Let Me Beat A Dead Horse(Vapor Trails)

presto123

I'd love to hear a remix of this fantastic album! Hell, while they're at it I'd love to hear a 5.1 mix, too. Both Vapor Trails and Feedback sound like they were rejuvenated, as if they somehow tapped into that youthful energy and inspiration not heard since around the mid 1980s. It must have been the "blood, sweat and tears." I guess there really is something to be said for suffering for your art, because the vibe and inspiration on these albums is so incredibly heartfelt. It's downright shameful that VT has been neglected by the band for so long.

Personal favs: Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, Earthshine, Out Of The Cradle. But, really, there's not a clunker to be found on VT! REMIX it NOW, fellas!!!

:)

http://www.memes.at/faces/double_facepalm.jpg

:eyeroll: This is your response to a new members articulate intelligent first post? You truly are a Vapor Trails troll.

Um... yes? :unsure:

It WAS articulate and well-written, but for me it's the equivalent of someone coming in and writing with great intelligence and enthusiasm about how amazing and underrated The Spice Girls and The Backstreet Boys were. Considering that, i thought I was being kind. ;)

So, sorry to incinerate your first post Jefferson! It's not personal (unless you take me vehemently disagreeing with your opinion about an album personal). I'm very opinionated about music, and especially opinionated about Vapor Trails. And just because I think my opinion is right doesn't REALLY make it more than just my opinion.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

I'd love to hear a remix of this fantastic album! Hell, while they're at it I'd love to hear a 5.1 mix, too. Both Vapor Trails and Feedback sound like they were rejuvenated, as if they somehow tapped into that youthful energy and inspiration not heard since around the mid 1980s. It must have been the "blood, sweat and tears." I guess there really is something to be said for suffering for your art, because the vibe and inspiration on these albums is so incredibly heartfelt. It's downright shameful that VT has been neglected by the band for so long.

Personal favs: Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, Earthshine, Out Of The Cradle. But, really, there's not a clunker to be found on VT! REMIX it NOW, fellas!!!

:eyeroll: This is your response to a new members articulate intelligent first post? You truly are a Vapor Trails troll.

It WAS articulate and well-written, but for me it's the equivalent of someone coming in and writing with great intelligence and enthusiasm about how amazing and underrated The Spice Girls and The Backstreet Boys were. Considering that, i thought I was being kind. ;)

So, sorry to incinerate your first poll Jefferson! It's not personal (unless you take me vehemently disagreeing with your opinion about an album personal). I'm very opinionated about music, and especially opinionated about Vapor Trails. And just because I think my opinion is right doesn't REALLY make it more than just my opinion.

Well put Goobs...I think your onto something. They really don't mean anything do they?

it's par for the course with Goober. He's the only Rush fan in the galaxy who could emit from his formerly nicotine stained fingers that listening to "Headlong Flight" is a chore. Soon Xanadu will be too heavy a burden to bear.

Feel free to hold on to my original opinion of Headlong Flight shortly after it came out if you need to for whatever reason, but I haven't felt that way for several months about the song. Here's one example, and there are many, many more if you want to search for my name and Headlong Flight:

Caravan - 9.5/10

BU2B - 9.5/10

Clockwork Angels - 10/10

The Anarchist - 9/10

Carnies - 8.5/10

Halo Effect - 6.5/10

Seven Cities of Gold - 8.5/10

The Wreckers - 9.5/10

Headlong Flight - 10/10

BU2B2 - 1/10

Wish Them Well - 9/10

The Garden - 10/10

Ok, I'm rating this album against itself, meaning the very best songs get a 10/10. If I try to use a universal rating system for songs that includes all Rush songs, I'll go crazy, as if Xanadu gets a 10, I couldn't give anything on this album a 10, but so many of the songs here are perfect or near perfect, that I can't give them less than a 9 or 10 anyway.

Yeah you did issue a "Mea Culpa"...gotta give ya that (probably because of the pressure of being the only human to listen to the song and make that statement)...but it does demonstrate your fallibility. You said your opinion changed after you heard the entire album. OK...it took you listening to the whole LP just to figure out that HF is amazing? Couldn't do it letting the song stand on its own?

I'm telling you right now—your suspect!

-Ben Affleck, Good Will Hunting

It also took me listening to the entire album to like Caravan and BU2B. Those songs were issued out of context, and the context was everything with those songs as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, Headlong Flight just took a couple of months to grow on me. Even then I initially thought it was a good song, just a bit overlong and repetitive. That opinion eventually changed and now I think it's an amazing song. That's why I tend to take people's opinions about a new Rush album with a grain of salt until it's been out a couple/few months. Often it takes a year or more to cement what one really thinks after becoming familiar enough with something and get past the phase of being overly-enthusiastic just because it's so shiny and new.

For example, most people LOVED Snakes & Arrows when it first came out, and it took quite awhile before people started ceremoniously throwing it under the bus. I thought that was quite unfortunate, as it's got some fantastic songs on it, but even I had it initially at #4 among Rush albums for the first year or so, and now it's at #14 where it's stayed ever since. Still - a very solid album.

That said, I hated VT from the first listen, the first listen being my absolute worst moment in my now 30+ years as a Rush fan (actually the worst moment was probably 3 or 4 listens later when it didn't get any better and I was in despair that Rush had actually released a BAD album), and sadly after many years and even more listens, that view has never changed. When I first came to TRF, I was truly shocked to find that some people liked the album or even loved it. It was so obviously sub-standard for me in every way that I assumed that would be the prevalent view. I guess I still haven't fully forgiven the band for doing that to their legacy (not like the band or anyone else really cares), but thankfully the very good S&A came out followed by the excellent CA. That's redeemed the band significantly for me.

Edited by rushgoober

So, sorry to incinerate your first post Jefferson! It's not personal (unless you take me vehemently disagreeing with your opinion about an album personal). I'm very opinionated about music, and especially opinionated about Vapor Trails. And just because I think my opinion is right doesn't REALLY make it more than just my opinion.

Well put Goobs...I think your onto something. They really don't mean anything do they?

To the world at large, opinions mean nothing. To the individual who has the opinion, however, it means a great deal. Honestly, if I truly love something (a rock group, an album, a tv show, a movie, a person, whatever), it doesn't matter one iota if someone else doesn't love it as I still love it anyway. For example, just because millions of people out there hate Rush and think they're nothing more than a punchline (which unfortunately is actually the case) doesn't change the fact that they're my favorite band and has meant a tremendous amount to me for decades.

Then there's consensus opinion. Look at Rush on rateyourmusic.com (http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rush) and you'll see that with over a thousand people voting on each album, VT is right at the bottom with only T4E rated the tiniest fraction lower. My opinion, while being in the minority on a site of rabid hardcore Rush fans, is actually in the majority when looked at it from a wider perspective. Again, if you love the album, that changes nothing, which is as it should be, but I still find that to be well worth noting, if nothing else to remind myself that I'm not crazy for having the view I have. Most of you are! :P

In the end, aren't your views and opinions important TO YOU? Mine are important to me, even if no one else ever agrees with me.

Edited by rushgoober

To the world at large, opinions mean nothing. To the individual who has the opinion, however, it means a great deal. Honestly, if I truly love something (a rock group, an album, a tv show, a movie, a person, whatever), it doesn't matter one iota if someone else doesn't love it as I still love it anyway. For example, just because millions of people out there hate Rush and think they're nothing more than a punchline (which unfortunately is actually the case) doesn't change the fact that they're my favorite band and has meant a tremendous amount to me for decades.

Then there's consensus opinion. Look at Rush on rateyourmusic.com (http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rush) and you'll see that with over a thousand people voting on each album, VT is right at the bottom with only T4E rated the tiniest fraction lower. My opinion, while being in the minority on a site of rabid hardcore Rush fans, is actually in the majority when looked at it from a wider perspective. Again, if you love the album, that changes nothing, which is as it should be, but I still find that to be well worth noting, if nothing else to remind myself that I'm not crazy for having the view I have. Most of you are! :P

In the end, aren't your views and opinions important TO YOU? Mine are important to me, even if no one else ever agrees with me.

Yet when people vote with their pocketbooks, RTB is much better than CP, and CP was a huge disappointment.

BTW, I blame your repeated slanderous statements about CP and VP for my continued slamming of CP. It's not a horrible album. It's just a horrible album compared to all other Rush albums. :)

Edited by LedRush

Love Counterparts and aboslutely detest VP. Its the only Rush album I cannot almost NOT listen to at all. Just tired and unfocused IMO. Edited by ak2112

Goobs and VT is the singlemost :beathorse: of this forum.

In the end, is is just his opinion...one he has insisted on posting over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over vover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I'm sure he's almost done.

it's par for the course with Goober. He's the only Rush fan in the galaxy who could emit from his formerly nicotine stained fingers that listening to "Headlong Flight" is a chore. Soon Xanadu will be too heavy a burden to bear.

Feel free to hold on to my original opinion of Headlong Flight shortly after it came out if you need to for whatever reason, but I haven't felt that way for several months about the song. Here's one example, and there are many, many more if you want to search for my name and Headlong Flight:

Caravan - 9.5/10

BU2B - 9.5/10

Clockwork Angels - 10/10

The Anarchist - 9/10

Carnies - 8.5/10

Halo Effect - 6.5/10

The Wreckers - 9.5/10

Headlong Flight - 10/10

BU2B2 - 1/10

Wish Them Well - 9/10

The Garden - 10/10

Ok, I'm rating this album against itself, meaning the very best songs get a 10/10. If I try to use a universal rating system for songs that includes all Rush songs, I'll go crazy, as if Xanadu gets a 10, I couldn't give anything on this album a 10, but so many of the songs here are perfect or near perfect, that I can't give them less than a 9 or 10 anyway.

Hey Goobs,

Shouldn't CA get a perfect 10? Your scoring system has confused me a bit. CA is the granddaddy of them all IMO...the true emotional tie to their music.

:huh:

Yet when people vote with their pocketbooks, RTB is much better than CP, and CP was a huge disappointment.

BTW, I blame your repeated slanderous statements about CP and VP for my continued slamming of CP. It's not a horrible album. It's just a horrible album compared to all other Rush albums. :)

I think RTB sold a lot of copies because of the timing of the album, along with the EXCELLENT Dreamline and the song Roll The Bones (catchy as hell, destroyed by the horrendous rap section). It's too bad so much of the rest of the album was so weak. It didn't deserve selling more copies than other far better albums.

Caravan - 9.5/10

BU2B - 9.5/10

Clockwork Angels - 10/10

The Anarchist - 9/10

Carnies - 8.5/10

Halo Effect - 6.5/10

The Wreckers - 9.5/10

Headlong Flight - 10/10

BU2B2 - 1/10

Wish Them Well - 9/10

The Garden - 10/10

Hey Goobs,

Shouldn't CA get a perfect 10? Your scoring system has confused me a bit. CA is the granddaddy of them all IMO...the true emotional tie to their music.

I wouldn't give it a perfect 10, no, but it's a great album with a hell of a lot of great songs. For a band 38 years in, that's quite an amazing accomplishment.

Caravan - 9.5/10

BU2B - 9.5/10

Clockwork Angels - 10/10

The Anarchist - 9/10

Carnies - 8.5/10

Halo Effect - 6.5/10

The Wreckers - 9.5/10

Headlong Flight - 10/10

BU2B2 - 1/10

Wish Them Well - 9/10

The Garden - 10/10

Hey Goobs,

I wouldn't give it a perfect 10, no, but it's a great album with a hell of a lot of great songs. For a band 38 years in, that's quite an amazing accomplishment.

What does he know? the fool that he was? Giving Halo Effect a 6.5 is crazy...like getting a check from the government kinda crazy :codger:

Caravan - 9.5/10

BU2B - 9.5/10

Clockwork Angels - 10/10

The Anarchist - 9/10

Carnies - 8.5/10

Halo Effect - 6.5/10

The Wreckers - 9.5/10

Headlong Flight - 10/10

BU2B2 - 1/10

Wish Them Well - 9/10

The Garden - 10/10

Hey Goobs,

What does he know? the fool that he was? Giving Halo Effect a 6.5 is crazy...like getting a check from the government kinda crazy :codger:

I actually think that 6.5 is a bit generous, and it should be lower. It's not a bad song, but next to the rest of the album, it's pretty weak. You COULD choose to focus on the fact that I give 11 out of the 13 songs an 8.5 - 10 instead of the two I don't like, but that's your choice. ;)

So does Goobs still hate VT or is he coming round to it yet?

He loves it. This is all a ruse. He has a birthmark on his arse zactly like the cover of VT. He loved VT before it was released. Tis true.

:P

Hi rushgoober,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I read through everyone's responses before I posted, so I was expecting to get some blow back from you. It's a shame, though that you hate VT so much. You're missing out on a fantastic album.

I love the Retrospective remixes of Earthshine and One Little Victory, but if they never return to do a full album remix I'm okay with that, too. After all, VT is a document of the blistered rawness of the time in the wake of such devastating tragedy, and I'm not sure that a sugar coated makeover so far removed from that time period is the best way to historically represent the album to future generations. Richard Chycki (or whoever remixes it) wasn't there for the "blood, sweat and tears" and the band themselves have gone through so much healing since then. The Retrospective remixes sound better and clearer sonically to me, but all of the rough edges have been smoothed over, too (they don't bite and tear at the flesh like the original mixes do). However, if they do 5.1 remixes of every album, then they're going to remix it at some point anyway...so they might as well do a stereo remix as well.

Hi rushgoober,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I read through everyone's responses before I posted, so I was expecting to get some blow back from you. It's a shame, though that you hate VT so much. You're missing out on a fantastic album.

I love the Retrospective remixes of Earthshine and One Little Victory, but if they never return to do a full album remix I'm okay with that, too. After all, VT is a document of the blistered rawness of the time in the wake of such devastating tragedy, and I'm not sure that a sugar coated makeover so far removed from that time period is the best way to historically represent the album to future generations. Richard Chycki (or whoever remixes it) wasn't there for the "blood, sweat and tears" and the band themselves have gone through so much healing since then. The Retrospective remixes sound better and clearer sonically to me, but all of the rough edges have been smoothed over, too (they don't bite and tear at the flesh like the original mixes do). However, if they do 5.1 remixes of every album, then they're going to remix it at some point anyway...so they might as well do a stereo remix as well.

The remixes to me just pointed out the inherent weakness of the songs. It was no longer physical painful to listen to without the clipping, but the songs just still didn't make it for me in any way. I don't feel like I'm missing out in any way, because for me it's the polar opposite of a fantastic album. I don't think it ever should have been released, but it's nice that you and some other people enjoy it. I wouldn't want to take that way from you. There are plenty of albums I love that other people hate. Hell, my wife hates MOST of my albums! :P

Goobs, Goobs, Goobs....Really? ...a polar opposite of a fanastic album? So you don't like the raw metal power that VT provides? Would love to see what albums are on your "love" list....

I finally invested in a state of the art blu-ray sound system and was anxious to hear Vapor Trails. It's a totally different sound and perspective on a truly great sound system. It's still a bit loud, but it's very clear and heavy and raw and angry. It makes a big difference to have a really good system, and I finally get it when I hear others say they don't hear the bad stuff. It must mean they have a similar system to listen to music with...

Goobs, Goobs, Goobs....Really? ...a polar opposite of a fanastic album? So you don't like the raw metal power that VT provides? Would love to see what albums are on your "love" list....

Here's a recent thread of my top 100 albums. I'm working on a newer list that's going to be somewhere between 250 and 400 fave albums. ;) :

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/74322-list-your-top-100-albums/&do=findComment&comment=2623621

I finally invested in a state of the art blu-ray sound system and was anxious to hear Vapor Trails. It's a totally different sound and perspective on a truly great sound system. It's still a bit loud, but it's very clear and heavy and raw and angry. It makes a big difference to have a really good system, and I finally get it when I hear others say they don't hear the bad stuff. It must mean they have a similar system to listen to music with...

my experience is the better the sound system, the better a well recorded album will sound, and the flaws are more magnified in a poorly recorded album.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

Here's a recent thread of my top 100 albums. I'm working on a newer list that's going to be somewhere between 250 and 400 fave albums. ;) :

http://www.therushfo...s/#entry2623621

Hey Goobs,

Looked at your list...wow, never heard of some of these...I was born too late in '67! :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

my experience is the better the sound system, the better a well recorded album will sound, and the more magnified the flaws a poorly recorded album will sound.

this makes sense. I unfortunately do not have a good sound system, usually listen to music in car.

I love VT. I understand and can hear all the flaws people complain about, but for me I can get past it.

I did listen to it on some really nice bose headphones a friend of me let me borrow at work, WOW the flaws were very noticeable and it did distract and take away from the experience significantly

overall I love the album, and right now I probably rank it above CA (just for me, not saying its better music, just I enjoy listening to it more). It takes me a while to fall in love with an album, I could definitely see in a few years CA being in my top 5 rush albums, just not yet

Someone was asking for one of the fan remixes of Vapor Trails in another thread and I had it so you can find a link here if you want to listen. I've heard three fan remixes and this one is my favorite, but at this point it is what it is and maybe they should just leave the original alone or at least release it as a double CD with the original and the remix if they ever actually get around to doing it.

Vapor Trails [HILDIE Reworked Version] - Different Stages - The Rush Forum