Drummers! Name licks that Neil made famous!

geddyforlife

I for one am in awe of the hand over hand cross over sticking he employs during the instrumental section of The Weapon. Neil looks like a robot when playing that section. You can see it clearly on the Grace Under Pressure video.

How about you?

The one on The Weapon is kind of a cross but really not that hard.(if I'm remembering the same part as you) Certainly not as difficult as his solo crossovers.(which I have finally become very comfortable with) Still very cool. He's already playing two handed sixteenth notes on the hi hat in that section of The Weapon so when he brings his hands over for snare accents his right hand does cross over the left but there is no left over right crossover like the solo. I have recorded LaVilla in the studio before and I don't remember any crossovers there. Been a while since I played it though. Too many great Neil licks too mention although one of the great ones is on VT believe it or not. The double bass onslaught at the very beginning of One Little Victory is too cool. He rolling on double bass and snare plus accenting the downbeats on the second hi hat all the while throwing in various snare accents with both hands. He doesn't get enough credit for this drum part but it's one of his best.
  • Like 2

Licks that made Neil Famous? Tom Sawyer fills, YYZ fills, unison intro line on TSOR with Geddy. Are those even close to his best? No way, but they are the ones that made him famous.

I think all Neil's licks made him famous. He is famous because he developed a style and creativity that captured the imagination of a whole generation or two of drummers and listeners. Lets face it........although Neil is a great technician on the drums and very precise, he would not make the top 50 drummers in the world if we are talking technical ability alone.(Neil even says so himself) What makes Neil great is his combination of style, creativity, and chops. When you combine all three he is right there towards the top. I'll take Style and creativity over chops any day although Neil has plenty of all three.
  • Like 1

Okay. So I'm not a drummer. And this certainly isn't what made him famous, but one of my Neil favorite "licks" is the ride pattern in Everyday Glory. And while I'm on cymbal/bell patterns...La Villa and YYZ.

Okay. So I'm not a drummer. And this certainly isn't what made him famous, but one of my Neil favorite "licks" is the ride pattern in Everyday Glory. And while I'm on cymbal/bell patterns...La Villa and YYZ.

I believe the ride pattern you are talking about in Everyday Glory is the same as the chorus in The Pass. Fun talking Neil licks:)

I've always loved his playing on Circumstances.. Not sure how tough it is, but it just drives the song and his fills are awesome sounding.

I believe the ride pattern you are talking about in Everyday Glory is the same as the chorus in The Pass. Fun talking Neil licks:)

Yes it is. And yes it is!

The one on The Weapon is kind of a cross but really not that hard.(if I'm remembering the same part as you)

Yes I agree it is not that hard but what I am saying is that it is very freaking creative at that exact time in the song. :)

Neil's ride pattern during most choruses is a classic pattern that Neil made very famous. It is the type of pattern that creates the feeling of anticipation and borderline panic mixed with excitement. Edited by geddyforlife

1. Definitely his ride bell pattern used on Spirit of Radio, La Villa, YYZ. Taylor Hawkins of the Foos has claimed to rip this lick off for the FF song "Rope"

2. His two quick concert tom bursts on 2112 Overture

3. His quick open high-hat accents on songs like Making Memories (2112) and the beginning of Cygnus-X1

4. Fills that use groupings of 4 quick strokes on each tom (first fill in the middle of YYZ)

5. 8 stroke-4 stroke-8 stroke-4 stroke roll (Fly by Night, and just before the vocal on Temples of Syrinx )

6. Alternating ride and china cymbal pattern (Subdivisions, Chemistry)

7. Cowbell pattern on almost all his solos

8. Oriental cowbell jingle (ATWAS solo, Passage to Bankok)

9. The waltz pattern in his solos (boring but respected)

10. This list can go on and on..........

I think one big one, my dad mentions a lot, is the cross on La Villa Strangiato. Starting at the beginning of Alex's solo.

are you talking about that very subtle cross?

Yes! I hear many musicians mention this part. It's a tough little thing to do. It has a jazzy/bluesy edge to it.

They're mostly blown away by the transitioning into traditional grip and the time change without hardly being noticed. At least, that's what I hear from drummers.

Live, when he tosses that stick 30 ft in the air and catches it......that is cooooooooool!!!

I was really into my drumming and tried that once....the stick rebounded off of the ceiling and onto my head :LOL:

• Like 1

Even if you are not a drummer (I don't call myself one but I know enough to play my V-drums... poorly) a great study of Neil is the Taking Center Stage book by Joe Bergamini(probably best to own the DVD too!) He breaks down a lot of classic songs as played on the Time Machine tour, calling out many of Neil's signatures and how he applies them in different situations. Not only that, great photos, old advertisements featuring Neil, and a great study of how the kit has changed over the years. A must for any Neil and Rush fan.

Specific to this thread topic though... well I guess it's not a "lick" persay but rather song construction is how he uses the same fill patterns but complicates them or otherwise adds or changes them with each passage. Never the same way twice.

The Body Electric.

Subdivisions - HH / Ride 16ths.

TSOR - 2nd verse - Ride/Crash 8th combo

Tom Sawyer - steady 16ths -- such a distinctive sound

the paradiddle ride patterns in YYZ, TSOR

These are a FEW examples of things that are uniquely neil peart.