Are the hopes for an R40 tour doomed?

nhlrush

It has to happen sometime, and the touring will have to end. Still not convinced they will decide this ahead of time. According to Roger Daltry, long breaks from singing hurts his ability to sing, which is why he tours so much, and sings when he's not touring (esp after surgery), otherwise he claims if he took a lot of time off, he would never be able to sing again period.

I can see them being realistic and announcing it, and going out in one last blaze of glory. Maybe an EP of a couple of new things, but a tour chock full of old stuff - go out in style.

One thing is for sure - if it is announced, getting seats will be even HARDER.

And hopefully another live DVD where they record 3-4 nights from the beginning of the tour. The more footage to choose from, the better. And Ged's voice seems to always be better earlier on the tour than later.

Loved reading this thread from top to bottom.

Personally, I'd be surprised if they toured next year. I really think they need/want a break. That said, even they do tour next year, I don't thinkg it'd be under the "brand" of R40. They just strike me as the kind of guys that would look at that as a regrettion/reguritation of an idea (R30) that they've already done. As a band that seems to constantly move forward, I just can't see R40 in the cards..

Personally, I'd be surprised if they toured next year. I really think they need/want a break. That said, even they do tour next year, I don't thinkg it'd be under the "brand" of R40. They just strike me as the kind of guys that would look at that as a regrettion/reguritation of an idea (R30) that they've already done. As a band that seems to constantly move forward, I just can't see R40 in the cards..

I think what makes this thread so compelling is that you could debate it from either side....

Is an R40 tour a regrettion/reguritation of an idea (R30) that they've already done......or.......because its R40 and not R30, is that considered somehow something new and fresh....

If its up to Geddy, I think all touring would end on August 4, 2013 in Kansas City.....that would be their final show....and you never know.....nothing in life is ever for certain....

but I still think that if they start an R40 tour in September 2014, that's a full year off from the grind of the road, even if they start preparing for the tour earlier....

then one more studio album and an extensive tour to support it, and then they hang up their skates for the final time....

Remember when Wayne Gretzky played his final game in the nhl? He sat at his locker with his full uniform on and his skates on for like hours before he removed his skates for the final time....okay, it won't go down like this for Rush, but whenever legends stop doing whatever made them legendary, it's sad...

I keep saying....go to as many shows this summer as you possibly can...if you live in southern california or arizona, vegas, etc....go travel and see them while you can, worry about finances later....

Edited by nhlrush
  • Like 1

You know it's interesting. I always thought that it would be Neil that would be the one leading them off the road. And maybe when the time comes, that'll still be the case. All I know is, right now, it really seems like Ged is ready for a break.

I'm going by nothing other than gut feeling at this point, but personally, it just sort of strikes me that a year off isn't going to be enough of a break for the 3 of them - especially Ged. As I see it, if they were to go out on tour in the fall of 2014, it's really not a year off (when you take into account planning, rehearsing etc). It'd be more like 6-7 months off, and I just don't see that as enough of a break for the guys.

I could easily see them taking time off from it all, and until maybe xmas of 2014, at which point I'd imagine the 3 of them would entertain discussions about what they should do next.

I think what makes this thread so compelling is that you could debate it from either side....

Is an R40 tour a regrettion/reguritation of an idea (R30) that they've already done......or.......because its R40 and not R30, is that considered somehow something new and fresh....

If its up to Geddy, I think all touring would end on August 4, 2013 in Kansas City.....that would be their final show....and you never know.....nothing in life is ever for certain....

but I still think that if they start an R40 tour in September 2014, that's a full year off from the grind of the road, even if they start preparing for the tour earlier....

then one more studio album and an extensive tour to support it, and then they hang up their skates for the final time....

Remember when Wayne Gretzky played his final game in the nhl? He sat at his locker with his full uniform on and his skates on for like hours before he removed his skates for the final time....okay, it won't go down like this for Rush, but whenever legends stop doing whatever made them legendary, it's sad...

I keep saying....go to as many shows this summer as you possibly can...if you live in southern california or arizona, vegas, etc....go travel and see them while you can, worry about finances later....

Loved your post here. Although I would have to say that when it comes to finances, family needs come well before 3 dudes playing instruments. After 31 years of Rush shows, I can skip their last one if other things are more pressing.

You know it's interesting. I always thought that it would be Neil that would be the one leading them off the road. And maybe when the time comes, that'll still be the case. All I know is, right now, it really seems like Ged is ready for a break.

I'm going by nothing other than gut feeling at this point, but personally, it just sort of strikes me that a year off isn't going to be enough of a break for the 3 of them - especially Ged. As I see it, if they were to go out on tour in the fall of 2014, it's really not a year off (when you take into account planning, rehearsing etc). It'd be more like 6-7 months off, and I just don't see that as enough of a break for the guys.

I could easily see them taking time off from it all, and until maybe xmas of 2014, at which point I'd imagine the 3 of them would entertain discussions about what they should do next.

I've said it before and still strongly believe that it WILL be Neil who finally calls it quits. I don't really think that Geddy is in as bad of shape (vocally) as people think and he loves the road, as does Alex. The last couple of tours, they've been having a ball. They'll take some time off, but I don't think it will take too long for them to miss the view from the stage and wanna get back out there.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/74353_3990597257377_2132671807_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150673_3990602537509_1892000525_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/582390_3990603097523_499764211_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/66117_3613040658698_2056767709_n.jpg

• Like 3

Several random thoughts from many years of reading interviews and watching RIAB.

1) Neil's motorcycling is a concern, not because of his lack of riding ability, but because there are things that make riding dangerous that are out of his control. Like Deer. He has commented before about close encounters with deer. Another Neil concern is that , given his prior family tragiedies, i would think if his wife or daughter got so much as a hangnail, he might pack it in. He is NOT risking anything happening in family # 2.

2) They are all set for life monetarily. no question. This should not even be a debate.

3) Rush minimizes playing the 70's stuff , almost to nil, to preserve Geddy. Dont expect much, if any 70s stuff anymore. For those of you angling for complete 2112, they did it on the Test for Echo Tour, if you didnt go, you missed it. They did it already

4) I dont think they will market a tour as a "farewell" tour, but i do think they highly respect their fan base enough that they would communicate that it is a last tour, to let people have a chance to see them for one final time. Its a mutual respect thing

5) Since they already did an R30 tour and a "whole album" tour, i dont think they need to do those concepts anymore. they can find a new way to market a tour without it being R40.

6) I dont think they will tour in 2014 at all. They will take more than 1 year off. Then do studio time before a tour again. They dont want to tour just to tour. They want to make new music, pave new ground, then maybe tour that new music. I dont think "R40" will mean anything to them. They dont need marketing wizardry anyways. They are the hottest rock ticket out there, the last 5 years, just doing album tours. Ask anyone in the touring industry or at billboard and they will say how hot Rush is, even without any gimmicks.

7) I think that the band "gets" that they cant do this forever, and that they want to "strike while the iron of their popularity is hot". But that isnt going to be lost in a year. They didnt tour in 2009 and lost no steam. I believe they will take 2014 off from touring, maybe do some recording later in the year possibly.

I would guess they do one more studio album, and tour in 2015-2016 over two summers and then thats it. hang it up. And we WILL know its the end, and we will have plenty of opps to see them over that time. That is consistent with their MO of the last 10 years.

I've said it before and still strongly believe that it WILL be Neil who finally calls it quits. I don't really think that Geddy is in as bad of shape (vocally) as people think and he loves the road, as does Alex. The last couple of tours, they've been having a ball. They'll take some time off, but I don't think it will take too long for them to miss the view from the stage and wanna get back out there.

I have to disagree with you....have you seen the interviews that Geddy has done in the past few months....

He stays in bed all day on off days to "recover" from a show and does not talk at all on off days...I don't think he loves the road...He has said how much he misses his family and unlike Neil who is out with nature and motorcycles and Alex who is swinging golf clubs, lying in bed and nursing a 60 year old singing voice that has seen lots and lots of mileage doesn't sound fun....

• Like 1

I say we enjoy this tour to the fullest and rock out hard each show! Obviously it's not a question of having enough; it's a question of lifestyle and sustainability. Good for them; I say live it up! Most have no concept how expensive it is to even maintain a nice home, to travel, to educate one's family, to have a full life... To speculate about one's financial health is, quite frankly, painfully tacky. Not sure Clockwork Angels can be topped thematically or musically—where can they possibly go from here? I know "epic" has become woefully overused, but this album truly is epic. They're elder statesmen playing their hearts out every show. Regarding a farewell tour: again, it's way too much of a jewel to pass up. It could be done wonderfully, and even tied into AFTK, even though the "Kings" would never be allowed by the humble band. Cheers!

I have to disagree with you....have you seen the interviews that Geddy has done in the past few months....

He stays in bed all day on off days to "recover" from a show and does not talk at all on off days...I don't think he loves the road...He has said how much he misses his family and unlike Neil who is out with nature and motorcycles and Alex who is swinging golf clubs, lying in bed and nursing a 60 year old singing voice that has seen lots and lots of mileage doesn't sound fun....

Answer me this: Has FOH been wrong yet?

That's fair enough. I can only go by what I've seen out there and frankly, I've never seen him on a day off. Otherwise, he seems happy & jovial, usually wearing his thick scarf, and that little Geddy smile. As for the family, I think he does try to get back home as much as possible and that's understandable. If they're playing within a few hours flight of Toronto, sometimes after the show they'll be on the plane home before you get out of the parking lot.

I honestly don't really watch/read many interviews they do and this is the only Rush board I peruze. But my personal observation (for what it's worth) in recent years, is that everyone seems to be enjoying the road more as time goes on. Then I think about what a tight nit "family" they've all become and wonder if it's possible that they're sensing the inevitable and are just trying to live it to the fullest. I mean, no one talks about "the end", but of course, it's a lot closer now than it ever was. IDK, maybe I'm wrong so, feel free to draw your own conclusions. :)

• Like 1

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/74353_3990597257377_2132671807_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150673_3990602537509_1892000525_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/582390_3990603097523_499764211_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/66117_3613040658698_2056767709_n.jpg

So there's hope for R40! Right?

:codger:

• Like 1

I don't think Neil will call it quits anytime soon! I'm sure his wife keeps telling him "Neil, get back out on the road, your daughter needs shoes!"

"And a new dress, Barbie Doll house, piano lessons, a college fund, and a Spotted pony!

:whipgirl:

• Like 2

My thought is that Alex, Geddy, and Neil are too good of people to leave their loyal fans hanging on their 40th birthday. I could NEVER EVER EVER imagine the good people and musicians they are to just throw their fans out of this and forget about it. There will be an R40 tour.

So, lemme get this straight... if they don't tour and perform according to your wants and needs, then they are not good people?

Interesting way to look at being a 'fan'.

• Like 2

If they don't do an R40 tour...They're the worst band on the planet. They don't deserve their fans because they don't do ANYTHING for them. Sacrifice their time by playing for us (even though their almost to the young age of 60), tour for 36 years worth of their career, play their asses off for over 20 albums, donating, thanking US as fans that we helped them to put them in the R&R HoF...Yeah, they're terrible people to their fans.

:wtf:

• Like 1

I am not as expert as most of you, but I did read that Neil said he only has another couple of good years left.

Most of you here are much younger than I am. I am a year younger than Geddy. When you get to that age, you will realize how much things you were once able to do without even thinking about it take their toll on you. Physically, no matter how healthy you eat or how much exercise you do, you just have to face the fact that you are no longer as young as you used to be.

Neil is going to lose strength in his arms whether he wants to or not. It just happens and there is nothing he can do about it.

Another thing to consider, and I know you all love them as much if not a lot more than I ido: anything can happen to them on stage after a certain age. They have to be careful. Heart attacks happen to men younger than they are.

Let them pace themselves. They know what they are all about at this stage of the game. If you want them around for years to come, let them do what they can and don't push them to do more. Even if they wanted to do more, they are realistic enough to realize that they can't.

• Like 1

That's an interesting post, offered from an interesting perspective, given that you're in their age range. I think they all realize they aren't as young as they used to be, and as Geddy said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, his off days are spent recovering, and not even speaking. Neil is physically incredible, but it's a pace that isn't realistically sustainable over the long haul.

As per Ged's interview, it looks like the band is taking at least a year off after this tour, so I find it hard to think that there's an R40 in their plans.

You know who worries me the most out of all of them? Alex. He should keep his weight down. That's a lot of stress, being up there and playing for three hours. Couple that with being overweight - and that puts a lot on the heart. I know he is an avid tennis player (even that worries me with his weight). But he really needs to lose some weight.

I do worry about them. :eyeroll:

• Like 1

Not that I really want to get into Alex's weight, but I thought he looked pretty trim for the fall leg of this tour....

I think that we have all gotten very spoiled recently with their constant touring and three hour shows...(okay, 2:25 of actual music..or whatever it is)

and in a way they have kind of set themselves up for some kind of rude awakening at some point....

they have no opening band, they play two very long sets and fans have become accustomed to the "evening with rush" type of format...

I would never want them to go back to some kind of opening act....but if you said to me, its an opening act and they continue or they stop entirely, well, i suppose i would pick having an opening act but at this point seeing a rush show that was only an hour and a half would be hard to adjust to, especially with the depth of their catalog...

there's no way they could have played so much clockwork angels material if they had a scaled back show....

I am still hoping for two more long extended tours in the current format....if its R40, great...if its something else, well, that's great too....

i would like to see an R40 for 2014-15, a break, another album in 2017....and one last major kick ass tour for 2017-18 and then they can call it a day....

I really don't think they are going to be a band that does limited engagements for 5 nights in a couple of selected cities....

I'm thinking they either embark on major tours and go all in, or they just stop touring...i think its too much for all of them to get into the kind of playing shape needed to just do limited touring...

• Like 1

You know who worries me the most out of all of them? Alex. He should keep his weight down. That's a lot of stress, being up there and playing for three hours. Couple that with being overweight - and that puts a lot on the heart. I know he is an avid tennis player (even that worries me with his weight). But he really needs to lose some weight.

I do worry about them. :eyeroll:

I worry more about Neil, given that he's a smoker, and rides his motorcycle everywhere. It's like he's playing with fire.

I worry more about Neil, given that he's a smoker, and rides his motorcycle everywhere. It's like he's playing with fire.

I agree. Neil and the Motorcycling is the biggest concern. Second biggest would be an unforeseen accident or diagnosis of a family member.

Not that I really want to get into Alex's weight, but I thought he looked pretty trim for the fall leg of this tour....

I think that we have all gotten very spoiled recently with their constant touring and three hour shows...(okay, 2:25 of actual music..or whatever it is)

and in a way they have kind of set themselves up for some kind of rude awakening at some point....

they have no opening band, they play two very long sets and fans have become accustomed to the "evening with rush" type of format...

I would never want them to go back to some kind of opening act....but if you said to me, its an opening act and they continue or they stop entirely, well, i suppose i would pick having an opening act but at this point seeing a rush show that was only an hour and a half would be hard to adjust to, especially with the depth of their catalog...

there's no way they could have played so much clockwork angels material if they had a scaled back show....

I am still hoping for two more long extended tours in the current format....if its R40, great...if its something else, well, that's great too....

i would like to see an R40 for 2014-15, a break, another album in 2017....and one last major kick ass tour for 2017-18 and then they can call it a day....

I really don't think they are going to be a band that does limited engagements for 5 nights in a couple of selected cities....

I'm thinking they either embark on major tours and go all in, or they just stop touring...i think its too much for all of them to get into the kind of playing shape needed to just do limited touring...

Its true we have become accustomed to "An evening with Rush" Format, and thats what most of us Prefer. However given the choice between an Opening Act and no touring I think everyone would pick the an Opening Act Hear are some I would prefer:

Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Zebra, Triumph, Saga, Queensryche, Symphony X and Steve Hackett's Band.

:codger: