Thumb Pickers, Hybrid Pickers, and Finger Stylists

Maverick

I'm watching part 2 and I'm confused... @ 2:45-ish - Stairway to Heaven? :eh:

I'm not hearing it. Does someone hear it and can point it out to me? I can't. Which part of Stairway? :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qpl1702fM

Good video. I think he's right and I really like his attitude. Music for the masses! :haz:

Maybe, I'll buy (me) a banjo. But the strings are so small, they hurt my bass player fingers. I have a classical guitar (the only guitar I can sort of kind of play), but after hearing Segovia :notworthy: ...I may as well put it up. But it is fun to play chords and songs on. Although after listening to Knopfler (I wanna play a C!) and, after listening to "the gospel", it is inspiring to just keep picking away. :)

:cheers:

• Like 1

I'm watching part 2 and I'm confused... @ 2:45-ish - Stairway to Heaven? :eh:

I'm not hearing it. Does someone hear it and can point it out to me? I can't. Which part of Stairway? :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qpl1702fM

Good video. I think he's right and I really like his attitude. Music for the masses! :haz:

Maybe, I'll buy (me) a banjo. But the strings are so small, they hurt my bass player fingers. I have a classical guitar (the only guitar I can sort of kind of play), but after hearing Segovia :notworthy: ...I may as well put it up. But it is fun to play chords and songs on. Although after listening to Knopfler (I wanna play a C!) and, after listening to "the gospel", it is inspiring to just keep picking away. :)

:cheers:

The Knopfler clip...his point about just putting in the hours. That's what I've never been able to do. But it wouldn't be that tough to always have the thing (guitar, banjo, sticks) in your hands when you're watching tv, listening to music, etc. Just create the habit, get the reps in to make it automatic and thoughtless.
  • Like 1

This last song here always puts me in a good mood :)

Don't Wanna See Your Face

John Butler is truly one of my favorite guitarists because of his style and I've even gone as far as using acrylic nails just to play their songs. Enjoy :)

• Like 1

Another one of my favorite players, Ben Howard, has some good songs where he slaps his guitar, a technique that's taken me months to get down and is very hard for me to master :)

My favorite song of his, These Waters

Interesting choices, default. I hadn't heard those artists before and it is interesting to hear what teenagers are listening to. Ben's like a one man band. Kind of like a Bobby McFerrin of guitar. And JBT is catchy.

Thanks. :)

• Like 2

my boys favorite episode besides Alice Cooper's fantastic contribution to muppetdom.

I've got several Roy Clark CDs...Superpicker is my fav. Production is quite shoddy in terms of tracking, yet is the best of his offings. Chet Atkins on the other hand produced all his albums in his home studio...no comparison. Atkins was in another galaxy. Check out his jams with Eric Johnson...it was clear EJ was playing checkers, while Chet was playing chess...that's how amazing Atkins was

• Like 2

my boys favorite episode besides Alice Cooper's fantastic contribution to muppetdom. Rocky Top TN—right next to Goat Nut. Check out the lyrics to that song...almost had to sing it at my wedding.

I've got several Roy Clark CDs...Superpicker is my fav. Production is quite shoddy in terms of tracking, yet is the best of his offings. Chet Atkins on the other hand produced all his albums in his home studio...no comparison. Atkins was in another galaxy. Check out his jams with Eric Johnson...it was clear EJ was playing checkers, while Chet was playing chess...that's how amazing Atkins was

• Like 1

For some reason, CygnusGal, it's not letting me quote your post, which is weird, but I'm glad you enjoyed those artists. I don't care for what's popular today among people my age.

JBT will be hitting some US dates according to their Facebook page, so if they play up East, I'd jump on tickets if you can! Ben Howard is touring with Mumford and Sons for a few dates up East as well.

Here's an amazing cover of LMFAO's

Sexy And I Know It

Starts about thirty seconds in :)

Edited by default236

If it counts, here's an acoustic rendition of Wilco's Walken by frontman, Jeff Tweedy. This man has to be one of my favorite acoustic players, not so much because of his skill, but by his passion and song composition.

Another good tune played by Jeff Tweedy

Please Be Patient With Me

Not sure if these count as "finger played songs" but I feel they are and I like them, so, enjoy! :)

When I first saw the title of this thread, this is the song that first came to mind, not to be stereotypical here :LOL:

After that song, it was this amazing track by Tommy Emmanuel

Edited by default236
  • Like 2

An unlikely entry for some here, perhaps. Mayer does this thing where he slaps the bass string with his thumb, and uses that as a background for the chords and melodies he plays on the higher strings. It's not Travis Picking, and it's not really Claw and Hammer. But it sounds damned good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfvt0UBveY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39nb8vHQWIQ

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

^^^ Great performance. The only problem is that he flat picks the entire piece. ;)

:LOL: My bad! He does other pieces without a pick, this is just the first one that came to mind. ;)

You can edit your post.

:LOL: