Alex Shredding

tas7

Just listened to Anthem for the first time in years and was really hit by the guitar solo.Bearing in mind this was 1975, is this the first shredding guitar solo ahead of the Van Halen,Satriani,Vai brigade?

I reckon it's faster and more fluid than Jimmy Page.

I totally agree.

Call me a dumb drummer who "hits things with sticks" but I honestly don't hear a huge similarity between Page and early Lifeson. That guitar solo in Anthem, I think, is one seriously cool and original solo. Consider too, that when Alex did that solo, he was 21.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but Page was probably one of the most influential guitarists of rock, ever. There are ranks in guitar playing and he was more than a master, he effin KNEW his guitar. Alex and Jimmy are definatly same caliber but you have to dive deeper into Jimmy's playing. It's phenomenal.

Now one guitarist that is on a pedistal who is not even good is Edge. Most overrated guitarist.

• Like 1

Jimmy Page is one of my favourite guitarists,the guitar work on The Song Remains the Same off Houses of the Holy is amazing.But back to Alex Lifeson,I think he is the bridge between the likes of Page,Clapton,Hendrix,Beck...etc and the shredders; Vai,Van Halen and Satriani.Alex's sound is instantly recognisable and he uses alot of atonal solos which influenced me emmensly.Other members of my band and our engineer would say that's not the solo we expected but it works.

Jimmy Page is one of my favourite guitarists,the guitar work on The Song Remains the Same off Houses of the Holy is amazing.But back to Alex Lifeson,I think he is the bridge between the likes of Page,Clapton,Hendrix,Beck...etc and the shredders; Vai,Van Halen and Satriani.Alex's sound is instantly recognisable and he uses alot of atonal solos which influenced me emmensly.Other members of my band and our engineer would say that's not the solo we expected but it works.

Of course he uses all his influences. But that why Geddy and Neil have a great amount of talent under their belt because they mix their greatest influences into their own....intoxicating sound.

Jimmy Page may very well be the most creative and innovative RHYTHM player there ever was, but his solos are often cringe worthy sloppy. When I play Zep tunes with the band, the hardest part is making the solos extra loose. Back, to Alex's solo on Anthem.........it's definitely not the 1st shred solo, but it is a very early example. I'm sure I could dig up a few from prior years by other bands. Some of the earlier 70s bands get really rockin'. Bands that never got the due they deserved.........someone like DUST. Some of those bands played quite fast and there are some "1971" shred solos out there.......I'll try to dig 1 or 2 up on the youtube.

Jimmy Page may very well be the most creative and innovative RHYTHM player there ever was, but his solos are often cringe worthy sloppy. When I play Zep tunes with the band, the hardest part is making the solos extra loose. Back, to Alex's solo on Anthem.........it's definitely not the 1st shred solo, but it is a very early example. I'm sure I could dig up a few from prior years by other bands. Some of the earlier 70s bands get really rockin'. Bands that never got the due they deserved.........someone like DUST. Some of those bands played quite fast and there are some "1971" shred solos out there.......I'll try to dig 1 or 2 up on the youtube.

Agree about Page,try the solo from Heartbreaker.You can end up playing it too perfectly but then similarily with Jimi Hendrix's solos.I'm also sure Steve Hillage was semi shredding when he was with Gong and on his solo stuff in the seventies.

I'm also sure Steve Hillage was semi shredding when he was with Gong and on his solo stuff in the seventies.

Maybe not with Gong, but listen to his soloing on 'Live Herald' from 77/78, especially the closing solo on Hurdy Gurdy man - that's some of the most fluid soloing you'll ever hear & although I hate the term 'shredding', Hillage can out-shred a lot of the usual suspects hands down

• Like 1

Only 'shredding' that Alex does that comes to mind is the solo in Working Man and Dreamline from Different Stages. I'm sure there may be some more examples, but that's what pops in my head right now.

I wouldn't say Working Man has any shredding.Here's some I think are shredding or semi shredding.

Anthem

By-Tor

Necromancer?

La Villa?

Natural Science

YYZ?

Analog Kid?

Digital Man?

Weird Al shreds harder

http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280139134_weird-al-shredding.jpg.gif

7th Edit: I guess I don't know how to f*ckin post images anymore.

Edited by Tarkus406