GTR: Steve Hackett Vs. Steve Howe! "HACKETT TO PIECES!"

RUSHHEAD666

Hackett Vs. Howe  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Guitar Player Do You Think Is The Best?

• Steve Hackett
    • Steve Howe
    • Fukk these old guitarists! Steve Vai!

I just voted and it looks like Howe is in the lead with 100% of the votes lol

I'm not too familiar with Hackett but I vote for Howe any way.. The guy is amazing on a guitar even to this day.

Are you guys taking composing skills into account while formulating your opinion?

My first inclination is to go with Howe, based on pure technical ability. But then I thought, well wait, which is the better composer? With both Genesis and Yes it's always difficult to be sure exactly who contributed which bit to many of their greatest songs. I know Howe and Anderson dominated Tales from Topographic Oceans. And Howe played a primary role in the writing of Close to the Edge too. I think Hackett's strongest work is on Selling England by the Pound. I guess I'd give the composing nod to Howe too. They're both incredibly inventive and intensely creative, Howe with his jazz stylings and harmonics, Hackett with his tapping technique and mastery of effects and tone—they both brought a lot to the table. Howe is a great steel player too.

I guess I have to go with Howe as the better guitarist. But for some reason I've always been convinced that I would like Hackett more as a dude—Howe always seems so aloof.

Are you guys taking composing skills into account while formulating your opinion?

My first inclination is to go with Howe, based on pure technical ability. But then I thought, well wait, which is the better composer? With both Genesis and Yes it's always difficult to be sure exactly who contributed which bit to many of their greatest songs. I know Howe and Anderson dominated Tales from Topographic Oceans. And Howe played a primary role in the writing of Close to the Edge too. I think Hackett's strongest work is on Selling England by the Pound. I guess I'd give the composing nod to Howe too. They're both incredibly inventive and intensely creative, Howe with his jazz stylings and harmonics, Hackett with his tapping technique and mastery of effects and tone—they both brought a lot to the table. Howe is a great steel player too.

I guess I have to go with Howe as the better guitarist. But for some reason I've always been convinced that I would like Hackett more as a dude—Howe always seems so aloof.

Excellent post!!! I still have to go with Hackett!

I've seen Howe in Yes and Asia live and I've never seen Hackett live yet still I think Hackett takes the cake by a crumb.

Genesis is DEAD yet at least Hackett is still putting out Genesis Revisited albums. Even though he can't find a guest vocalist worth a shit. (well on the second release)

• Like 1