terms of music and lyrics, and in terms of mixing and sonic boom.

Rush were just so cool back then, too. It's an era that I wish I had been a fan when it was going on, but I was 11 years old, and didn't discover Rush until 1999.

Counterparts was far and away my favorite post-HYF album until CA came along. Still, it's an awesome album - I love the back to basics hard rock sound, the crystal clear production, the first three kick ass songs and the rest of the album that tackles subjects Rush never had so overtly. The first four tracks in particular are completely brilliant, but really it's a very consistent and solid Rush album. Don't understand the hate. I love Counterparts. :yes: :cheers:

I'm so glad we can agree on this! :) (Like, as opposed to disagreeing about Vapor Trails and all that...!:P)

Oh, heck yes, I will share my appreciation of Counterparts! One of the three very first Rush albums I ever listened to, so it will have a biased place in my heart because of this alone, but it has an ever bigger place in my heart than what it otherwise would have because it's just so darn good. That was a pretty crappy sentence, but I think you get my drift! And... my 'enter' key still isn't working ( :rage:), so this is going to represent a paragraph break: ........................... Until I can get this stupid issue figured out. Very annoying. Anyway..........................................Counterparts is a very solid album, IMO, in terms of both production sound and songmanship (songmanship? Sure, it's a word!). It's an aural pleasure, and has some of my favourite songs, like the previously fangirled-about 'Everyday Glory', and 'Double Agent', 'Between Sun and Moon', 'Cut to the Chase', 'Nobody's Hero'..... and all the rest. I think 'Between Sun and Moon' was my very first favourite Rush song, which kind of speaks for my weird taste a little, as it certainly isn't a conventional song, let alone a conventional Rush song! And some of you may have read that I've been singing a lot of 'Everyday Glory' lately. It's just so good to sing, and has such a moving message, and I'm still thoroughly annoyed that Martin Poppoff dismissed it as 'crap' in his book......................................Anyway, I could go on, but this lack of paragraph separation is really annoying me. I'll finish this with some emoticons indicating my feelings for this album: :heart: :moose: :sundog: :haz: :rush: :) :ebert: :yes: :geddy: :wub:
  • Like 4

:LOL:

You're appreciating Counterparts with a song from Roll The Bones? :huh: :LOL:

HA It seemed like a fun idea. The video idea of course was humor and hopefully tempered the onslaught attack of LED for a moment. The thread itself is serious though in that CP kick's butt.

This was the album that was out when I was getting into Rush. I credit Counterparts with making me into the Rush fan I am today. I may be in the minority but it's my favorite Rush album and it holds a special place with me like no other album they've done. Great album from beginning to end with The Speed Of Love the only weak track on it, I still like the song though. Animate, Cut To The Chase, Double Agent and Cold Fire are my favorites. While I like the albums they've done since, this to me was the last great Rush album until Clockwork Angles was released last summer. Too bad nothing is being done from CP on this tour since I think it would sound good in comparison to the material off the new album.

Unfortunately, even though they came to my city on this tour back in 1994, I was unable to attend. Which means I probably missed my only chance of ever seeing Double Agent live but I've since them play many great songs live since 1996 so it's not a huge loss. Still holding out hope that Cut To The Chase makes it into the setlist before the band calls it quits. I'm not sure why they've never done that song? I know sometimes certain songs don't sound right live and can't be done but they need to do whatever they can to get that song played for us.

The biggest reason I love Counterparts is because of Alex's playing. His guitar was up front, heavy and in your face with great riffs. This album has some of Alex's best work, no doubt about it.

• Like 2

Counterparts was far and away my favorite post-HYF album until CA came along. Still, it's an awesome album - I love the back to basics hard rock sound, the crystal clear production, the first three kick ass songs and the rest of the album that tackles subjects Rush never had so overtly. The first four tracks in particular are completely brilliant, but really it's a very consistent and solid Rush album. Don't understand the hate. I love Counterparts. :yes: :cheers:

I'm so glad we can agree on this! :) (Like, as opposed to disagreeing about Vapor Trails and all that...! :P)

i have no problem giving abundant credit where credit is due. if an album is great, i say so. if it sucks... ;)

Counterparts was far and away my favorite post-HYF album until CA came along.

Exactly the same for me.

It's news to me that it's a love/hate album. What's not to love? It's fantastic

It's shite. Honestly, I would struggle to put anything from that record on a best of rush compilation. Sure, the production is ok, but the songs??

Animate-ok, at best.

Stick it out-stick it off.

Cut to the chase, stock rock track.

Nobodys Hero- ok but too much verse/chorus/verse.

Between sun and moon, Plodding stock rock track.

Alien shore- alien shite more like and a terribly contrived song with a totally shoed in vocal melody.

Speed of love?? Such irony- it's that slow it's in reverse gear.

Double agent- again, another stock rock song bereft of imagination

Leave that thing alone-ok but hardly in the same class as la villa and yyz.

Cold Fire, ok quirky short song.

Everyday Glory- bridge reminds me of those awful anthemic songs sung by the likes of pop-bands-masquerading-as-rock-bands like bon jovi.

It's just an opinion folks!!

• Like 2

I'm so glad we can agree on this! :) (Like, as opposed to disagreeing about Vapor Trails and all that...! :P)

i have no problem giving abundant credit where credit is due. if an album is great, i say so. if it sucks... ;)

If it sucks...You say so AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN etc etc ad nauseum! ;) :LOL:

• Like 1

Still holding out hope that Cut To The Chase makes it into the setlist before the band calls it quits. I'm not sure why they've never done that song?

I remember reading an interview with Alex where he mentioned that he wanted to play Cut to the Chase when they were touring for Counterparts and Geddy wanted to play Alien Shore. Unfortunately, neither song made it because they figured they should leave a lot of room for the classics and play only so many new cuts.