Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

ShlappinDahBass

I had to go back and listen to the performance again after reading all the posts about Ged's vocals. I definitely don't hear anything sung out of key. Sure he's singing stuff differently, and he's definitely having to push himself, but overall, it sounds pretty good. Even the two friends that I watched this with-neither one a Rush fan mainly due to the vocals-thought he sounded surprisingly tolerable.

Surprisingly tolerable? Talk about damning with faint praise!

If there truly were non-fans who listened and were able to get past his vocals and still got turned on by Rush, they were likely mesmerized by the sheer talent of their musicianship otherwise, which was incredibly apparent. Still, it's such a shame - they're at the top of their game musically, but I just can't watch the last couple/few DVD's or watch their live clips (like this one) without doing some MAJOR cringing at Geddy's vocals. Yes, he's older, yes vocals are going to be the first thing to go, maybe he didn't warm up properly and any other number of excuses, etc., but it doesn't change the fact that the vocals were objectively a mess. If you can't hear it, watch it again and try to listen objectively... if you can.

Anyone who watched the RRHOF performance and thought his vocals were anything above "barely acceptable," which in my mind is still being very kind and generous, simply doesn't want to deal with the truth. I know it can be hard to admit that his voice isn't up to an acceptable standard and to listen somewhat objectively to notice, but man was it rough, and man did he struggle mightily.

Someone stated above that some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about, and I understand that point of view, but that still doesn't deal with the reality of the situation. Does anyone truly think I WANT to be unhappy and cringe over Geddy's vocals live? No way. I wish with all my heart that his vocals were up to the standards to their musical proficiency and dexterity these days, but it simply is not the case. There's complaining just for the sake of complaining, and there's being realistic. I can't plug my ears and pretend it sounds good when it clearly doesn't.

I never expected my point of view on this issue to be popular, and of course people are entitled to their opinions as they've stated above, but as I said, it sounds like a combination of people defending him and/or being very forgiving. For some, Rush can do no wrong and those rose colored glasses are permanently;affixed.

And almost no one wants to hear that it's probably time for them to give it up as the problem is only getting worse with each passing year and tour. That would be sad for everyone, but Rush are known for a certain level of proficiency and professionalism, and when they can no longer achieve that, as Geddy cannot vocally anymore live, it's time to call it a day.

Wow, people are going to LOVE this post. :P :unsure:

Deal with the truth? Ha. I don't like Geddy's singing on the Time Machine DVD-particularly on songs like Time Stand Still. I also don't like his singing on a lot of older bootlegs. His HOF performance is fine. The truth is, he can't sing like a chipmunk on acid any more, and it's mainly a handful of long-time Rush fans that have a problem with the way he sings the older songs these days.

Edited by malnar
  • Like 1

I had to go back and listen to the performance again after reading all the posts about Ged's vocals. I definitely don't hear anything sung out of key. Sure he's singing stuff differently, and he's definitely having to push himself, but overall, it sounds pretty good. Even the two friends that I watched this with-neither one a Rush fan mainly due to the vocals-thought he sounded surprisingly tolerable.

If Ged was in true form your friends would not have found it tolerable at all.

Exactly. Most non-fans/casual fans actually prefer his current vocal style.

• Like 2

If Ged was in true form your friends would not have found it tolerable at all.

Exactly. Most non-fans/casual fans actually prefer his current vocal style.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. The hardcore fans love his classic high pitched style, but that's the main gripe against the band, as we all know.

He was not off key. I little out of breath in a couple of spots sure. But the dude is pushing 60, that is to be expected

In all honestly I truly hear Geddy doing a fine job on vocals. I don't see the need to be worked up over the state of his voice because from my personal perspective he is doing great still.

He ain't that high pitched anymore but he can still put out those high notes when he needs 'em ;)

He was not off key. I little out of breath in a couple of spots sure. But the dude is pushing 60, that is to be expected

In all honestly I truly hear Geddy doing a fine job on vocals. I don't see the need to be worked up over the state of his voice because from my personal perspective he is doing great still.

He ain't that high pitched anymore but he can still put out those high notes when he needs 'em ;)

He was using Auto-Tune.

If I have a criticism of Geddy's vocals these days, is that he doesn't seem to be finishing the words. I've noticed him dropping the s on a couple of plural words, for example.

He's still right on pitch almost all the time though.

Holy overeaction.

Ged can still bring it live - he sounds great on this tour, go see them.

I don't care that his voice is a little rough around the edges. So what? His performance at the HOF was good, not great, but not at all "cringeworthy" and certainly won't turn off any potential new fans any more then his 20 year old screech would. C'mon

At least his 20 year old screech was in key and sounded effortless. Oh well, to each their own. Hardcore fans are incredibly forgiving, but it is a real and growing problem/issue.

No I think most of us are good enough to realize that there's a lot of things we could do at age 20 that we can't quite pull off in the same way and we allow Geddy to be human and we are grateful that we still get to spend time in the same room with him.

As I said, very forgiving. It's like my Bob Dylan example above. Most people who see him don't care that he can't sing anymore because he's a legend and they don't know how much longer he'll be doing it.

There's nothing wrong with being grateful that Geddy is still performing and that you still get to see him... but that doesn't mean that his voice is still there either, which is all I'm trying to say.

Can you imagine if Alex's guitar playing or Neil's drumming had deteriorated as much as Geddy's singing has? They'd HAVE to give it up at that point as it just wouldn't sound professional anymore. I say the same thing is the case with Geddy's singing, and it has been for awhile now, but I guess most people don't feel that way. I guess people have more wiggle room for vocals sounding bad live - it's not expected that people can sing live like they can in the studio, but at what point does it become so noticeable and such a detriment that it just isn't professional enough anymore, or it becomes too embarrassing of a deficiency? I guess the place to ask that question is not on a fan forum where most people are too biased and lenient.

Edited by rushgoober

Ged is better on this tour than TMT by a long shot. Yes, he isn't as good as he used to be. Yes, the RRHOF performance suffered a bit. It certainly wasn't as good as what I saw on the first leg of CA, both in person and on bootleg DVD. I found it "OK". He hasn't lost as much as Plant has yet, or Dylan (though in fairness Bob's 10 years older).

I know a LOT of people here despise Henley, but he is the one exception to the older guys lose their voices rule from what I've seen. He still brings it note perfect in concert. I will say last time I saw Paul Rodgers perform live (TV about 5 years ago) he was still top notch too.

Ann Wilson sounded GREAT at the RRHOF event, and so did Carole King. No, neither of their voices were quite what they were, but they still sounded really good. Another exception is Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues. I don't know what he sounds like today, but when I saw him about 4 or 5 years ago, he sounded just as good as he did in the 60's, and that's saying something. It is the exception, however - most people when they hit their 60's or start approaching their 60's can't sing at an acceptable level live anymore.

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd see how Geddy sounded on the S&A tour, where I really started noticing the problem, even though it existed prior to that. I did a google search and the firs thing it came up with was Red Barchetta from the S&A official DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMtTJS3YcMc

Check out Geddy's singing from 1:26 on through about 3:00 - I didn't listen beyond that. TRY and be objective and just listen just to the vocals. Sometimes he's fine, but at other times it's cringe city. And keep in mind this was 5 or 6 years ago and things have only and will only get worse. The RRHOF performance vocally was worse than this video.

If I recall, I think the excuse for this S&A show was that it was at the end of the tour, that he sounded much better at the beginning of the tour, or that leg or whatever - there's always some reasonable excuse given.

Hearing this on a cell phone shot by a fan is one thing, but this is the official Rush release. I marvel at how they can release this stuff with it sounding like this.

I know some people think I'm just trying to stir controversy or I'm trolling or I'm just being a dick or something, but I'm also trying to be somewhat dispassionate and honest about a real and growing problem. Think that I'm not a real Rush fan if you must, but if I wasn't a real Rush fan, I wouldn't care at all. I'm amazed it doesn't bother fans more than it does. Maybe most people's ideas of being a real Rush fan isn't to talk about the things that aren't working and just be grateful that they're still around. That's a valid point of view, and I'm grateful they're still around if for no other reason that producing the EXCELLENT Clockwork Angels album, but live there's a big problem happening.

If you can't hear the problem or don't want to hear it, I guess you're entitled, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation. For awhile I tried to ignore it and filled in with my head what it was supposed to sound like, but at some point I just had to admit that something was no longer working.

If you can't hear the problem or don't want to hear it, I guess you're entitled, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation. For awhile I tried to ignore it and filled in with my head what it was supposed to sound like, but at some point I just had to admit that something was no longer working.

We all hear what you're talking about.....the tonal qualities of Geddy's voice are obviously different than they were years ago. If it bugs you now, I suppose it's just a metter of personal taste. But there's a difference between singing in a studio and live performance. Personally, I think the way he's singing now is preferable to the screaming he used to do in the 1976-79 timeframe, trying to emulate the multi-tracked studio vox. I have Hemispheres tour bootlegs where he literally sounds like he's howling.

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd see how Geddy sounded on the S&A tour, where I really started noticing the problem, even though it existed prior to that. I did a google search and the firs thing it came up with was Red Barchetta from the S&A official DVD:

Check out Geddy's singing from 1:26 on through about 3:00 - I didn't listen beyond that. TRY and be objective and just listen just to the vocals. Sometimes he's fine, but at other times it's cringe city. And keep in mind this was 5 or 6 years ago and things have only and will only get worse. The RRHOF performance vocally was worse than this video.

If I recall, I think the excuse for this S&A show was that it was at the end of the tour, that he sounded much better at the beginning of the tour, or that leg or whatever - there's always some reasonable excuse given.

Hearing this on a cell phone shot by a fan is one thing, but this is the official Rush release. I marvel at how they can release this stuff with it sounding like this.

I know some people think I'm just trying to stir controversy or I'm trolling or I'm just being a dick or something, but I'm also trying to be somewhat dispassionate and honest about a real and growing problem. Think that I'm not a real Rush fan if you must, but if I wasn't a real Rush fan, I wouldn't care at all. I'm amazed it doesn't bother fans more than it does. Maybe most people's ideas of being a real Rush fan isn't to talk about the things that aren't working and just be grateful that they're still around. That's a valid point of view, and I'm grateful they're still around if for no other reason that producing the EXCELLENT Clockwork Angels album, but live there's a big problem happening.

It's not that I can't hear the problem, or that I don't want to hear the problem. I do agree that there are songs that Rush should no longer play live because Geddy has too much trouble singing them now, and Red Barchetta is indeed one of them. But I disagree violently that Geddy not being able to sing certain songs anymore means that Rush should quit playing live entirely. For every song he can't sing properly anymore, there are songs that he can still sing beautifully. Yes, I said beautifully. Not "passably," or "tolerably," or "adequately," but BEAUTIFULLY.

Some people like things that you don't like, Gary. Get over it!

From the same DVD, this gorgeous performance of "Mission":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbrFoD8b78

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

You may not be trying to be a trollish dick, but to some that is exactly how you come off. Like someone who enjoys upsetting folks with your opportunistic hammering of the same exaggerated points. Enjoy your jollies, ruse boy.

• Like 3

You may not be trying to be a trollish dick, but to some that is exactly how you come off. Like someone who enjoys upsetting folks with your opportunistic hammering of the same exaggerated points. Enjoy your jollies, ruse boy.

"Trollish Dick"...isn't that the name of Rushgoober's band?

No wait that's not it..."The Cod Squad"...that's the ticket

The Trollish Dicks. Best known for their 23 minute cover of Spooky Tooth's Feelin' Bad, 19 mins of which is a goober pan flute solo.

• Like 1

It's not that I can't hear the problem, or that I don't want to hear the problem. I do agree that there are songs that Rush should no longer play live because Geddy has too much trouble singing them now, and Red Barchetta is indeed one of them. But I disagree violently that Geddy not being able to sing certain songs anymore means that Rush should quit playing live entirely. For every song he can't sing properly anymore, there are songs that he can still sing beautifully. Yes, I said beautifully. Not "passably," or "tolerably," or "adequately," but BEAUTIFULLY.

Some people like things that you don't like, Gary. Get over it!

Granted, Mission sounded great, but how would he sound now 5 or 6 years later doing that song? You're saying they should no longer play Red Barchetta. With the RRHOF performance, it's obvious they should no longer play Tom Sawyer or The Spirit of Radio as he can't do those songs either. How many songs will be left that he actually CAN still pull off live? And will any of them be their big hits?

The points to me aren't exaggerated. I tell it like I see it positive and negative. It's all fun banter to me. You can't please everyone.

If people really get truly, genuinely upset by me giving my honest opinions about a rock band... well, maybe they have a bit too much invested either in the band and/or in other people's opinions and need to go out and get some air. ;)

The points to me aren't exaggerated. I tell it like I see it positive and negative. It's all fun banter to me. You can't please everyone.

If people really get truly, genuinely upset by me giving my honest opinions about a rock band... well, maybe they have a bit too much invested either in the band and/or in other people's opinions and need to go out and get some air. ;)

:LOL: your "fun banter" about Geddy's singing, Vapor Trails and other things you hate is the equivalent of the most annoying sound in the world scene from Dumb & Dummer. Some of us need to go out and get air often. Of course, on the rare occassion that you get flustered or pissy in a thread by what someone posted, well, I guess that's when you forgot to get your air. ;)

No matter, enjoy your fun. It's all about you and pleasing yourself, after all. Rush on :)

:rush:

I see where you're coming from, Goobs. But most people like casual fans always want to hear songs like 2112, Tom Sawyer, or Spirit of Radio regardless of Geddy's voice. So, I think they're mostly playing all these well known songs purely for their casual fans. As much as those songs can be a challenge to them sometimes, I'm sure they would love to take a break from them for a tour a two.

Whilst, they let us indulge in their more not very well known songs like Clockwork Angels, S&A, Grace Under Pressure and now Power Windows songs.

Regarding Geddy's voice, I think that his singing was spotty at the RRHOF and my wife commented on the same thing. It wasn't nearly as bad as it was for the TM Tour (nor was it bad), but it wasn't great. He did much better on Crossroads.

But one of the problems that Geddy has is that he constantly tries to over-deliver the singing. Even on songs like Presto and The Camera Eye, he's yelling the lyrics. Those songs could really benefit from a more subtle delivery, and Geddy's vocals would be astronomically better. I really don't know why anyone has said this to him, or why he hasn't figured this out himself.

And someone earlier talked about Plant's vocals having deteriorated more than Geddy's. Plant's vocals started much better than Geddy's, so he had more room to fall, but I still disagree. Plant recognized that he couldn't do things the old way all the time and totally changed his style. His singing on Raising Sand is among the best of his career. It's not the power of Zep, but it has a subtlety and sublime quality that he never before captured.

Goobs, I think that Geddy could still sing a lot of the songs which a change of delivery. For some of the songs, like Presto and The Camera Eye, he could do it live by mimicking his performance in the studio, which wasn't as yelled as the live performance.

:LOL:

This post is straight out of Trolling 101! :clap:

Granted, Mission sounded great, but how would he sound now 5 or 6 years later doing that song? You're saying they should no longer play Red Barchetta. With the RRHOF performance, it's obvious they should no longer play Tom Sawyer or The Spirit of Radio as he can't do those songs either. How many songs will be left that he actually CAN still pull off live? And will any of them be their big hits?

1. You can't use one song on a particular DVD to "prove" your opinion and then refuse to accept another song from that same DVD as "proof" of the opposite opinion.

2. I said that they shouldn't play Red Barchetta anymore on the basis of having seen and heard several dodgy vocal performances of it and no really good ones, not on the basis of ONE performance of it under unique circumstances, as in your Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame Tom Sawyer/The Spirit Of Radio example.

3. You might not "MEAN" to be a troll, but when it comes to Vapour Trails and Geddy's theoretical lack of singing ability, indeed, you are one in the generally accepted usage of the word on the Internet. Do a little research if you don't believe me. :)

Edited by GeddysMullet

Ann Wilson sounded GREAT at the RRHOF event, and so did Carole King. No, neither of their voices were quite what they were, but they still sounded really good. Another exception is Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues. I don't know what he sounds like today, but when I saw him about 4 or 5 years ago, he sounded just as good as he did in the 60's, and that's saying something. It is the exception, however - most people when they hit their 60's or start approaching their 60's can't sing at an acceptable level live anymore.

Justin Hayward's voice isn't the same. If you listen to his latest solo album just released, not only will you be disappointed (sorry Justin, but with a couple of exceptions it stinks), but you will notice that the richness his voice once had is gone. Plus, he has said he can no longer hit the higher notes he used to sing (he gave Tuesday Afternoon as an example).