Neil has a heart of gold!

nhlrush

BTW, my advice to Neil for future touring....

Get off the bike, use a luxury PROVOST tour bus and bring Carrie and Olivia along, she's young enough not to be in school just yet and could come along on future tours during the summer months....

that way, he spends more time with his family and Olivia experiences new places and new experiences, seems like everyone would be happy...

After all these years of touring by motorcycle I often wonder if he's already biked on just about every back road the USA has to offer....just a thought, not gonna happen...

I agree! Why travel around the country on a dusty bike when you can travel with your family in this:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w387/losingit2k/luxuryRV1.jpg

• Like 2

Get off the bike, use a luxury PROVOST tour bus and bring Carrie and Olivia along, she's young enough not to be in school just yet and could come along on future tours during the summer months....

that way, he spends more time with his family and Olivia experiences new places and new experiences, seems like everyone would be happy...

After all these years of touring by motorcycle I often wonder if he's already biked on just about every back road the USA has to offer....just a thought, not gonna happen...

I agree! Why travel around the country on a dusty bike when you can travel with your family in this:

Nice one L2K...where you been you singing canary you?

OMG, this is too exciting, I won't be able to sleep tonight. That is the hat I knit!!! I knitted 2 other items as well, 2 scarves, and presumably (hopefully) Alex and Geddy have those. One is a Body Electric/binary scarf and the other has a steampunk/mad scientist theme. Am thrilled to get this public acknowledgement from Neil, he is too awesome for words.

How cool is that! :yes:

OMG, this is too exciting, I won't be able to sleep tonight. That is the hat I knit!!! I knitted 2 other items as well, 2 scarves, and presumably (hopefully) Alex and Geddy have those. One is a Body Electric/binary scarf and the other has a steampunk/mad scientist theme. Am thrilled to get this public acknowledgement from Neil, he is too awesome for words.

Get oooooout. That's too awesome.

Quick, somebody tell Neil Young, I think he's still looking for one..

:syrinx:

• Like 2

That is just... wow.... I am so thrilled for you!

Get that picture framed!

• Like 1

Nice one L2K...where you been you singing canary you?

This is what I am talking about....tell me its hard to travel the country with a professional driver and you and the family....doing whatever strikes your fancy....

btw, carrie and olivia don't have to do the entire tour but could come and go as they please....my basic point was that Neil doesn't have to go weeks on end without seeing his family if he doesn't want to....

I just think that after like 10 years of touring by motorcycle, I just don't see how Neil finds it so attractive to find run down hotels, average meals and a lot of roads that go nowhere, but that's just me....I'll take the luxury coach...

• Like 1

I am not sure why this particular situation has me so excited, but given all that we know about Neil not wanting to directly interact with the fans, I find this case very refreshing and it just leaves me with a really nice feeling inside....

Skin Bag, it was a really nice gesture to knit those items in the first place, you must feel great that it wasn't simply tossed into the trash as I am sure other items sent to the band have been...

So, not only does he receive the ski hat, he wears it, and to just keep adding to the story, he writes about it, takes a picture of it, posts it all on his News, Weather & Sports story and then adds the great caption as well....

It's really hard to top that without having your own private dinner with Neil at the lodge....and who knows how that would go...lol....

• Like 1

Because I share much of Neil's personality (though not his more recent views) I completely understand where he is coming from. And although I don't share this with many fans, I can see why people want to connect with him personally.

But he really owes us nothing, not even being one of the greatest drummers and lyricists in the world, and a member of the greatest band. Though in return, we owe him nothing.

If you're sharing Neil's personality, then you are getting WAY to close to Neil!! Shouldn't Mr. Peart have the right to his own personality?

I am not sure why this particular situation has me so excited, but given all that we know about Neil not wanting to directly interact with the fans, I find this case very refreshing and it just leaves me with a really nice feeling inside....

Skin Bag, it was a really nice gesture to knit those items in the first place, you must feel great that it wasn't simply tossed into the trash as I am sure other items sent to the band have been...

So, not only does he receive the ski hat, he wears it, and to just keep adding to the story, he writes about it, takes a picture of it, posts it all on his News, Weather & Sports story and then adds the great caption as well....

It's really hard to top that without having your own private dinner with Neil at the lodge....and who knows how that would go...lol....

In my excitement last night I forgot to thank you nhlrush for starting this thread as this is where I found out about it. I always read Neil's blogs but it probably would have been another 2 or 3 weeks before I got around to this latest one.

Thanks to all who have commented; it's nice to share the joy.

• Like 2

In my excitement last night I forgot to thank you nhlrush for starting this thread as this is where I found out about it. I always read Neil's blogs but it probably would have been another 2 or 3 weeks before I got around to this latest one.

Hey nice job! Speaking for all frost-bitten Canadian dudes, I can say that we all love warm headgear in the mid-winter deep freeze.

Now, how about knitting me some wool socks for next year ???? :D

Hey nice job! Speaking for all frost-bitten Canadian dudes, I can say that we all love warm headgear in the mid-winter deep freeze.

Now, how about knitting me some wool socks for next year ???? :D

Hey Canadian dude, whaddya think I am, a Sockwork Angel or sum thin? :angel: Oooh, baaaad pun, sorry :baabaa: :D

• Like 1

nothing is more amusing then fans that dont get why neil does what he does, because THEY know how everyone should simply be. They are amazing people I figure

That is wonderful! What a great show of love for and from his fans. And, great taste in winter head gear, too!. :ebert:

Congratulations, Skin Bag! :)

nothing is more amusing then fans that dont get why neil does what he does, because THEY know how everyone should simply be. They are amazing people I figure

AMEN, brother. I love all these posters who think it would be cool to ride down the interstate in a motorcoach all day and night. That would get old after the first week, and anyone who has travelled much can attest to that fact. I drive a truck, and have been all over the US and Canada, BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING. Actually, I've been cursed, to a certain extent, because I have been within 25-100 miles of a great percentage of the national parks and I've only been to one of them(here in home state).

THAT is why Neil takes the motorcycle...TO BE OUT THERE IN IT, not just LOOKING at it.

That is why I hate my job-it is like being in jail-I can see everything, but I rarely get to experience it.

I bet every penny that I have that if you met Neil on the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Coast Trail or in a National Park in Utah, etc., that he'd talk to you for 15 or 20 minutes or longer about anything that you wanted to talk about, even if you knew who he was and you told him you were a fan. He just doesn't like being bombarded by the crazies, and, honestly, you wouldn't either, if you were famous. You'd go from a person who wants nothing but fame to someone who just wants a few moments to himself, free from being mobbed by strangers.

• Like 2

A lot has been written and talked about regarding Neil's relationship with fans. I cannot imagine what it's like to be really famous and here's why... and maybe this will give some people a little better understanding of the whole thing.

For about 8 years, I hosted a fishing / hunting show that was seen across North America and in parts of Europe. I repeat - fishing / hunting show. It's not like I was starring in Hollywod films with Brad Pitt and Diane Lane. (Although, I wouldn't mind nailing that Diane Lane!) An outdoors sporting show is pretty damn close to the bottom of the TV food chain, if not right on it. (A tad above info-mmercials?) Fishing and hunting shows are a dime a dozen. Just one reason why I don't bother with it anymore.

Still, I had strangers coming to my HOUSE wanting this or that... and people would show up drunk on occassion... some moms and dads would show up with their kids at random days or times... even once on on a Sunday morning at 9 am... Or someone would come up to me in a grocery store. Most times they'd be very nice, but sometimes, they'd start giving me shit because of the way I handled a fish on the air once (everyone is an expert!) or people would start giving me shit because "killing helpless animals is cruel," or some kinda stupid shit like that. I got a death threat from California once by email if I "didn't stop killing defenseless animals."

And, a bunch of times, (like Neil and his tour bus) I did have people following me around while I was driving in my truck. Then, when I stopped, there they were. (My truck was all "stickered up" so it was hard to be inconspicous. Never again, will I drive a vehicle that says, "Hey everyone, look at me!")

So, if I went through this (especially people knocking on my door at any hour of the day) with a Mickey Mouse fishing show, just try to imagine why Neil feels the way he does. What I went through would be about .00001 % of what a really famous peoson would. Imagine being Britney Spears, Gaga or Beiber? You couldn't take a crap in a public washroom without the fear of being video taped.

This lack of privacy is the main reason (there were others) why I sold my house two years ago (and I lived in the country then) and built a new one... 40 miles from the city, miles back in the bush, off the grid. Amazingly, twice now, strangers who used to watch my show have showed up HERE, in the middle of frickin nowehere. Unbelievable.

I would like to tell them to F off, but then they go on the internet and tell the whole world that you're an asshole.

I couldn't imagine being Neil.

• Like 2

A lot has been written and talked about regarding Neil's relationship with fans. I cannot imagine what it's like to be really famous and here's why... and maybe this will give some people a little better understanding of the whole thing.

For about 8 years, I hosted a fishing / hunting show that was seen across North America and in parts of Europe. I repeat - fishing / hunting show. It's not like I was starring in Hollywod films with Brad Pitt and Diane Lane. (Although, I wouldn't mind nailing that Diane Lane!) An outdoors sporting show is pretty damn close to the bottom of the TV food chain, if not right on it. (A tad above info-mmercials?) Fishing and hunting shows are a dime a dozen. Just one reason why I don't bother with it anymore.

Still, I had strangers coming to my HOUSE wanting this or that... and people would show up drunk on occassion... some moms and dads would show up with their kids at random days or times... even once on on a Sunday morning at 9 am... Or someone would come up to me in a grocery store. Most times they'd be very nice, but sometimes, they'd start giving me shit because of the way I handled a fish on the air once (everyone is an expert!) or people would start giving me shit because "killing helpless animals is cruel," or some kinda stupid shit like that. I got a death threat from California once by email if I "didn't stop killing defenseless animals."

And, a bunch of times, (like Neil and his tour bus) I did have people following me around while I was driving in my truck. Then, when I stopped, there they were. (My truck was all "stickered up" so it was hard to be inconspicous. Never again, will I drive a vehicle that says, "Hey everyone, look at me!")

So, if I went through this (especially people knocking on my door at any hour of the day) with a Mickey Mouse fishing show, just try to imagine why Neil feels the way he does. What I went through would be about .00001 % of what a really famous peoson would. Imagine being Britney Spears, Gaga or Beiber? You couldn't take a crap in a public washroom without the fear of being video taped.

This lack of privacy is the main reason (there were others) why I sold my house two years ago (and I lived in the country then) and built a new one... 40 miles from the city, miles back in the bush, off the grid. Amazingly, twice now, strangers who used to watch my show have showed up HERE, in the middle of frickin nowehere. Unbelievable.

I would like to tell them to F off, but then they go on the internet and tell the whole world that you're an asshole.

I couldn't imagine being Neil.

:goodone:

AMEN, brother. I love all these posters who think it would be cool to ride down the interstate in a motorcoach all day and night. That would get old after the first week, and anyone who has travelled much can attest to that fact. I drive a truck, and have been all over the US and Canada, BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING. Actually, I've been cursed, to a certain extent, because I have been within 25-100 miles of a great percentage of the national parks and I've only been to one of them(here in home state).

THAT is why Neil takes the motorcycle...TO BE OUT THERE IN IT, not just LOOKING at it.

That is why I hate my job-it is like being in jail-I can see everything, but I rarely get to experience it.

I bet every penny that I have that if you met Neil on the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Coast Trail or in a National Park in Utah, etc., that he'd talk to you for 15 or 20 minutes or longer about anything that you wanted to talk about, even if you knew who he was and you told him you were a fan. He just doesn't like being bombarded by the crazies, and, honestly, you wouldn't either, if you were famous. You'd go from a person who wants nothing but fame to someone who just wants a few moments to himself, free from being mobbed by strangers.

I started this thread because its a wonderful story, so the fact that I mentioned Neil's method of touring is my fault...but I only mentioned it because Neil writes of the fact that he misses spending time with his daughter when he is traveling on the road...I also said that Neil doing an about face and changing the way he tours was not going to happen....and it won't....

I am sure he will tour by motorcycle for as long as he chooses to and its his life....I merely pointed out that there are other options if that's what he chooses...

as far as you hating your job. I am sorry to hear that....but....life is what we make of it....when we get up everyday, some people whistle a happy tune, some are planning to commit horrific acts of violence and mayhem, its freewill at its finest....

If you really hate your job that much, there are others things you can do with your life...I am not trying to preach or tell anyone what to do, just saying life is full of choices that we make everyday...some of those choices are not easy and have consequences....

Sometimes I feel like I work in a sausage factory (forgive the rush pun) but then I think about the fact that given the alternative, I make a decent enough living to support the family and pay the bills and see a whole bunch of rush shows, so it gives me a sense of perspective that maybe its not so bad after all...

you might respond by saying that driving a truck is all you know and you make a good living at it, but I understand it has some drawbacks....so maybe for one vacation you go to some of those places that you only get to drive past when you are working...

I just want to share with you the story of Milton Hershey....yes, that Hershey....

Raised in rural central Pennsylvania, hampered by the lack of a formal education and nearly bankrupt by the time he was 30, Milton S. Hershey went on to become not only one of America’s wealthiest individuals, but also a successful entrepreneur whose products are known around the world, a visionary builder of the town that bears his name and a philanthropist whose open-hearted generosity continues to touch the lives of thousands. Following a four-year apprenticeship as a teenager to a person in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, candy maker, Hershey in 1876 attempted to start his own candy business in Philadelphia. Despite 6 years of hard work, it failed. So he moved to Denver, Colorado and found work with a confectioner who taught him how to make caramel using fresh milk. Then He started up a second candy business in New York City, which was also unsuccessful.

Returning to Lancaster in 1887, Hershey established the Lancaster Caramel Company, which quickly became an outstanding success. Utilizing a caramel recipe he had obtained during his previous travels, his company soared to the top. It was this business that established him as a candy maker, and set the stage for future accomplishments.

Hershey became fascinated with the machinery to make German chocolate exhibited at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition by J. M. Lehmann Co. of Dresden, Germany,[4] and bought the equipment for his company.

With the proceeds from the 1900 sale of the Lancaster Caramel Company, Hershey initially acquired farm land about 30 miles northwest of Lancaster, near his birthplace of Derry Church. There, he could obtain the large supplies of fresh milk needed to perfect and produce fine milk chocolate. Excited by the potential of milk chocolate, which at that time was a luxury product, Hershey was determined to develop a formula for milk chocolate and market and sell it to the American public. Through trial and error, he created his own formula for milk chocolate. The first Hershey's Bar was enjoyed in 1900. Hershey's Kisses were developed in 1907, and the Hershey's Bar with almonds was introduced in 1908.

On March 2, 1903, he began construction on what was to become the world’s largest chocolate manufacturing company. The facility, completed in 1905, was designed to manufacture chocolate using the latest mass production techniques. Hershey’s milk chocolate quickly became the first nationally marketed product of its kind.

The factory was in the center of a dairy farmland, but with Hershey’s support, houses, businesses, churches, and a transportation infrastructure accreted around the plant. Because the land was surrounded by dairy farms, he was able to use fresh milk to mass-produce quality milk chocolate. Hershey continued to experiment and perfect the process of making milk chocolate using the techniques he had first learned for adding milk to make caramels when he had moved to Colorado.

When we went to the Hershey factory tour, they said that he made $1 million dollars in 1900 with the sale of his caramel business....that was a ton of money back then....he could have just sat back and had enough money to last a lifetime....instead he took a chance, used all the money to create the Hershey we know today....that takes courage and some tough choices, that's all I am saying...

Most of us are content just earning a living, I am.....some are destined for more....either way, you should try and make your life as happy as possible....

When I hit the Giant Center in Hershey, Pa on June 21, I will be very happy....If I can get a ticket in the first few rows in front of Alex, I will be even happier....

Edited by nhlrush