Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

adace1

Just finished my first listen. It's amazing as I expected, but since there's a lot of long, relatively samey songs it does feel like more of a grower than the last one. I also hoped there would have been more of Duvall singing, but it doesn't detract a whole lot from the album and Cantrell is a great singer.

Highlights so far include Hollow, Stone, Phantom Limb, Pretty Done, Lab Monkey, and Voices.

I'll probably give it an overall score after a few more listens.

Oh yeah, and I guess I should post these.

Edited by adace1

I've heard it twice now and it's a very good album. It's just about on par with the last one. Phantom Limb is easily my favorite so far. I'll have to listen to the rest before I can make a final verdict on everything. Amazing is kind of a strong word to call the album adace, since that word should only be used to describe the three studio albums they released with Layne. Nothing they release for the rest of their career will touch those albums. They're playing my area this August on the Uproar tour and I will probably be going to that. It's just too bad they have to co-headline this tour with Jane's Addiction though :facepalm:

Well I might be in the minority, but I like modern AIC as much as the classic era so I think amazing is appropriate in describing this album and the last one. But that's just me.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a 9.5/10 on this. The only track I don't care for that much is the title track (even though it does have a pretty good chorus). I don't think it'll match the last one, but it's pretty close.

Oh and I don't care for Jane's Addiction either. Pretty overrated band imo.

• Like 1

Love this band but haven't been too interested in their last few albums... From what I've heard of this album, I love it.

I recently bought the Mad Season (RIP Layne) expanded edition and I'm really enjoying the live stuff from that. I LOVE the John Lennon cover.

Check this out ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UdsN4_bQOE

Edited by custom55

Well I might be in the minority, but I like modern AIC as much as the classic era so I think amazing is appropriate in describing this album and the last one. But that's just me.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a 9.5/10 on this. The only track I don't care for that much is the title track (even though it does have a pretty good chorus). I don't think it'll match the last one, but it's pretty close.

Oh and I don't care for Jane's Addiction either. Pretty overrated band imo.

I do like AIC's newer stuff a lot to. But their run with Layne was during my junior high/high school years, so growing up with that material has made it more special to me. Dirt is one of my most listened to albums ever. It would probably make a top 20-25 list of my favorite albums if I were to ever do one. The last album was great and after listening to the new one a few more times it's close to the last one. Hollow, Voices, Breath On A Window, Scapel and Phantom Limb are my favorites.

• Like 1

So one listen in and I'll say if you liked Black Gives Way...then you ought to like this one too. I will also say this album seems slightly less dynamic than its predecessor, with no song as immediately catchy as Check My Brain, nor any one song as brave and haunting as the last record's title track. Now that said the average song on Dinosaurs might be better than the average Black cut, so overall it's probably as good. What this album could use are a couple feisty up tempo numbers just to jar the mid-tempo dirge a bit. The band would lose none of its identity or signature sound by picking it all up a bit here and again.

Very solid, I'll have to pick this up. It's been a while since I took a good listen to AIC. Hard to imagine Jerry with short hair...he looks like a really cool high school math teacher...but it's all good. Really liked the riff in Stone...definately a headbanger

The test for the AIC old schoolers is imaging Layne's vocals singing these tracks. I think they pull that off, but it seems like there's more 'dual' lead signing/harmonizing than when Layne was here.

Very solid, I'll have to pick this up. It's been a while since I took a good listen to AIC. Hard to imagine Jerry with short hair...he looks like a really cool high school math teacher...but it's all good. Really liked the riff in Stone...definately a headbanger

The test for the AIC old schoolers is imaging Layne's vocals singing these tracks. I think they pull that off, but it seems like there's more 'dual' lead signing/harmonizing than when Layne was here.

You make a great point about being able to imagine Layne singing the new stuff as a way for old fans to accept the new AIC. I've been a fan of theirs since Facelift and I can certainly picture Layne singing the material on the last two AIC albums. If you listen closely to some of their new stuff, it's almost as if you can hear Layne singing in the backround somewhere. Part of that has to do with the vocal harmonizing Cantrell always did with Layne, I think that helped a lot of fans to accept the new version of AIC since they were use to Cantrell's voice from the old material. So, Cantrell taking the lead on a lot of songs still gives it that vibe the band has always had. Cantrell's and Duvall's vocals seem blend more together though. Sometimes their voices are so in synch with each other it's hard for me to tell which one is singing.

I saw AIC last night on the Uproar tour. Unfortunately, because it's one of those stupid touring festivals America gets every summer now where they have co-headliners, they only had an hour to play. Now if they got rid of the horrible Jane's Addiction as the other headliner AIC could've played a real set. This was my first time seeing them with William Duvall and he really is a good front man. He's very in to everything and you can tell he enjoys what he's doing on stage. They put on a short but very good performance. It's still early in the tour but AIC has switched the set up a little each night, so at least they're making the most of the short set time. They only played two songs off the new album, with these festival shows I guess they have to stick with a greatest hits type of set. Once they get out on their own again i'm guessing more new stuff will be played.

Here's the set from my show:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alice-in-chains/2013/darien-lake-performing-arts-center-darien-center-ny-5bc6c730.html

I know they end most of their shows with either Rooster or Would but I don't really like Rooster as an ender. It doesn't have enough bang to end the show. Would on the other hand is perfect for that and should be their permanent set closer. The crowd was pretty drained after drowning out Jerry and William during Would and didn't have much left when they did Rooster.

I'm guessing sometime over the next year they'll tour North America again and give us a proper headlining tour for the new album. I'll have to make an effort to see them again if they do.

I bought the picture disc vinyl edition some time ago, and have given it some spins every now and then. First of all the disc doesn't have anything to let me know which side I'm playing, so I'm never sure what song I'm listening to. There are some pretty cool riffs on it, but the same tempo and the repetitive nature of the songs, makes the whole album a little too long sometimes. I have to be in a patient mood otherwise I get bored. Cool thing though: I googled picture disc vinyls and the search results were full of people, who had only negative to say about it. Funny enough, this picture disc vinyl is some of the cleanest I have ever heard from a vinyl ever :)

I saw AIC last night on the Uproar tour. Unfortunately, because it's one of those stupid touring festivals America gets every summer now where they have co-headliners, they only had an hour to play. Now if they got rid of the horrible Jane's Addiction as the other headliner AIC could've played a real set. This was my first time seeing them with William Duvall and he really is a good front man. He's very in to everything and you can tell he enjoys what he's doing on stage. They put on a short but very good performance. It's still early in the tour but AIC has switched the set up a little each night, so at least they're making the most of the short set time. They only played two songs off the new album, with these festival shows I guess they have to stick with a greatest hits type of set. Once they get out on their own again i'm guessing more new stuff will be played.

http://www.setlist.f...y-5bc6c730.html

I know they end most of their shows with either Rooster or Would but I don't really like Rooster as an ender. It doesn't have enough bang to end the show. Would on the other hand is perfect for that and should be their permanent set closer. The crowd was pretty drained after drowning out Jerry and William during Would and didn't have much left when they did Rooster.

I'm guessing sometime over the next year they'll tour North America again and give us a proper headlining tour for the new album. I'll have to make an effort to see them again if they do.

Probably would have seen them too, but the other acts killed it for me.

http://www.setlist.f...y-5bc6c730.html

Probably would have seen them too, but the other acts killed it for me.

Just show up late if you don't like the other bands. As long as you have a ticket, the doors are opened and the show isn't over yet they have to let you in. AIC was the only band on the bill I had any interest in. I showed up about 745 and Coheed & Cambria only had a few songs left. I sat through some of Jane's Addiction and walked around for a few during their set and then it was time for AIC. After going to concerts for over 20 years now, showing up late and missing the acts I don't care for has become a regular thing for me to do. Why make yourself sit through bands you don't care about?