Protest the Hero crowdsources $125,000 to record new album in less than 24 hours

priest_of_syrinx

Looks like record labels are a thing of the past. http://www.indiegogo.../protestthehero (<<the video on here is hilarious)

Short Summary

Can you believe that we've been a band for 13 years and counting? We've finally decided to take matters into our own hands and want to raise money for the album directly from the people who have helped keep this band going all these years. In this time, we've release 3 full length albums, a live DVD/CD, as well as an EP and a 7 inch. We've toured all over the world (but still wanting to check off more destinations and visit more places) and pretty much lived and breathed this band as long as we've been in existence.

We are finally free from all obligations and want to be in control of our “careers”. In general, the record industry is backwards and we'd be stupid to renegotiate with anyone at this time. Crowdfunding seems to be something that's working. Whether or not this is the next thing for the music industry, it's a way that supporters of a band can know exactly where their hard earned dollars are going. No middlemen, no commissions, no bullshit.

Perks range anywhere from a digital download of the album for a $10 donation to a guest appearance on the album for $5,000 (and yes, someone has taken one). My personal favorite is a postcard every month for a year from the bass player for $150. Whatever medium you choose for an album purchase, you get your name in the liner notes as a contributor.

Their goal was to raise $125,000 over 30 days. It launched about 40 hours ago and they're already at $178,879.

I think this is a great idea, and I'm glad that one of my favorite bands is doing it. :)

Crowdfunding is the future. Practically everything can be achieved with it: videogames, music, and even movies i think. I like the idea of a band getting financed directly by the fans, no record label or contractual bullshit. It won't be long before every band starts releasing material this way, trust me.

Never heard of 'em.

Good idea though and it obviously works (pretty f'n well too!!!!)

The perks are really cool, fun and funny.

The artwork is great.

The music....a little too busy and all over the place for my tastes, but they play well.

Not a fan of the vocal melody at all.

The lyrics were cool though.

Too bad they'll never get the recognition they deserve for their hard work and talent...after all how can hard work and talent compete with Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber?

funny thing is that despite raising all that cash they still signed with a reord label!

http://www.metalsuck...ve-them-341000/

That's for distribution. The whole point of the campaign was so that they wouldn't have to spend their tour just trying to pay back the record company. They now owe the company distributing their album nothing. It's a much different situation than most bands find themselves in.

funny thing is that despite raising all that cash they still signed with a reord label!

That's for distribution. The whole point of the campaign was so that they wouldn't have to spend their tour just trying to pay back the record company. They now owe the company distributing their album nothing. It's a much different situation than most bands find themselves in.

Ok, I see that point and I'm liking what I'm seeing on the video and the perks and was shocked and glad to see a band raise a buttload of money on word of mouth and crowd-funding and all, but don't they have to pay a certain fee to a record label to distribute their product to stores, or is there something I'm missing?

Just a curious question.

Edited by Anguyen92

Ok, I see that point and I'm liking what I'm seeing on the video and the perks and was shocked and glad to see a band raise a buttload of money on word of mouth and crowd-funding and all, but don't they have to pay a certain fee to a record label to distribute their product to stores, or is there something I'm missing?

Just a curious question.

I'm sure the record company keeps a cut, but the band will be able to keep a lot more because they aren't in any debt to the company before they start.

So Volition is out there. I had a few listens and I think it's great. Mist is one of the catchiest things they've written. My other standouts include Animals Bones, Clarity, and Drumhead Trial.

So Volition is out there. I had a few listens and I think it's great. Mist is one of the catchiest things they've written. My other standouts include Animals Bones, Clarity, and Drumhead Trial.

I'm only about halfway through, and the music is fantastic as always, but it seems on first glance like the lyrics took a bit of a hit this time around. Not a big fan of the unequivocal political statements about.... pitbulls. :unsure:

Edited by priest_of_syrinx