Porcupine Tree - help me like them!

Rod in Toronto

Fellow TRFers, I have great news to report: I decided to bring Deadwing to work today, and I guess taste changes with age more than I thought - I´m really digging it! Shallow and Lazarus are my favourite so far. I haven´t had a chance to listen to the longer tracks yet, but I´ll try Deadwing and "Arriving Somewhere..." in the afternoon. I guess this proves that some bands/albums take more than one or two listens to be fully understood, right?

Especially PT.

Fellow TRFers, I have great news to report: I decided to bring Deadwing to work today, and I guess taste changes with age more than I thought - I´m really digging it! Shallow and Lazarus are my favourite so far. I haven´t had a chance to listen to the longer tracks yet, but I´ll try Deadwing and "Arriving Somewhere..." in the afternoon. I guess this proves that some bands/albums take more than one or two listens to be fully understood, right?

Sometimes, sure! I had In Absentia at home for over a YEAR (listened a couple times....meh!) before I dug it out, listened, and loved it. It happens.

Arriving Somewhere is my all time favorite PT song.

Headphones and having the lyrics in front of you is the best way to see if you are gonna like something

I always though that too, but it seems that there´s less and less oportunities to do that nowadays. Plus, there´s too much music on offer and accessible at just one click. Believe it or not, I think that easier access to music is sort of killing it - we hardly spend time waiting for songs to grow on us anymore like we used to!

Indeed. I know people who have 10,000 + songs, many/mostly from downloading...and they've not listened to a third of them and when they do, if they're not instantly floored they're bored.

Fewer and fewer people are taking their time with music like they used to when they had to save up to buy an album...and gave that record a chance. We're a slightly older than not group here, so I'm guessing that doesn't apply to most of us here.

• Like 1

My introduction to them years back was Time Flies. Still, I think, a bad song by them. That put me off outright for a while. Didn't like SW's voice much either. In 2011, I really liked Grace for Drowning, and at that time I got into the Deadwing and Up the Downstair albums exclusively. Late 2012 I decided to expand to other albums, and now I like pretty much every album by them, varying degrees.

Just occured to me.. only a rush fan would say,"help me like this band" lol

You know the feeling, right? Of knowing you'll eventually regret not having heard a band for such a ling time when you finally realize they're great? Come to think of it, the same happened with me and Rush...it took me several years to like them.

Indeed. I know people who have 10,000 + songs, many/mostly from downloading...and they've not listened to a third of them and when they do, if they're not instantly floored they're bored.

Fewer and fewer people are taking their time with music like they used to when they had to save up to buy an album...and gave that record a chance.

I see this crap all of the time. I know this guy who will seriously listen to the first 30 or so seconds of a song and then switch it once the first chorus is over. Music is art, but the suits have turned it into a disposable commodity. Slap together a combination of commercially safe lyrics, 120 bpm 4/4 bass-snare beats, and a major key chord progression. Play it constantly for a month on the radio. Rinse, repeat. Music is downloaded for free at an alarming rate, so the only way to make money is over-expose stuff so that everybody hears it and at least some of those people actually buy the single.

All they want are showers, nobody has time for growers.

I can't imagine one of those types hearing Anesthetize. I wanted to turn it off the first time I listened to it, but I stuck with it. I gave it a few listens to get comfortable with the song, and by the 3rd time, I was hooked. I could see someone trying to make it through the first movement, giving up within a minute and switching to The Black Eyed Peas.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

You know the feeling, right? Of knowing you'll eventually regret not having heard a band for such a ling time when you finally realize they're great? Come to think of it, the same happened with me and Rush...it took me several years to like them.

That's kinda what I was getting at. Best line I ever heard was from a girl I dated once.. She seemed impressed when I said I'm a rush fan, so I said, "oh, you like Rush too?"

She says,"no but I like the fact that you like them because it means you know a lot about music"..

I couldn't help but be impressed!!