Best comeback albums

bathory

if anything kate's REAL comeback album is aerial, after 12 years without putting out a record she comes out with a double album that's one of the best things she's ever done

Ok , I hold my hand up with Hounds Of Love :facepalm:

I do like The Dreaming very much , but as in terms of sales and critical praise , The Dreaming got neither .

Tango In the Night as above . :) .

How about McCartney with Flowers In The Dirt . :unsure:

Edited by By Tor

I do like The Dreaming very much , but as in terms of sales and critical praise , The Dreaming got neither .

you're right, the dreaming was far too weird and smart for "the masses" I guess. it's f***ing brilliant IMO, but I guess hounds is what put her in the limelight again. that being said, outside of europe, no one seems to give a f**k about that album or kate bush in general

• Like 1

you're right, the dreaming was far too weird and smart for "the masses" I guess. it's f***ing brilliant IMO, but I guess hounds is what put her in the limelight again. that being said, outside of europe, no one seems to give a f**k about that album or kate bush in general

The Dreaming takes a few listens...then its genius shines through. Kate has never had a "comeback" album. Same as FM, Tango?...Mirage, Tusk are both brilliant albums. For the sake of consistency on here, lets keep this subjective, who cares about the masses :huh:

ReRush beat me to Graceland and XTC's Apple Venus, but here's a couple:

Wire - Send (after a second career hiatus, returned to the direct approach of their early, classic material)

The Wedding Present -- Take Fountain (after running out of gas in the '90s and releasing three great lps as Cinerama, they went back to calling themselves TWP and released a modern classic).

Surprised no one's mentioned Heart's self-titled 1985 #1. Not a huge fan of that '80s radio-friendly power pop myself, but you have to give them credit; supposedly they were having trouble finding a label and they respond by putting out a #1 album chock full o' hits. 2010's Red Velvet Car was yet another great comeback and more my style (love "Hey You").

Send is a kick in the balls. It's ferocious. It's a musical razor slicing through younger competition's efforts. It's among Wire's best releases, but the comeback really began with the Read & Burn EPs. In fairness, Send just padded those earlier efforts.

I grant the point re the EPs but have kind of considered it all the same effort, like I considered the MBV EPs released with Loveless (the one with Don't Ask Why is actually my favorite MBV release) part of the same.

I'll be seeing Wire at the Black Cat in DC in a couple weeks (Sunday the 14th I think). It will actually be my first time seeing them, even though they (and the offshoots; esp Colin Newmans Singing Fish and Bruce Gilbert's AC Marius) were my favorite music of the mid/late '80s. The first opportunity I had to see them was the tour supporting Send. On that they were playing at the 9:30 club. In one of the strangest, gut-wrenching coincidences imaginable (for me), it was the same night that The Wedding Present was playing at Black Cat. Two extremely rare events, same night. That's like Haley's Comet passing by the same night the Cubs win the World Series. My concert buddy was/is a big WP fan (as am I), whereas he's not much into Wire, so we went to WP even though I'd seen them a couple times before and was dying to see Wire. At least I'll get to see them finally, though Gilbert isn't with them anymore, unfortunately.

Not that it matters, but I thought about dates and realized that it was the Object 47 tour date that conflicted with The Wedding Present show (Oct 11, 2008). When they came around supporting Red Barked Tree I couldn't make it for some reason. So finally I get to see them. Actually good timing as the new album is their best since 154.

AC/DC—Back In Black. Released within a year after their all-important singer dies and its one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

Van Halen—5150. DLR is irreplacable. There is no following that guy. But VH morphed into a surgically tight, radio dominating, hit machine, but still had the VH heartbeat. 5150 had a lot of emotion and urgency, all their following Hagar albums were too commercial on the whole.

Van Halen—A Different Kind Of Truth. Well surpassed my expectations. DLR came through and Ed played even better than I expected. Great f***ing album, even if there is no definitive single.

Exodus—Tempo Of The Damned. After a band break up, the original singer dying during their reunion, over a decade since being in the studio, and 4 out of 5 members getting off meth to make this album, and they release a instant thrash classic. I considered it to be the best metal album to have been released in the past decade at the time, and still do. Its there best album period. Hail Zetro.

Iron Maiden—Brave New World. After 2 subpar albums without Adrian, and 2 dreadful albums without Bruce, Maiden comes back and reminds us who the greatest metal band of all time is. Up The Irons.

Ozzy—Blizzard Of Ozz. Just how f*cked up do you have to be to be fired from Black Sabbath in the 70's? Ozzy accomplished this and coming back with two of the greatest metal albums of all time, BOZ being just a bit better than DOAMM, IMO.

This.