Your stance on Credit Cards

Lost In Xanadu

I paid off two with large balances recently. It took me far longer than I wanted, and I will never have another.

Don't like them but you have to have at least 1 to do some basic things these days. I got rid of most of mine when I had ID theft issues. It was almost impossible to get that fixed without shutting everything down and hitting the reset button

Having good credit is very important in today's modern world. Try getting a mortgage without it! I got my card when I was 18, been using it sparingly whenever I want to purchase online or for something over a few hundred bucks. Don't rack up the balance over about half your limit, make responsible transactions and pay them off on time and after a while your score will be gold. I actually carry my card on me at all times, along with my debit card, and never had any problems.

All it takes is a little of THIS

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Discipline%2C_King_Crimson.jpg

• Like 2

I have a few. I pay the balance paid in full, every month. I have had some ... errr ... issues ... with handling my credit cards in the past. I had to learn the discipline required and it was painful at times. Kudos to those who learn the lesson early.

Discipline is the key. :yes:

• Like 1

I have a Visa and a Master Card that I pay off every month that I have any balance. That's the way I've done it forever. I also have a Home Depot card I use when I buy things for the house. I pay that off in full every month as well. I can go months without using any of my credit cards though. I'm a fanatic about minimizing debt. For the most part, if I can't pay for it in cash, I ordinarily don't buy it, the exception being a car or a house.

You don't need a good credit score unless you intend to borrow lots of money. Save up and pay cash. I'm not a saint, but if I have to borrow money, I do it from my local bank, and quickly pay it back. Keeping an emergency fund keeps things from being a disaster. The borrower is slave to the lender and I don't want to be a slave. Everyone paying with credit drives inflation because no one cares about the price or the sales tax. Paying cash hurts and you will try to minimize the sting by thinking and researching and deliberating before purchasing. I've never had a credit card. Credit cards are why my parents are still paying for a $38,000 house 35 years after they took the mortgage.

Credit cards are stupid and for mentally lazy and immature people -kids.

I have a bad habit of spending more than I can afford and my card is maxed out. I plan to have it payed off in the very near future if I can get my spending habit under control. Edited by billybobjoe1881

I got my first credit card in college as well. Paid it off in full every month and thus never paid any interest.. Started the path to a good credit rating.

Fast forward several years and got married. Wife decided that she could by whatever the hell she wanted whether we could afford it or not. Built up quite a bit of debt and was certainly paying the high interest rates. (She didn't work either so she had plenty of time to shop and buy things we didnt need). Anyways, we split up and I was able to pay the balances down to zero. Have had a zero balance again for several years now.

I travel for work every now and again. I use my cards for hotel points and airline points. Have been able to take several free (hotel and flights at least) vacations over the past few years just based on these points.

Got 1, paid monthly. Only put on it what you can pay. Been in that hell hole and am not going back. As a country we owe more than can ever be paid back, EVER!! 1 trillion in student loans! No one looks down the road any more, "give me stuff now" is the norm. Smart people on here I see. Good for you!
  • Like 1

Got 1, paid monthly. Only put on it what you can pay. Been in that hell hole and am not going back. As a country we owe more than can ever be paid back, EVER!! 1 trillion in student loans! No one looks down the road any more, "give me stuff now" is the norm. Smart people on here I see. Good for you!

It doesn't help that interest rates are criminal. I remember looking at a bill where I had only used it to buy concert tickets (so it was around $200) and it said in big bold letters: "MAKE THE MINIMUM PAYMENT AND HAVE THIS BILL PAID OFF IN JUST 4 YEARS, 6 MONTHS!". I won't get on the topic of student loans and how a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.

• Like 1

It doesn't help that interest rates are criminal. I remember looking at a bill where I had only used it to buy concert tickets (so it was around $200) and it said in big bold letters: "MAKE THE MINIMUM PAYMENT AND HAVE THIS BILL PAID OFF IN JUST 4 YEARS, 6 MONTHS!". I won't get on the topic of student loans and how a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.

This. I get credit card offers all the time. I just looked at one, the other day, when y'all started this topic, and the rate was 25.5%. That's absolutely insane. Who, in their right mind, would sign up for that? The bank has a lot better options, IF you have to borrow money.

I still say have an emergency fund to keep Murphy at bay.

This. I get credit card offers all the time. I just looked at one, the other day, when y'all started this topic, and the rate was 25.5%. That's absolutely insane. Who, in their right mind, would sign up for that? The bank has a lot better options, IF you have to borrow money.

I still say have an emergency fund to keep Murphy at bay.

Oh absolutely. I put 25% of every check in a savings account in case of emergencies. I've never had to touch it yet.

Edited by USB Connector