dream theater new dvd out because of legal issues??

rugen

Notice the silence from everyone on DT camp about the release date, i just read that maybe Mike Portnoy is trying to put this on hold...

When a band-mate or mates break up, the legal wranglings can last for decades! So very sad that DT has come to this! We've lost our 2nd favorite band! Damn-it Portnoy! (The poor guy just had a mid-life thing and the lawyers thrashed the band apart!)

Hare :D

When a band-mate or mates break up, the legal wranglings can last for decades! So very sad that DT has come to this! We've lost our 2nd favorite band! Damn-it Portnoy! (The poor guy just had a mid-life thing and the lawyers thrashed the band apart!)

Hare :D

What do you mean by saying we've lost them? :unsure:

I´d be surprised if Portnoy was still creating legal problems to DT. He seems to have moved on, and hasn´t talked about his breakup with the band for more than a year now.

Any actual evidence beyond conjecture to support this at all? I'm awaiting the Live at Luna Park Blu-Ray as well, but why point at Portnoy for no reason other than "just cause" on why we have not heard anything on the release since it's announcement?
  • Like 1

They have actually started to record the new album. I think/hope that Portnoy will come back eventually. DT may have a better drummer, but they lost a huge part of their appeal with this breakup. I went to see them this last tour, and while Mangini is insane on the drums, it's still strange for me to see DT without Portnoy. Somehow it just doesn't fit.

They have actually started to record the new album. I think/hope that Portnoy will come back eventually. DT may have a better drummer, but they lost a huge part of their appeal with this breakup. I went to see them this last tour, and while Mangini is insane on the drums, it's still strange for me to see DT without Portnoy. Somehow it just doesn't fit.

I became a DT fan in 2010, several months before Portnoy left. Maybe it's because I wasn't used to his interactions with the fans, the custom setlists, etc but I don't miss him at all. I never saw them with MP but I loved the show I saw with Mangini. As a relatively new fan, I'm fine with him never coming back. I do think my opinion would be different had I been a longtime fan, but I'm very happy with the current lineup.

Any actual evidence beyond conjecture to support this at all? I'm awaiting the Live at Luna Park Blu-Ray as well, but why point at Portnoy for no reason other than "just cause" on why we have not heard anything on the release since it's announcement?

No i don't have any actual evidence, that's why i said maybe... I found that a little bit mysterious, how no news on a new schedule date about a release that was at first set for May. Maybe they have technical issues with it, but their also a chance that for legal issues, all people involved with the production of it can't speak. I think the best thing they could have said was not giving a release date, so our hope wouldn't get high.

Notice the silence from everyone on DT camp about the release date, i just read that maybe Mike Portnoy is trying to put this on hold...

That is absolute bull shit. Anything related to Mike Portnoy and legal issues would have been ironed out legally by lawyers from both sides when the split happened in 2010.

They heard me, Finally there is something from the band, November 5! May have the new Rush before that...

http://www.dreamthea...d-press-release

November 5th? Ahhhh that sucks!!

A theory, but what if the delay was not due to legal issues but to James' vocals? There's not one peep out of his live performance at all on the trailer. Would it be somehow possible to take his vocals out and have him do them again in a studio after the fact or is this all just horse shit?

P.S: I love DT and even James' voice a lot but aside from SCORE he hasn't really sounded all that great live for awhile now :(

Edited by Del_Duio

They heard me, Finally there is something from the band, November 5! May have the new Rush before that...

A theory, but what if the delay was not due to legal issues but to James' vocals? There's not one peep out of his live performance at all on the trailer. Would it be somehow possible to take his vocals out and have him do them again in a studio after the fact or is this all just horse shit?

P.S: I love DT and even James' voice a lot but aside from SCORE he hasn't really sounded all that great live for awhile now :(

I thought he sounded great when I saw them on the last tour. In fact, I didn't read too many grumbling's about his vocals being off on the last tour as I did on tours before. No doubt playing the same set or close to the same set every night helped his live voice a lot. He knew what he was gonna sing each night and it probably made it much easier for him to keep his voice in proper shape as opposed to when Portnoy did the setlists and James didn't know from night to night what he would be singing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some studio "touching up" here and there though. I don't know if Dream Theater has done it with any of their live releases but there are bands who've done that with live albums before.

I think I might've posted this once before in the DT thread, but as far as I know this is the only video that has a snippet of James' live performance (this one's from 6:00) from the Luna Park DVD. Not too many people have seen this cause the video's unlisted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ExrdvNg2k&feature=player_embedded

I thought he sounded great when I saw them on the last tour. In fact, I didn't read too many grumbling's about his vocals being off on the last tour as I did on tours before. No doubt playing the same set or close to the same set every night helped his live voice a lot. He knew what he was gonna sing each night and it probably made it much easier for him to keep his voice in proper shape as opposed to when Portnoy did the setlists and James didn't know from night to night what he would be singing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some studio "touching up" here and there though. I don't know if Dream Theater has done it with any of their live releases but there are bands who've done that with live albums before.

sometimes studio touch-ups make for a great record....unleashed in the east!