By Request: Goober's Fake John Rutsey Interview

rushgoober

Alright, for those who missed it the first time around, I'm re-posting my fake John Rutsey interview from a few years ago. It won't be as funny knowing it's fake, but hopefully it will still get a laugh or two. At the time, since people would know it wasn't real if I posted it, I had a friend on TRF post it with an elaborate story about how he got an advance copy of the interview before it was published and was allowed to leak it to the Rush fan community. Most people bought it. In fact, a LOT of people bought it and I think it was picked up on other Rush boards too if I recall. This was done a year or two before he died, and a few years before BTLS.

Anyway, from the vaults, from the archives, here is my legendary John Rutsey interview:

Ok, Rush fans, get ready to read something that will really blow your minds.

If anyone is any kind of serious Rush fan, and I mean the kind of fan who has to have ALL of their albums (and there are a lot of them to have), you've all stopped and thought at least briefly about their original drummer, John Rutsey, and what became of him.

As you know, John Rutsey was the drummer on Rush's 1974 self-titled debut album, but he left the band shortly afterwards. This wasn't anything too extraordinary at the time. After all, people leave bands all the time, but it is quite notable when you take into consideration Rush's subsequent worldwide success, selling 35-plus million albums to date, and a recording career spanning 33 years so far. One can't help but think of Pete Best, the "Fifth Beatle" that was there in the beginning, but missed all the massive success.

The details of John's departure have always been vague, with reasons such as the traditional "creative differences", as well as vague allusions to health problems from diabetes being cited as contributing factors.

But what became of John Rutsey after being replaced by Neil Peart, arguably the best rock and roll drummer in the history of, well, rock and roll? In 1989, guitarist Alex Lifeson stated, "John's still around. I see John quite often. He gave up playing shortly after he left the band and went into bodybuilding. He competed on an amateur level for a while, doing that for a few years, and has sort of been in and out of that, but he still works out, and I work out with him a few times a week at a local gym - at a Gold's, here in Toronto." In a more recent interview, Lifeson admitted he hadn't seen John since 1990. One can only imagine Alex having to quickly switch gyms once word got out and Gold's gym memberships in the Toronto area quadrupled from rabid Rush fans trying to get close to the iconic guitarist.

Just try and find information about John Rutsey or pictures of him these days on the Internet, and all you'll see is pictures of him from 1973 and 1974. For all intents and purposes, the man dropped off the face of the earth. I was always curious what happened to this elusive and historically important figure in the Rush saga, to find out the real story of what happened back then and what he's up to now.

It wasn't too long after thinking more seriously of trying to track him down "somehow" that I happened upon an online review of their first album that had a casual reference to someone knowing John Rutsey. I did some sleuthing around and tracked this person down. After a few days, a few e-mails and a few phone calls, I actually found myself on the phone with the legend himself, although he'd hardly consider himself in those terms.

If you can believe it, it's been many, many years since anyone has tracked him down and approached him about doing an interview. In the past he had been extremely reluctant, being somewhat of a private person, but I guess enough time has gone by that he was finally ready to tell his side of the story. I had NO idea what to expect, after all so little is known about the man, but let me just say that I wasn't let down, that's for sure.

So, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the long-awaited John Rutsey interview.

Interviewer: It's nice to be speaking with you. You've been quite an elusive figure in rock music. Did you continue playing after leaving Rush?

John Rutsey (JR): I played drums for a few years in some bar bands. One band was called Overture. Another was called Fugue, and later we called ourselves Death March. We mostly played in some Toronto suburbs, sometimes in the city, nothing really major.

INTERVIEWER: Before I go into the reasons for you leaving Rush and what you've been up to lately, I have to ask you the burning question everyone has on their minds.

JR: Uh oh, here it comes (laughs).

INTERVIEWER: You know I have to. So, any regrets? Does it drive you out of your mind to see the success Rush went on to become after you left the band? Do you ever feel like, "Man, that could've been me?"

JR: Let me tell you, if I could kick my own ass, I would. At various points when the remorse was at its worse, I would hire groups of thugs to kick my ass for me. I felt I deserved it. With every milestone the band made, my feelings of disappointment and failure mounted. I can't tell you how many times I tried to kill myself, but alas, I was a failure at that too.

INTERVIEWER: Wow, I had no idea.

JR: Aww, I'm just pulling your leg, man.

INTERVIEWER: (incredulous laughter) Really???

JR: Yep. (laughter) Let me put it to you this way. I'm a realist. Neil Peart is a brilliant musician. As talented as Alex and Geddy are, they never would have had the success they had without Peart. I mean, let's be honest here. Yeah, we had some minor success before I left the band and probably would have had a little more, but it never would have been what it became with Peart. Hold on, I'll be right back, I need to remove some darts from my Neil Peart dartboard. (laughs)

INTERVIEWER: So back to that then, what DID cause you to leave the band? Was it truly "creative differences" or "health problems".

JR: Yes, I too have read the more official accounts of why I left. They always have been a little vague about my departure, but that was intentionally so. The sad truth is that Geddy and I just didn't get along. I was never really very fond of his singing, and he was always extremely critical of my drumming. Part of that was due to my drug and alcohol use, but we were all pretty heavy pot smokers and drinkers back then. That just came with being in a band in the early to mid 70's. Also, we just never meshed like Alex and I did and like he and Alex did on a personality level. After one show it got so bad that it actually came to blows backstage. Geddy comes off in interviews like a pretty relaxed guy, but he used to have a vicious temper, especially when he was drinking. Admittedly, I was no prize back then either.

INTERVIEWER: I never would have known. Do you still have any hard feelings towards Geddy?

JR: Nah. We worked all that stuff out decades ago, and I have no animosity towards him at all. From what Alex used to tell me, he mellowed considerably as time went on, and his drinking has been under control ever since.

INTERVIEWER: So it's true you kept in touch with Alex for years? You were a bodybuilder?

JR: Yes and yes. I've always been attracted to the male form. I guess that's just natural as a gay man, but for me it was something more. I was always very taken with Roman and Greek art. The men depicted with their finely sculpted bodies always endlessly intrigued me, and I wanted to make myself in that kind of image. So I worked out for years. I had some mild success as an amateur bodybuilder, but never could break through to the next level. Still, I couldn't really complain. I mean, I was having so much sex back then, that all I could think of was my next sexual conquest anyway. I was somewhat of a sexual addict, and that became more important than "winning". This was before AIDS though, and that of course changed everything. I kept working out though, still do as a matter of fact, but I'm in my 50's now. The days of competing are long over.

INTERVIEWER: (pause)

JR: You ok there, buddy?

INTERVIEWER: Sorry, just a little shocked.

JR: (laughs). It's alright – not what you expected I bet!

INTERVIEWER: No, but that's cool. So what happened with Alex? How come you're no longer in touch?

JR: It's like with any friendship. Some last for a month, a few years, a lifetime. Things had just run their course and we didn't hang out anymore after awhile. (pause) There was more to it than that, but I'll leave it at that for now.

INTERVIEWER: Oh come on, Rush fans need to know!

JR: Oh DO they now? (laughter)

INTERVIEWER: Well, you ARE being very revealing, and I appreciate your honesty. I just thought in the spirit of that kind of honesty that you might like to…

JR: Oh fine, twist my arm why don't you! (laughs) Ok, here it is. You want the truth, I'll give it to you. I always found Alex to be a very attractive person. His charm and friendly personality, the way he talked to me, even the way he held his guitar onstage - it was always very inviting to me. So after we were working out together for awhile I noticed I was having more than just friendship feelings about him, and eventually I let him know. He appreciated me telling him, but of course he wasn't interested. Alex is straight as an arrow. Things were never quite the same with him after that and we kind of drifted apart.

INTERVIEWER: Wow.

JR: Yep, that's the way it goes sometime. It worked out for the best though. I met my partner Patrick a little while later and we just celebrated our 13th anniversary together. Once gay marriages became legal in Canada a couple of years back, we made it official.

INTERVIEWER: Well, congratulations then!

JR: Thanks, I've never been happier.

INTERVIEWER: So what have you done for work then? Surely you aren't living off royalties from the 1974 album?

JR: (laughs) Um, no. I do get a check every once in awhile and we use it to go see a movie. (more laughs) Seriously though, it's a bit more than that, but it's not THAT much. Actually, I've had quite a series of jobs since I left the band – musician, recording engineer, landscape architect, telemarketer, etc. I even worked in a cheese factory for awhile of all things! A few years ago I went back and got my degree in marketing and now work for a big Ontario firm. The last product I marketed was mallomars for Nabisco. Do you know mallomars?

INTERVIEWER: It's kind of like a chocolate graham cracker thing, right?

JR: Yeah, with marshmallows too. I worked on several of their campaigns until just recently.

INTERVIEWER: Another question Rush fans would love to know I'd wager is if you've kept up with the band's music. Are you a fan? Do you buy their albums? Have you seen them in concert?

JR: Honestly, no. I admire their talent, especially Neil's drumming and Alex's playing, but I kind of lost interest after leaving the band. I'm more into straight ahead rock and roll. You know, AC/DC, Queen, Judas Priest, Ted Nugent. I never went for the whole prog rock thing - too much noodling around. They've got some really catchy songs, but it's not quite my style, and I never really did warm up to Geddy's vocals. I saw them once earlier on, I think around the 2112 tour, but it was kind of depressing.

INTERVIEWER: I thought their success didn't bother you?

JR: Well, I've made peace with it, but if I'm being honest, really honest, it does bother me sometimes. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me at all. But also I like my life the way it is, and I'm kind of a private person anyway. The rock star life was fun, but I never really got comfortable being on stage. I was always somewhat of a nervous wreck – probably why I used to drink so much.

INTERVIEWER: Do you still play drums ever?

JR: Nah, I put away the sticks years ago. You know, sometimes if I'm at a party or something and there's a set of drums I'll fool around a little on them, but I kind of lost interest. I was into playing the xylophone and glockenspiel a bit several years back, but that's hardly a marketable commodity, you know?

INTERVIEWER: Well I certainly appreciate you being willing to talk to me, and I know Rush fans will be appreciative of it too. Is there anything you'd like to say to Rush fans out there?

JR: Yeah, I appreciate that there's still an interest in me after all these years, and I'm glad that first album still gets the attention it does. You'll have to forgive me for not giving out any pictures of myself or anything, but I would really rather not become a public figure in any way. I like my quiet life the way it is – golfing, working, working out, whittling wood, dancing, spending quiet evenings with Patrick. I'll never forget those days playing with the boys, though. There were a lot of good times to go along with the bad, and I continue to wish them well. I don't envy them their success, not most of the time anyway…

• Like 4

Very well done. Even knowing it's a fake I was fooled a few times. Was he actually gay?

:LOL:

Wow, even KNOWING it was fake you still thought it was real? :P

He could have been gay - I have no idea. No one knows anything about him post-1974 other than he died. Or if they do, they aren't talking.

Very well done. Even knowing it's a fake I was fooled a few times. Was he actually gay?

He could have been gay - I have no idea. No one knows anything about him post-1974 other than he died. Or if they do, they aren't talking.

Jesus Christ goobs they still believe you even when you tell them it's fake!! You should be a cult leader!!!

I remember reading this probably 6 years ago. Still good stuff.

Actually, let me clarify - there were a couple of real elements in the article. The quotes From Alex in the beginning about seeing John and he was a bodybuilder, then not seeing him in years, etc. - THOSE are real. The rest - not so much. :P

This is the funniest part of the whole bit:

JR: Yes and yes. I've always been attracted to the male form. I guess that's just natural as a gay man, but for me it was something more. I was always very taken with Roman and Greek art. The men depicted with their finely sculpted bodies always endlessly intrigued me, and I wanted to make myself in that kind of image. So I worked out for years. I had some mild success as an amateur bodybuilder, but never could break through to the next level. Still, I couldn't really complain. I mean, I was having so much sex back then, that all I could think of was my next sexual conquest anyway. I was somewhat of a sexual addict, and that became more important than "winning". This was before AIDS though, and that of course changed everything. I kept working out though, still do as a matter of fact, but I'm in my 50's now. The days of competing are long over.

That was comedic gold right there. :LMAO: