Russia rocked by falling meteor.

Maverick

A meteor streaked across the sky above Russia's Ural Mountains on Friday morning, causing sharp explosions and injuring more than 400 people, many of them hurt by broken glass.

"There was panic. People had no idea what was happening. Everyone was going around to people's houses to check if they were OK," said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, about 930 miles east of Moscow, the biggest city in the affected region.

"We saw a big burst of light then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud thundering sound," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

Another Chelyabinsk resident, Valya Kazakov, said some elderly women in his neighborhood started crying out that the world was ending.

Some meteorites -- fragments of the meteor -- fell in a reservoir outside the town of Cherbakul, the regional governor's office said, according to the ITAR-Tass news agency. It was not immediately clear if any people were struck by fragments.

Meteors typically cause sizeable sonic booms when they enter the atmosphere because they are traveling much faster than the speed of sound. Injuries on the scale reported Friday, however, are extraordinarily rare.

Interior Ministry spokesman Vadim Kolesnikov said more than 400 people had sought medical treatment after the blasts, and at least three had been hospitalized in serious condition. Many of the injuries were from glass broken by the explosions.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/15/injuries-reported-after-meteorite-falls-in-russia-ural-mountains/

We spend 250 billion dollars a year on defense. And here we are......the fate of the planet is in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun.

:o :o :P

I was upset it missed our car by a few thousand miles. I've been praying for a rock to fall out of the sky and squish it flat, without anyone getting hurt of course.

:16ton:

I was upset it missed our car by a few thousand miles. I've been praying for a rock to fall out of the sky and squish it flat, without anyone getting hurt of course.

I can remember hating a car that much.....1982 Buick Piece-O-Shit, it was.

Wow, mine is a GM too! Yeah, the POS line is a pretty bad one. We have a 2005. I don't think we'll buy another one.

When the Replace Engine light came on, we replaced the engine. We were very thankful that GM put a Replace Engine light in their car. Otherwise, we might not have noticed that it seized while driving.

:eh:

Edited by CygnusGal

Wow, mine is a GM too! Yeah, the POS line is a pretty bad one. We have a 2005. I don't think we'll buy another one.

When the Replace Engine light came on, we replaced the engine. We were very thankful that GM put a Replace Engine light in their car. Otherwise, we might not have noticed that it seized while driving.

Thats brutal. I know someone who had a car that was so fraught with problems that they used to leave it unlocked wherever they went praying that it would get stolen. It never did. Oddly enough it was also a GM, a Chevy I believe, maybe a Citation...

Thats brutal. I know someone who had a car that was so fraught with problems that they used to leave it unlocked wherever they went praying that it would get stolen. It never did. Oddly enough it was also a GM, a Chevy I believe, maybe a Citation...

Even a successful thievery of a Chevy Citation would qualify one for the "Stupid Criminals Hall of Fame".

• Like 1

Even a successful thievery of a Chevy Citation would qualify one for the "Stupid Criminals Hall of Fame".

Worst. Car. Ever. :LOL: