1993-2002 Clockwork Angels Tour Alternate Setlist (yeah another setlist thread)

nhlrush

I love Power Windows as well as Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Presto and even Roll the Bones...

But we all know that besides the new material and a few staples, the rest of the setlist comes from these albums....

So i thought about a setlist that replaced all the songs from the 82-91 era with songs from the 93-02 era instead...

see what you think...

Video Intro (Gearing Up)

Vapor Trail Subdivisions

Cut to the Chase The Big Money

Test for Echo Force 10

Cold Fire Grand Designs

Sweet Miracle The Body Electric/Middletown Dreams/Limelight

Virtuality Territories

Double Agent Analog Kid

Ghost Rider Bravado/The Pass

Leave That Thing Alone Where's My Thing (with drum solo)

One Little Victory Far Cry

Intermission (Clockwork Angels String Ensemble enters)

Set 2:

Video Intro (The Appointment)

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight (with drum solo)

Halo Effect (with guitar solo intro)

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Garden

Everyday Glory Manhattan Project/Dreamline

The Percussor (drum solo)

Driven Red Sector A

YYZ

(Clockwork Angels String Ensemble exits)

The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer

2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale

Video Outro (Office Of The Watchmaker)

I would personally take my new set one over the current tour just because some of these songs have never been played and some haven't been played since that album's tour...I also had the benefit of seeing rush live in the 80's so I got to hear all the songs in the current first set back when those songs were released...

Edited by nhlrush
  • Like 1

Vapor Trail is probably my favorite song off Vapor Trails, but it would be a HORRIBLE opener.

It's a mid-tempo song that isn't known by any casual fans.

You gotta open with a blast. You could go back to the well and hit TSoR again but in all honesty, Subdivisions is a staple and works quite well as an opener.

Drop Double Agent and put Vapor Trail in that slot :)

• Like 1

Vapor Trail is probably my favorite song off Vapor Trails, but it would be a HORRIBLE opener.

It's a mid-tempo song that isn't known by any casual fans.

You gotta open with a blast. You could go back to the well and hit TSoR again but in all honesty, Subdivisions is a staple and works quite well as an opener.

Drop Double Agent and put Vapor Trail in that slot :)

you're a madman.....mad i say, mad...

(shouldn't you have been watching the wings win over those turds from chicago instead of on this board)

'Everyday Glory'!!!

Man, if this song was played, I would just outright wet myself, and I wouldn't even care. (Except for after the show, when I'd be walking back to my hotel or whatever, and start to feel a little self-conscious...)

I would actually like this setlist - I love the 'modern' era music. Though I would HAVE to have 'How It Is' and 'Secret Touch'.

And it's funny how tastes differ so much between different Rush fans, eh? I say "love this!" and many others would say "hate this!" :D

• Like 1

Hm, now that you mention it, Driven could be really cool with strings.

I'd go with...

Subdivisions -> Earthshine

The Big Money -> Alien Shore

Force Ten -> The Color of Right

Grand Designs -> Cold Fire

The Body Electric -> Vapor Trail

Territories -> Carve Away the Stone

The Analog Kid -> Ceiling Unlimited

Bravado -> Ghost Rider

Where's My Thing? -> Leave That Thing Alone

Far Cry -> Secret Touch

Manhattan Project -> Animate

Red Sector A -> Driven

I like this more than the current setlist, even if it means I'd have to suffer through some of Counterparts' songs. I'd rather see Ceiling Unlimited, How it is, and some others off of VP rather than the ones we've already heard, but I'd still like it more than hearing a lot of these 80s songs again. I love the Color of Right, and agree that you'd need to start off with a bigger song from the classic era. Limelight or Subdivisions or maybe even Tom Sawyer. I would always keep TSOR towards the end.

I like this more than the current setlist, even if it means I'd have to suffer through some of Counterparts' songs. I'd rather see Ceiling Unlimited, How it is, and some others off of VP rather than the ones we've already heard, but I'd still like it more than hearing a lot of these 80s songs again. I love the Color of Right, and agree that you'd need to start off with a bigger song from the classic era. Limelight or Subdivisions or maybe even Tom Sawyer. I would always keep TSOR towards the end.

Everyone knows Counterparts is their best album start to finish....right?

Come to think of it, start every rush show with TS just to get it out of the way...

'Everyday Glory'!!!

Man, if this song was played, I would just outright wet myself, and I wouldn't even care. (Except for after the show, when I'd be walking back to my hotel or whatever, and start to feel a little self-conscious...)

I would actually like this setlist - I love the 'modern' era music. Though I would HAVE to have 'How It Is' and 'Secret Touch'.

And it's funny how tastes differ so much between different Rush fans, eh? I say "love this!" and many others would say "hate this!" :D

you have great taste.....everyday glory for me is one of the most underrated Rush songs of all time......incredible alex textures and solo, gripping lyrics, soaring ged voals....

make you a deal.....if they ever play it (and you know that's never gonna happen so i can write this with no worries) you can piss your pants, i will shit my pants, and we can send them the dry cleaning bill with a note of explanation..

• Like 1

Ok, got rid of the '82-'91 tunes for the '93-'02 ones. Picked some that haven't been played that I think would be interesting. Towards the end I think Geddy's mini solo in Driven would go well BEFORE Neil's drum solo. Also, I think Earthshine would be a good one to energize the crowd after being so concentrated on Neil's solo.

Video Intro (Gearing Up)

Subdivisions----->Animate

The Big Money--->Cut to the Chase

Force 10---->Peaceable Kingdom

Grand Designs--->Test for Echo

The Body Electric/Middletown Dreams/Limelight----->Vapor Trail

Territories---->Alien Shore

Analog Kid---->Between Sun & Moon

Bravado/The Pass---->Ghost Rider

Where's My Thing (with drum solo)---->Limbo

Far Cry

Set 2:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Garden

Manhattan Project/Dreamline-->Driven

Red Sector A---->Earthshine

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer

Come to think of it, start every rush show with TS just to get it out of the way...

By best, you mean the worst one and the one that reversed the positive reception of the band by fans as measured through sales, right?

Ok, got rid of the '82-'91 tunes for the '93-'02 ones. Picked some that haven't been played that I think would be interesting. Towards the end I think Geddy's mini solo in Driven would go well BEFORE Neil's drum solo. Also, I think Earthshine would be a good one to energize the crowd after being so concentrated on Neil's solo.

Video Intro (Gearing Up)

Far Cry

Set 2:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Garden

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer

Earthshine doesn't energize many of the hardcore...and it definitely won't energize the casuals. And all those counterparts songs means I would get plenty of pee breaks. Though, even though I don't like many of those songs, I agree there is a lot of value in seeing a son that is rarely played. I'd still thoroughly enjoy this concert.

By best, you mean the worst one and the one that reversed the positive reception of the band by fans as measured through sales, right?

i am actually serious and probably in the minority, but Counterparts may be my favorite Rush album....

Cold Fire, Double Agent, Cut to the Chase, The Speed of Love, Leave That Thing Alone and Everyday Glory are among my all time favortie rush songs...

I really like Animate, Stick It Out, Alien Shore, Between Sun & Moon and Nobody's Hero...

granted, its so hard to compare their eras....

I also Love to death the first three albums, maybe more than any other rush....

But then I really dig AFTK, Hemispheres, PW......

okay, i like it all..

For me, Counterparts is a heavy rush album, and is a great listen start to finish, but that's me...I understand those that aren't into it...it happens with music....

I don't like the Greatful Dead or Pink Floyd (except for a very few songs)....Why? don't know, its just How It Is....

Counterparts isn't my favorite Rush album, but it's in my top 5. Animate and Leave That Thing Alone are among my favorite 10-15 Rush tracks. I don't care for Everyday Glory, Between Sun and Moon, or Nobody's Hero, but I like all of the other tracks. I like the Test for Echo album too, though it isn't in the same league as CP.

Counterparts is f***ing Awesome. When that album came out there was a radio station in the Chicago suburbs called the Wabbit (WBIT103.9) that constantly played Cold Fire, Animate and Nobodys Hero. I'm talking well into 1994, not just the week the cd came out.

Just in case, I thought I would mention that there are possible spoilers in here!:

Continuing the shout-out for Counterparts... this is a great album! And it sounds fantastic - it was really mixed very well, and sounds very clear and sharp, with no detraction from its heaviness.

In this current tour, I'm sad that there's no Counterparts contribution, nor Vapor Trails nor Test for Echo. No representation for three of the last five albums (not counting Feeback).... though I'm glad Clockwork Angels has been thrust into the limelight - it's fantastic live!

If Rush do another tour (please, please, please!), I wonder what the setlist would be? There would be less CA, surely, though the 'best of the best' of it would still be played; there would be more room open for other songs. And with the 80s songs well-mined, there would be a huge opening for 90s songs...!

Edited by Mika

Just in case, I thought I would mention that there are possible spoilers in here!:

Continuing the shout-out for Counterparts... this is a great album! And it sounds fantastic - it was really mixed very well, and sounds very clear and sharp, with no detraction from its heaviness.

In this current tour, I'm sad that there's no Counterparts contribution, nor Vapor Trails nor Test for Echo. No representation for three of the last five albums (not counting Feeback).... though I'm glad Clockwork Angels has been thrust into the limelight - it's fantastic live!

If Rush do another tour (please, please, please!), I wonder what the setlist would be? There would be less CA, surely, though the 'best of the best' of it would still be played; there would be more room open for other songs. And with the 80s songs well-mined, there would be a huge opening for 90s songs...!

if what Geddy is saying now, or at least joking, about a possible R41 or R42......you would hope some of the 93-02 stuff would make the cut....

I would think The Anarchist, Headlong Flight and possibly one more would make the next setlist....

I really hope they bring back some of the all time songs.....any of these would be enjoyable.....trees.xanadu...freewill...natural science...AFTK, Hemispheres, La Villa...any song from the first four albums....

I love the 82-91 stuff but I have heard so much of it on multiple tours since those years.....

what we don't want, at least me, is stuff like Superconductor or Roll the Bones or Distant Early Warning, heard those plenty....

So glad they finally gave me Middletown Dreams but with the rotation i only got it once in six shows from nashville to atlantic city...

Doubt they will bring middletown back for another tour but that, Afterimage, Cold Fire or Double Agent are the ones I would hope for most...

Edited by nhlrush

Video Intro (Gearing Up)

Far Cry

Set 2:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Garden

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer

Earthshine doesn't energize many of the hardcore...and it definitely won't energize the casuals. And all those counterparts songs means I would get plenty of pee breaks. Though, even though I don't like many of those songs, I agree there is a lot of value in seeing a son that is rarely played. I'd still thoroughly enjoy this concert.

Well, first off, I chose 'all those Counterparts songs' because T4E and VT don't do too much for me as a whole....there are some good stand-alone songs on there though. Second, the times I saw Earthshine played, the crowd was very much into it. Also, the only reason I'd want Limbo played is because it's the only instrumental that I haven't seen them perform

Uh, No, the concept could work, but the song choices would not. And if they were to bring in more 90s stuff, I would not want to see a complete lack of synth

Vapor Trail would stink as an opener (no offense). I'll bet 75% of the audience wouldn't know it. But go back to the Vapor Trails Tour, what did they use as an opener?

Tom Sawyer.

As annoying as I think this song is, it is a phenomenal opener because everyone knows it. The crowd went wild in Rio when that big E synth burst through the sound system.

So my set list suggestion to you:

Tom Sawyer (replaces Subdivisions only because it is a stronger opener)

Neurotica (replaces The Big Money)

Vapor Trail (replaces Force Ten)

Animate (replaces Grand Designs)

Limelight (drop The Body Electric and Middletown Dreams)

Show Don't Tell (replaces Territories)

Test for Echo (replaces Bravado) / The Pass (that one's a keeper)

Fly By Night (being adventurous by replacing The Analog Kid with a 70s song)

The Main Monkey Business / Where's My Thing?

Subdivisions (works better closing 1st set, just like in Time Machine)

Caravan

Clockwork Angela

The Anarchist

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold / The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

Wish Them Well

The Garden

One Little Victory (replaces Manhattan Project) / Dreamline (keep it)

Red Sector A (keep as well, casual fans do know it)

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Far Cry (gotta put it somewhere)

2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx / Grand Finale

Now that's better!

Edited by Disk98

Vapor Trail would stink as an opener (no offense). I'll bet 75% of the audience wouldn't know it. But go back to the Vapor Trails Tour, what did they use as an opener?

Tom Sawyer.

As annoying as I think this song is, it is a phenomenal opener because everyone knows it. The crowd went wild in Rio when that big E synth burst through the sound system.

Caravan

Clockwork Angela

The Anarchist

Carnies

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

Wish Them Well

The Garden

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions (you have to have it somewhere)

Now that's better!

Aw, you're cheating!

You've got Subdivisions as your first set closer and your encore opener! :P

I like your thinking, though. While I really like the 90s/00s stuff, it just wouldn't do to omit everything else, would it?

Tom Sawyer.

Caravan

Clockwork Angela

The Anarchist

Carnies

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

Wish Them Well

The Garden

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions (you have to have it somewhere)

Now that's better!

Aw, you're cheating!

You've got Subdivisions as your first set closer and your encore opener! :P

I like your thinking, though. While I really like the 90s/00s stuff, it just wouldn't do to omit everything else, would it?

Oh, right. Yeah, I realize that now. I meant to bump Far Cry to the encore spot. It's fixed now.

Edited by Disk98