Knee injury?

FountainOfSyrinx

Got my MRI results back. They said its a torn ACL and a fracture of the femur.. Not sure how bad the fracture is though.. They didn't really say.

My wife just had her ACL replaced. We checked in at the hospital at 9 am. We were home by 2 pm.

Your research project is allograft (cadaver ACL) vs. autograft (using your hamstring). She went with the allograft because she's not an Olympic athlete.

Good luck.

I had 3 options... Cadaver patellar tendon, my patellar tendon or my hamstring. I was young and didn't want to put a weaker solution in, so cadaver was out. Injury to my patellar tendon left me one choice... My hammy. Rehab was a little more intense, but glad I went that route.

We go to the orthopedic dude on Monday. Not sure what to expect.

As for the fracture, yes, it must be a hairline because I don't feel it.

Got my MRI results back. They said its a torn ACL and a fracture of the femur.. Not sure how bad the fracture is though.. They didn't really say.

I called the ACL tear ......

You did...??? :eyeroll: You might want to check post #5 in this thread...... :P :P

Well, I had my surgery yesterday. Everything went well. I'm now bed ridden for a couple of days, but the doc said I should be able to get around without crutches within a week, and lose the brace that makes my leg look bionic within a few weeks. :)
  • Like 1

Well, I had my surgery yesterday. Everything went well. I'm now bed ridden for a couple of days, but the doc said I should be able to get around without crutches within a week, and lose the brace that makes my leg look bionic within a few weeks. :)

You mean you didn't pay extra and get the real bionics? ;) ;)

But seriously, I'm glad it went well. I still have nightmares about my knee surgery from long ago (when doctors didn't know squat about knee surgery)..... :o

Wishing you a quick recovery, FOS. I've been struggling with a bone aedema on my left foot for months, and since I switched from running to indoor bike classes to keep my weight down, my left knee really hurts every now and then. Now I've switched to swimming, which really helps, but no amount of ice and phisio seems to help thise injuries. I'm starting to think I'll never be able to run marathons again...

You mean you didn't pay extra and get the real bionics? ;) ;)

But seriously, I'm glad it went well. I still have nightmares about my knee surgery from long ago (when doctors didn't know squat about knee surgery)..... :o

I'm in a bit of pain, but nothing too substantial. I think they did a good job, and I've got good people taking care of me afterwards so I'm in good hands.

Wishing you a quick recovery, FOS. I've been struggling with a bone aedema on my left foot for months, and since I switched from running to indoor bike classes to keep my weight down, my left knee really hurts every now and then. Now I've switched to swimming, which really helps, but no amount of ice and phisio seems to help thise injuries. I'm starting to think I'll never be able to run marathons again...

Thanks man. And anything with the feet does not sound bueno at all. Here's me wishing you all the luck. Doctors can't do much?

The two doctors I've seen so far, from the same clinic, said that bone edemas take a long time to heal. I'm not helping my case either- every time I have the slightest improvement, I think I'm ready to run again and go for it, only to find out on the next day that it's still sore. Now I think I've learned my lesson and will stop running altogether, to focus on the recovery.

As far as I know I have no ACL, MCL, tendons or anything else. My knees seems to be solid fully self-contained units with no dangly parts that go wrong...

:D-13:

Duck loves threads about knees

As far as I know I have no ACL, MCL, tendons or anything else. My knees seems to be solid fully self-contained units with no dangly parts that go wrong...

:yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes:

:yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes:

Miss ya treeduck :hi:

The two doctors I've seen so far, from the same clinic, said that bone edemas take a long time to heal. I'm not helping my case either- every time I have the slightest improvement, I think I'm ready to run again and go for it, only to find out on the next day that it's still sore. Now I think I've learned my lesson and will stop running altogether, to focus on the recovery.

Damn, that's rough. But at least you kind of know what's wrong. But being passionate about running and not being able to run is not good. At all.

So, this is probably the most miserable week in my entire life solely based on the fact that this is the worst pain I've ever endured and I feel like I haven't done a damn thing with myself over the past 6 days.

So, this is probably the most miserable week in my entire life solely based on the fact that this is the worst pain I've ever endured and I feel like I haven't done a damn thing with myself over the past 6 days.

It will pass. It WILL..... :)

I've been where you are right now. Twice. When I was 12 and again at 34. It's a true test of one's character and will power.

You will triumph!! You WILL!! :)

Well, I think the main issue is that my whole leg from thigh to ankle is really swollen and painful. When I first tore it, there was no swelling or anything so it never was that painful. But the front side of the kneecap can be really really painful when I'm crunching around and like my shin is really painful.

Is this because of the fluids in the knee?

Good news at my post-op yesterday.. I'm coming along. Pain still in the knee though.. Can't really raise it up at all. But, my first PT appointment is scheduled for tomorrow. Holding out hope for a hot physical therapist.. Whoops. ;)
  • Like 1

How goes the PT?

I messed up my knee again coaching football 1 week ago. Rest and ice got it in pretty good shape by Sat. Went to our first scrimmage and a kid plowed into me. Now my knee is worse than ever. I am really getting sick of this crap! Hope your surgeon did a better job. 15 years of wear and tear on the reconstruction wore the joint down. Apparently I have little cartilage left.

How goes the PT?

I messed up my knee again coaching football 1 week ago. Rest and ice got it in pretty good shape by Sat. Went to our first scrimmage and a kid plowed into me. Now my knee is worse than ever. I am really getting sick of this crap! Hope your surgeon did a better job. 15 years of wear and tear on the reconstruction wore the joint down. Apparently I have little cartilage left.

Time for an artificial knee?

How goes the PT?

10 years ago, the doc I saw after moving back to WI said that I wouldn't make it to 40 with my own knee. He may be right.... he also told me to wait as long as I can because of tremendous advancements made every few years.

How goes the PT?

10 years ago, the doc I saw after moving back to WI said that I wouldn't make it to 40 with my own knee. He may be right.... he also told me to wait as long as I can because of tremendous advancements made every few years.

It got to be too much, went to see the doc last week, had an MRI on Wed and Fri followed up with the doc. He wanted to send me into surgery tomorrow. I told him I would like to finish out the football season, and we now have it scheduled for the 2nd week in Nov. No replacement just yet, apparently my ACL reconstruction is holding up well.