It's official, hopes for a 40th anniversary tour ARE doomed!

nhlrush

This isn't that big of a tour, 35 concerts 2012, 35 concerts in 2013. My god there are bands whose members are older playing far more shows in a more concentrated time frame. The reason the're not talking a 40th anniversary tour is that they are waiting for this one to be over. The casual fan may not go to this leg of the Clockwork Angels tour if they know they are going to do a R40 with more Classics.

interesting take on it....

i am not sure that rush really manipulates things like this, but its true in the fact that if I knew for sure that there was going to be an R40 tour, I would scale back some shows for this spring/summer leg...

with Geddy saying there will be no plans for R40, I am trying to figure out how many shows I can get to

I think you hit it on the head. Release some disinformation about R40 to sell more CA Tour Tickets. Then Come April of next year release the info on R40! Sounds about right to me!

:codger:

• Like 1

There are alot of people in this forum who like to have their own version of the future rather than listening to the words that are right out of the Band's mouths.

Listen to the full eddie trunk interview: http://eddietrunk.com/media/eddie-tv/

Right from the guys's mouths you hear it all without the need to speculate and create alternate futures.

1. They are taking at least a year off, There wont be an R40.

2. They arent done, They will make a record again. And they will tour it properly like they always have, they will just have to manage themselves physically.

Everyone should see them this summer, more than once, if possible and get your fill.

I think the biggest threat to Rush is some sort of external factor. A family member illness, a motorcycle accident, something unforeseen. That is more the worry

I think they SHOULD take at LEAST a year off. They have done extensive touring, every year since 2007 except 2009, Let them take a break. Get their family groove back. NOT GET BURNT OUT.

They have played so much of their material already since T4E, its not like they have an abundance of uncovered material anyways, except deep album buts mostly.

They will turn the machine back on down the road, let them just take their proper time.....

• Like 4

Time Machine II in 2015, celebrating PeW 25th anniversary. Guaranteed*

*guarantee not actual guarantee

Now that sounds great But don't you mean The Time Machine Too? LOL Anyway, this one deserves a setlist.

Set 1:

Opening Video: Rush gets shipped Wrecked on an island, Neil Starts playing Coconuts to the opening rhythm of:

Show Don't Tell

Caravan

Limelight

Cut to the Chase

Kid Gloves

Sweet Miracle

Mal-Nar

Dreamline

Clockwork Angels

2112 (O/T/F)

Set 2:

Video: (Rush finds The Time Machine in a buried Chest set for 1980, A monkey presses the button)

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacobs Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings

Natural Science

Test For Echo

Alex's Heavier-Harmonic ending Solo/

Red Barchetta

New World Man

The Anarchist

YYZ / Drum Solo

Alex's Acoustic Solo/ The Garden

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

FarCry

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

There are alot of people in this forum who like to have their own version of the future rather than listening to the words that are right out of the Band's mouths.

Listen to the full eddie trunk interview: http://eddietrunk.com/media/eddie-tv/

Right from the guys's mouths you hear it all without the need to speculate and create alternate futures.

1. They are taking at least a year off, There wont be an R40.

2. They arent done, They will make a record again. And they will tour it properly like they always have, they will just have to manage themselves physically.

Everyone should see them this summer, more than once, if possible and get your fill.

I think the biggest threat to Rush is some sort of external factor. A family member illness, a motorcycle accident, something unforeseen. That is more the worry

I think they SHOULD take at LEAST a year off. They have done extensive touring, every year since 2007 except 2009, Let them take a break. Get their family groove back. NOT GET BURNT OUT.

They have played so much of their material already since T4E, its not like they have an abundance of uncovered material anyways, except deep album buts mostly.

They will turn the machine back on down the road, let them just take their proper time.....

Great Link, Thanks KCRush Fan, On a different note, August 2013 to September 2014 is more than a year! Don't be the killer of Hope! Its all we have sometimes.

:laughing guy:

This isn't that big of a tour, 35 concerts 2012, 35 concerts in 2013. My god there are bands whose members are older playing far more shows in a more concentrated time frame. The reason the're not talking a 40th anniversary tour is that they are waiting for this one to be over. The casual fan may not go to this leg of the Clockwork Angels tour if they know they are going to do a R40 with more Classics.

interesting take on it....

i am not sure that rush really manipulates things like this, but its true in the fact that if I knew for sure that there was going to be an R40 tour, I would scale back some shows for this spring/summer leg...

with Geddy saying there will be no plans for R40, I am trying to figure out how many shows I can get to

I think you hit it on the head. Release some disinformation about R40 to sell more CA Tour Tickets. Then Come April of next year release the info on R40! Sounds about right to me!

I'd have to agree on this fact! If we all knew that R40 was coming around the corner, then we all could skim down on the number of shows we attend on the upcoming 2nd leg knowing that we'd see the boys again "soon" next year. It's a marketing ploy to sell as many tickets now for the CA tour!! Great financial plan if you ask me!!

Why would they lie now? Do you really think they'd lie and figure that no one will call them out when it becomes obvious they lied? Makes no sense whatsoever unless you're the type who'd rip off your own mother for a couple of extra bucks. If they say they need time off after this much touring, then I'm sure they do. Like I said above, R50 would be a much more important milestone anyway.

I'm not at all surprised by this news from Ged. I'd posted early this month that an R40 tour just doesn't seem like something they'd want to do, It's just not consistent with them as a band that always seems to look forward. If ever they were to look back, it would have been on the Time Machine tour, and given that they felt the need to release new material in advance of that tour, I just couldn't imagine that they'd gather around and tell each other... " Let's do an R 40 tour ". From my perspective, it just seems that they need a break. I'm sure they'll be back after a well deserved break.

Maybe they will wait until 2015 and then do a big anniversary tour. It would be a year late, but late is better than never. I think I'd be happy with that, they deserve the rest. I'm still pissed they're not coming to California on the second U.S. leg of this tour!!!

Why would they lie now? Do you really think they'd lie and figure that no one will call them out when it becomes obvious they lied? Makes no sense whatsoever unless you're the type who'd rip off your own mother for a couple of extra bucks. If they say they need time off after this much touring, then I'm sure they do. Like I said above, R50 would be a much more important milestone anyway.

It's not lying, just a disguise of the fact that they need to sell CA tix now!! R50?...Keep dreaming or wishful thinking IMO!! I don't think any of the boys would be on the top of their game at that point. They don't want to go out touring unless they are in top form.

:madra:

Saying in interviews that there will be no R40 tour and that they're taking an extended hiatus would be lying if they are planning to tour R40 and just want people not to know so they can sell more tix this summer. That sort of BSing fans is not something these guys have a reputation for. I think it's sweet that fans want an R40 show so badly that they'd refuse to believe what the band says their plans are, but thinking it's a scheme to sell more tix this time around is getting into paranoid territory. Edited by HalfwayToGone

I think the reason fans are so pumped for an R40 tour is due to the sucess or setlist that was introduced during the R30 tour. Minus the Feedback songs (and even those weren't to bad) That setlist was nearly perfect! Just the Instrumedley was worth the price of admission!

R30 Setlist:

R30 Overture: Finding My Way / Anthem / Bastile Day / A Passage to Bangkok / Cygnus X-1 / Hemispheres (Prelude)

The Spirit of Radio

Force Ten

Animate

Subdivsions

Earthshine

Red Barchetta

Roll the Bones

Bravado

YYZ

The Trees (I feel Fine & Day Tripper Ending)

The Seeker

One Little Victory (with Dragon Intro)

Intermission: That Darn Dragon Intro

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer

Dreamline

Secret Touch

Between the Wheels

Mystic Rhythms

Red Sector A

Der Trommler (Drum Solo)

Resist (Acoustic)

Heart Full of Soul (Acoustic)

2112 (O/T/F)

La Villa Strangiatto (With Lerxst Rant)

By Tor and the Snowdog (Abbreviated)

Xanadu (Abbreviated)

Working Man (Reggae Ending)

Encore:

Summertime Blues

Crossroads

Limelight

Now looking back at that setlist, makes it obvious why fans are screaming for an R40 Tour. That Tour had just about everything. Now take that same setlist and switch the four Feedback songs with CA Songs (Caravan, the Garden, The Anarchist & Headlong Flight) and you have a nearly Perfect Setlist!

:dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

If this tour had any of the following songs, I don't think I would be so bummed about no R40....

natural science

freewill

trees

xanadu

hemispheres

la villa

by-tor

any of the R30 overture (even with no singing)

I know there are many rush fans who are not fans of medleys....but it really killed me that when the Clockwork Angels portion of the second set was done, they went back basically to the first set and did more album cuts from the 80s/90s.....

this was the time to break into a wild and crazy medley of some of the songs listed above....and I would have been totally fine if it was all instramental which would have been great to save Ged's voice.....

I love Rush's lyrics and Ged's voice, but for me the driving force of the three of them is the music, the riffs, Neil doing his thing, Ged pounding away on the bass, Alex's solos....

I would be fine with the last 20-30 minutes of medleys with no singing or minimal singing....

Instead we got a very standard last few songs of Tom Sawyer and 2112, for those of us who have been to many many rush shows, I could live without these despite how much I love them on their own..

From RIAB:

quote from article in Metal Hammer:

Geddy: ""I don't think about things like the 40th anniversary. We have no plans to celebrate it. We did enough for the 30th. So, if anything is being planned, it will be without our involvement. We are still looking forward, not back." ...

Yikes....so this means after Kansas City on August 4, 2013, there are ZERO plans for the future of RUSH besides REST....

I am not saying they don't deserve it....sure they do...and they can do anything they want, they owe us nothing. NOTHING...

but as a fan of the band and someone who travels to see many multiple shows per tour, I cannot help but wonder when we may see Rush on stage again.....could they change their minds about an R40, maybe, but doubtful....

Will Geddy just concede that the rigors of touring are just too much for another extended tour.....

As said in my other thread about R40, if you have the ability to see them on this tour.....GO!!!

I haven't read through this thread but IMO since they have been a live show band more than anything else, I would at least expect to see a farewell tour before they completely hang it up.

They know the fans are their success, not radio or video or any other outlet. I think they will honor that.

Nothing is doomed until we decide it is! Were we doomed when Y2K rolled out? Were we doomed when the Mayan Calendar expired? No! And we are not doomed now. I say we demand an R40 tour! Who's with me?.........Ahhhhhhhhhh!

:madra: :madra: :madra: :madra: :madra: :madra: :madra: :madra:

If this tour had any of the following songs, I don't think I would be so bummed about no R40....

natural science

freewill

trees

xanadu

hemispheres

la villa

by-tor

I know there are many rush fans who are not fans of medleys....but it really killed me that when the Clockwork Angels portion of the second set was done, they went back basically to the first set and did more album cuts from the 80s/90s.....

this was the time to break into a wild and crazy medley of some of the songs listed above....and I would have been totally fine if it was all instramental which would have been great to save Ged's voice.....

I love Rush's lyrics and Ged's voice, but for me the driving force of the three of them is the music, the riffs, Neil doing his thing, Ged pounding away on the bass, Alex's solos....

I would be fine with the last 20-30 minutes of medleys with no singing or minimal singing....

Instead we got a very standard last few songs of Tom Sawyer and 2112, for those of us who have been to many many rush shows, I could live without these despite how much I love them on their own..

The problem you have, nhlrush, is that you havent seen enough Rush Tours. All of the songs you mention have been resurrected not so long ago. The Vapor Trails tour, the R30 tour, covered all those songs. You just missed them apparently.

My only complaint on the current tour is that instead of weird resurrections like middletown dreams and grand designs, which werent even hits in their heydey, i would rather they bring back a couple of other 80s hits like The enemy within or Jacobs Ladder or The Weapon. Big Big 80's fan favorites....

• Like 1

natural science

freewill

trees

xanadu

hemispheres

la villa

by-tor

The problem you have, nhlrush, is that you havent seen enough Rush Tours. All of the songs you mention have been resurrected not so long ago. The Vapor Trails tour, the R30 tour, covered all those songs. You just missed them apparently.

My only complaint on the current tour is that instead of weird resurrections like middletown dreams and grand designs, which werent even hits in their heydey, i would rather they bring back a couple of other 80s hits like The enemy within or Jacobs Ladder or The Weapon. Big Big 80's fan favorites....

Good point, All three songs mentioned are great! I could have used Countdown, Turn The Page & Afterimage as well!