YOUR 20 most favourite rock/metal albums

Steevo

Wow, reading through the posts I'm impressed by the musical sensibilities of Rush fans. I'll play too. Per the stated/implied rules, no solo artists (so no L. Cohen, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens) and I'll stick to rock (no folk/experimental/"projects" -- e.g., This Mortal Coil). I'll also stick to one album per group, to help spread the love.

1. Radiohead -- OK Computer
  2. Rush -- Hemispheres
  3. Led Zeppelin -- Physical Graffiti
  4. Wire -- 154
  5. The Kinks -- The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (not to be confused with the tragically regrettable Preservation Acts 1 & 2)
  6. Big Star -- Big Star's Third (also known as Alex Chilton's Sister Lovers; this is borderline breaking the rules, but album is far too epic to ignore)
  7. Teenage Fanclub -- Songs from Northern Britain (close second: Bandwagonesque)
  8. The Pixies -- Trompe Le Monde
  9. My Bloody Valentine -- Loveless
  10. Nirvana -- Nevermind
  11. The Wedding Present -- Take Fountain (close second: Seamonsters)
  12. The Beatles -- Revolver
  13. XTC -- Apple Venus I & II
  14. Tones on Tail -- The Album Pop
  15. The Smiths -- Louder than Bombs
  16. Jane's Addiction -- Ritual de lo Habitual
  17. The Clash -- Sandinista
  18. New Order -- Movement
  19. The The -- Mind Bomb (close second: Soul Mining)
  20. Psychedelic Furs -- Psychedelic Furs

There were a few groups -- The Church, Pink Floyd, The Police, Queen, Cocteau Twins, U2, REM, early Aerosmith, The Jazz Butcher/Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, Fleetwood Mac, and so on -- who could have had any of three of four albums in the list, but there wasn't one that stuck out above the rest for me (e.g., if you could marry Dark Side of the Moon to Wish You Were Here, you would have an unstoppable monster of a list topper, IMHO), or there just wasn't room. Also stuck to studio material, so no Wings Over America (this and Around the World with Three Dog Night were my favorite live albums when I was a kid; supplanted by The Song Remains the Same, and of course ATWAS, when hormones stirred my reptilian brain).

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic

Alice In Chains - Facelift

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker

Boston - Boston

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Dream Theater - Images and Words

Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast

Billy Joel - Songs In The Attic (favorite live album)

KISS - Dressed To Kill (first piece of music (VINYL!) ever owned)

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Living Colour - Vivid

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Metallica - Master Of Puppets

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Rush - Permanent Waves

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Van Halen - 5150

Wow, reading through the posts I'm impressed by the musical sensibilities of Rush fans. I'll play too. Per the istated/implied rules, no solo solo artists (so no L. Cohen, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens) and I'll stick to rock (no folk/experimental/"projects" -- e.g., This Mortal Coil). I'll also stick to one album per group, to help spread the love.

2. Rush -- Hemispheres
  3. Led Zeppelin -- Physical Graffitti
  4. Wire -- 154
  5. The Kinks -- The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (not to be confused with the tragically regrettable Preservation Acts 1 & 2)
  6. Big Star -- Big Star's Third (also known as Alex Chilton's Sister Lovers; this is borderline breaking the rules, but album is far too epic to ignore)
  7. Teenage Fanclub -- Songs from Northern Britain (close second: Bandwagonesque)
  10. Nirvana -- Nevermind
  17. The Clash -- Sandanista
  19. Fleetwood Mac -- Tusk
  20. The The -- Mind Bomb (close second: Soul Mining)

There were a few groups -- The Church, Pink Floyd, The Police, Queen, Cocteau Twins, U2, REM, early Aerosmith, The Jazz Butcher/Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, and so on -- who could have had three of four albums in the list, but there wasn't one that stuck out above the rest for me (e.g., if you could marry Dark Side of the Moon to Wish You Were Here, you would have an unstoppable monster of a list topper, IMHO). Also stuck to studio material, so no Wings Over America (this and Around the World with Three Dog Night were my favorite live albums when I was a kid; supplanted by The Song Remains the Same when hormones stirred my reptilian brain).

You might be my musical taste doppelgänger.

^ Always welcome those kind of dopplegangers, for sure. Since you posted, I added P-Furs 1st album, and there's another group/album that I intended to include but now can't recall.

I like your beer quotes; Ben Franklin and H. Simpson, I believe. If you're ever in Baltimore, there's a great bar (taphouse) named Maxs in Fells Point. Great place, unbelievable selection of taps, and they have the B. Franklin quote emblazoned on one of the beams that supports the ceiling. Makes you feel good about the reason you're in there.

^ Always welcome those kind of dopplegangers, for sure. Since you posted, I added P-Furs 1st album, and there's another group/album that I intended to include but now can't recall.

I like your beer quotes; Ben Franklin and H. Simpson, I believe. If you're ever in Baltimore, there's a great bar (taphouse) named Maxs in Fells Point. Great place, unbelievable selection of taps, and they have the B. Franklin quote emblazoned on one of the beams that supports the ceiling. Makes you feel good about the reason you're in there.

I remember now. I'd intended to put Echo and the Bunnymen's Porcupine in there among the second half of the list, but I'll just leave things be at this point. Also loved early The Cure, but there not one album that sticks out for me. From their first through Head on the Door they've all got something going for them. Same can be said for Joy Division (though Movement is quasi Joy Division). The Fall, Swell Maps, Gang of Four, The Mekons ... the early '80's produced some great post-punk bands, though not necessarily classic/favorite albums.

Wow, reading through the posts I'm impressed by the musical sensibilities of Rush fans. I'll play too. Per the istated/implied rules, no solo solo artists (so no L. Cohen, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens) and I'll stick to rock (no folk/experimental/"projects" -- e.g., This Mortal Coil). I'll also stick to one album per group, to help spread the love.

2. Rush -- Hemispheres
  3. Led Zeppelin -- Physical Graffitti
  4. Wire -- 154
  10. Nirvana -- Nevermind
  17. The Clash -- Sandanista
  19. Fleetwood Mac -- Tusk
  20. The The -- Mind Bomb (close second: Soul Mining)

There were a few groups -- The Church, Pink Floyd, The Police, Queen, Cocteau Twins, U2, REM, early Aerosmith, The Jazz Butcher/Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, and so on -- who could have had three of four albums in the list, but there wasn't one that stuck out above the rest for me (e.g., if you could marry Dark Side of the Moon to Wish You Were Here, you would have an unstoppable monster of a list topper, IMHO). Also stuck to studio material, so no Wings Over America (this and Around the World with Three Dog Night were my favorite live albums when I was a kid; supplanted by The Song Remains the Same when hormones stirred my reptilian brain).

You might be my musical taste doppelgänger.

I wish I could find more musical taste dopplegangers, but they tend to be few and far between.

That said, I highly admire your Kinks selection - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society is one of my favorites and a not often enough heralded classic. :yes:

That said, I highly admire your Kinks selection - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society is one of my favorites and a not often enough heralded classic.

Back at ya :hail:. Years ago, when my now college-age nephews were about 7 and 8 years old, I was in a phase where I was listening to Something Else by the Kinks and The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society nearly non-stop. Whenever I was chauffering them around they would want to sing along to "Picture Book" because of the "Scooby-Dooby-Doo" line (and it's a very catchy tune). When "Picture Book" was used in that HP ad a few years ago, they astounded their JH/HS peers when they not only knew the band, but the song's lyrics.

Edited by Rutlefan