Has The Ultra-Heavy Version Of Rush Run Its Course?

presto123

The assumption here is they're going to make another album, which is debatable at best.

I loved Counterparts when it came out - it was a huge comeback for me after the mediocre Presto and the generally disappointing RTB. Even though I loved the album, and still do, I was still missing the keyboard era. The album was so good, however, and the production was so awesome, that I didn't care that much.

Then came their two worst albums, and I was REALLY missing the keyboard era and a time when everything wasn't so relentlessly heavy. It took me a long time to realize, however, that it wasn't necessarily the keyboards I missed, but just great songs. Case in point, S&A & CA were also pretty damn heavy (with some exceptions), but I was very happy with them because for me the songs and songwriting were back.

Would I love them to get back to a cleaner sound and better production? Yes. Would I love to them to get back into synths? Definitely. Would I love them to get more overtly back into progressive rock? Absolutely. Will any of that happen? I doubt it. If they make albums as good as S&A and CA though, I'll be more than happy... that is if they ever make an album again.

I'd be willing to bet Rush albums are a thing of the past... MAYBE the odd new tune moving forward, but my uneducated guess is that CA was the last full album....I hope I'm WRONG...but....

Anyway...Ultra Heavy? Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, heavy? I think it's heavier than some of their late 80's/early 90's output, but not like Metallica heavy?!?!

SO...what don't some of you like about Nick? I think he's brought some new essence in, and got them making some decent records! Just curious?

That said... I'd love to see them hook up with Broon for one last hurrah!

I'd love to see them hook up with Broon for one last hurrah!

The deepest wish of all Rush fans... but I wouldn't hold my breath!

I'm a scuba diver...that's the first rule..I never hold my breath! :P

Wrong dude...I'd say thier deepest wish would be for you to stop trolling Vapor Trails
  • Like 2

I think in a word: yes. 'Bout time the sythns were brought back imo - technology has moved so much since the 80s so imagine what they could do with it now! I really think Neil could go so much further with V-drum technology when it comes to studio work. I thought his electronic solo this tour was so great and him and the band could really capitalise on that kind of stuff. I mean they've been playing 5 songs from Power Windows this tour, so it seems likely it might at least have an influence on what they choose to do next!

Unless your Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, no one comes to see the keyboard player. Synths should just be appetizer, not the whole meal. I hated Alex's 'clean' sound on Hold Your Nose and Pesto. Sterile and neutered.

Neil said they are lucky to breakeven on album sales and concerts are the money makers. That's opposite of how it used to be. So I wouldn't be surprised it they just release few new songs (4 or 5)...similar in sound to CA, do the R40,41,42, whatever tour and call it a day. It's getting late in the day to make another major shift in direction. There's certainly nothing interesting in current music that would influence them...unless you want them to play house music.

I can handle whatever incantation Rush decides to go with as long as it's inspired, energetic, and vibrant. The only albums that disappoint in meeting this for me is Test For Echo, Roll the Bones, and Presto. TFE is by far the worst of them. At least RTB and Presto have some value. Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

I can handle whatever incantation Rush decides to go with as long at's it's inspired, energetic, and vibrant. The only albums that disappoint in meeting this for me is Test For Echo, Roll the Bones, and Presto.

Add VT to the mix and I agree with you completely.

When it all comes down to it, I just want a great album - heavy, lite or somewhere in the middle I don't care - I just want it to be great. A few of their albums haven't been. Most of them have.

Don't be hating on Presto. It has some gems on there. The half that is good is really good. Similar to Snakes and Arrows in that respect. Snakes has some strong tracks but some really weak ones as well IMO. I know Goob's thoughts on the subject but I totally disagree. VT blows SnA away:) Edited by presto123
  • Like 2

Interesting reading through some of these topics and seeing who likes what albums (and how much of those albums they DO like and hate) It would take forever, but I think seeing a thread on each album with a discussion on "what songs you like vs. what songs you DON'T like, explain" might be fun! (and something to do during the next hiatus until the R40-Something tour)

I would love them to get back to the 1974-1981 sounding guitars...either the heavier early period, the adventurous progressive period, or the cleaner classic period. But the reason I love that era is mostly because he songs are just better. The 1982-1989 era Rush was just a little more bland than the early stuff. The saturation of synths drowning out a simplified and thin guitar sound didn't help, but I feel like they ran out of new song structures, so they just expirimented with keyboards. But even though 1991-2012 Rush has gotten harder, their music has only gotten a little better, and it's much more uneven, and even divisive among fans) in terms of quality. Counterparts is better sounding than the albums before it, but it has only a couple of really good songs and a bunch of fill. Ditto with S&A which has only 4 good songs but much improved sound. While I'd rather the band get back to 1974-1981 Rush, I'm happy with whatever musical expirement they try next. I just hope they have the spark to bring the songs and not just the sounds.
  • Like 1

The 1982-1989 era Rush was just a little more bland than the early stuff... I feel like they ran out of new song structures, so they just expirimented with keyboards.

:no:

Counterparts is better sounding than the albums before it, but it has only a couple of really good songs and a bunch of fill.

:no: :facepalm:

Ditto with S&A which has only 4 good songs.

Three strikes - you're out! :yes:

I liked the "heavy" tone of CA. I really never thought of Rush as heavy, compared to a Metallica, etc.

The funny thing that struck me was when I watched the Doc, the record exec made the comment about Syrinx being one of the heaviest songs he had ever heard. I just never thought of them as heavy. They were just Rush to me, but damn that is a HEAVY song.

Interesting reading through some of these topics and seeing who likes what albums (and how much of those albums they DO like and hate) It would take forever, but I think seeing a thread on each album with a discussion on "what songs you like vs. what songs you DON'T like, explain" might be fun! (and something to do during the next hiatus until the R40-Something tour)

It sounds like it would spark some great conversation and debate. My only thing is I can't stand going back to songs I hate to listen to them and dissect why I hate them any more than what I already remember about why I don't like or hate them. I don't find it any fun to go back and listen to music I don't like. That's why I could never do a full on list of every Rush song in order. I did a list for my top 75, and I could probably do a top 125 if I really wanted to, but the last 30-40 songs would just be in a pile in alpha order because I wouldn't want to go back and listen to see which song was worse than another song. Too unpleasant.

Unless your Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, no one comes to see the keyboard player. Synths should just be appetizer, not the whole meal. I hated Alex's 'clean' sound on Hold Your Nose and Pesto. Sterile and neutered.

Neil said they are lucky to breakeven on album sales and concerts are the money makers. That's opposite of how it used to be. So I wouldn't be surprised it they just release few new songs (4 or 5)...similar in sound to CA, do the R40,41,42, whatever tour and call it a day. It's getting late in the day to make another major shift in direction. There's certainly nothing interesting in current music that would influence them...unless you want them to play house music.

Hmmm. Perhaps they'll enter their Rush'n House Mafia phase....

I would love them to get back to the 1974-1981 sounding guitars...either the heavier early period, the adventurous progressive period, or the cleaner classic period. But the reason I love that era is mostly because he songs are just better. The 1982-1989 era Rush was just a little more bland than the early stuff. The saturation of synths drowning out a simplified and thin guitar sound didn't help, but I feel like they ran out of new song structures, so they just expirimented with keyboards. But even though 1991-2012 Rush has gotten harder, their music has only gotten a little better, and it's much more uneven, and even divisive among fans) in terms of quality. Counterparts is better sounding than the albums before it, but it has only a couple of really good songs and a bunch of fill. Ditto with S&A which has only 4 good songs but much improved sound. While I'd rather the band get back to 1974-1981 Rush, I'm happy with whatever musical expirement they try next. I just hope they have the spark to bring the songs and not just the sounds.

Yes on everything (though I have a better opinion of S&A), especially the bold, which sums things up perfectly.

Edited by Rutlefan

I think the reason I can handle the synth era is because of being a teen in the eighties. Because of my brother I heard a lot of 60's 70's stuff growing up. MTV exploded with new wave right as I became a teen so I got into it listening to The Fixx, The Police, Duran Duran, Bowie. Men at Work, etc. In my later teens I became a Metal Head listening to Slayer, Venom, Exodus, Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeth. With a diverse listening background it didn't bother me too much that Rush went to the heavy synth. While maybe not their strongest period they have a lot of stuff I like and the mix is great for hours of listening, feeling like I'll never tire of listening to Rush on a road trip.

• Like 1

I liked the "heavy" tone of CA. I really never thought of Rush as heavy, compared to a Metallica, etc.

The funny thing that struck me was when I watched the Doc, the record exec made the comment about Syrinx being one of the heaviest songs he had ever heard. I just never thought of them as heavy. They were just Rush to me, but damn that is a HEAVY song.

In 1976, I suspect not much in the mainstream was heavier than 2112. And Rush may not be heavy by today's standards, but CA and VP are heavier than any of their early stuff to my my ears.

• Like 1