Autograph Success

dayglow76

Janie, maybe they see the same person and address more than once, and then put your items toward the bottom of the pile. Who knows? I figure why press my luck, so I just sent one cd booklet. Fwiw I did sent a note along with it, but who knows if they read that stuff or maybe Liam just grabs the items and sase and tosses the rest.

Dm3113, basically what I and others have done is to send an item to a venue that has confirmed they will forward the mail to the tour. I addressed mine to "RUSH Clockwork Angels Tour c/o Liam Birt". Put the item in an unsealed return envelope or box with your address on it and the correct postage in actual stamps, then put it all in a large package addressed to the venue and seal it up and send it out. I had the post office weigh the return package and figure out correct postage for it to come home, put the stamps on it, then I sealed that in the package going out and had them weight it again and put the postage label on it.

So the good news is that after a week on the phone with the MGM Grand, I tracked down my package that I sent to try and get signed! The bummer news is that it came back unsigned.

It was a long shot and I am not really sure the package actually made it to Liam. After the run around with the MGM post office, I got the package sent back. It seems a bit weird though, I had sent a poster tube with 2 of the lithographs from last years tour hoping to get signed (one for my brother and one for me...first Rush show together), with a self addressed stamped poster tube for return. The original tube was opened, posters removed and placed in the return tube...here is where it is a bit weird.....the return poster tube (that had full postage on it) was placed into another larger triangle box and sent through the MGM business office for return.

I have a feeling that it just sat on a desk somewhere and was about to get tossed before I started calling to track it down!

I guess I have a few more North American dates to shoot for eh?

To those of you with more success....do you think I should try sending these two posters separately? I seem to recall someone saying that the guys don't like to sign multiple items for one person. Any insight would be great!

Thanks!

G

To those of you with more success....do you think I should try sending these two posters separately? I seem to recall someone saying that the guys don't like to sign multiple items for one person. Any insight would be great!

Thanks!

G

Like I mentioned previously, I had sent in two items to be signed - one came back signed, the other didn't. So, I sent the second item separately to another venue a few weeks apart and it still didn't get signed. So maybe they keep track of names/addresses somehow to make sure it's only one item per fan per tour!?!? Seems weird. I guess go for it and see what comes back! I hope you have some luck.

My only advice...

Only send 1) stuff that can be sent in a flat package 2) items that aren't so obscure (such as sheet music) that they may view as someone trying to make a profit on. Looks like album covers, books, photos have the best chance of being signed and returned.

Just my two pennies.

My only advice...

Only send 1) stuff that can be sent in a flat package 2) items that aren't so obscure (such as sheet music) that they may view as someone trying to make a profit on. Looks like album covers, books, photos have the best chance of being signed and returned.

Just my two pennies.

Pshaw. Are you kidding me? People have sent things like drum heads and cymbals and gotten them signed. I still say that my one sheet of one page of guitar from TSOR would have been fine.

Lots of success stories on the autographs thread, but I struck out sending something to Seattle (hemispheres cd booklet). Someone else got a signed album from Seattle so I can't say WTF happened, but obviously there are no guarantees.

I would love to know why some items are signed while others aren't. I have had a few tour books signed plus Neil signed one of his books for me. One time I sent Alex my copy of TSOR guitar sheet music to be signed. His guitar on this song is what made me a Rush fan when I was a teenager and it meant a lot to me. I wanted this signed and framed in my house alongside my other signed pieces. It was going to be something I was so proud to own yet it came back unsigned. I thought maybe it was a simple oversight so mailed it again to a different venue (both times with a note explaining what this song meant to me). Both times it was sent back, unsigned. I was seriously crushed and have since been wondering why in the world Alex wouldn't sign this??

I had contacted both venues beforehand ensuring that items mailed to artists were delivered to them. Besides, one time I had also sent a tourbook along with the sheet music and the tourbook came back, signed.

Rush signing autographs is a courtesy to loyal fans. Thinking you can get "everything" signed is a bit much, no? They are there to play not to go through piles of mail, let alone do you a favor. :blush:

Do you guys send the items direct to the venue with a covering letter?

I sent a Hemispheres cd cover to the Cleveland venue, addressed to Liam Bert c/o Rush with a letter that read something like 'Big fan of Rush. Could they sign this if they have the time?'

Got it about a week and a half later, signed by all three.

I sent a letter, with a quick thank you, and if I remember correctly, probably some "blubbering" about how they are my favorite band, been following them since 1976, yadda yadda yadda.... My guess is that the letter was tossed, the album set with a note on "whom" to make it out to, and my SASE....

I think I might try it again with my PW album when they hit Hershey again this summer...just for the heck of it....(or maybe the ATWAS album since it WAS my first) (ok, or the CoS album) (sh*t, decisions, decisions, decisions!)(maybe I should start a poll?)

Let me guess....two thick pieces of oversized cardboard sammwitch in a big envelope or flat rate box.

Sort of, I left the album in (because it was scratched, and I didn't really care if it got messed up)(it didn't) and I also stuck some heavy cardstock in the sleeve... I used two LARGE bubble mailers.

Also...I put "PHOTOS DO NOT BEND" on both envelopes!

As I mentioned earlier, I sent a cd booklet put in a generic thinline jewel case, then put it inside a padded media mailer. Big mistake. The envelope looked like a pit bull used it as a chew toy, and the jewel case was smashed. I was shocked that the booklet wasn't damaged more by the shards of plastic—just a tiny little scratch near the top center edge. You can probably see it in the photo I posted. I may send something this summer to give to my best friend who met Geddy and Alex with me back on the counterparts tour. No hard plastic going near the envelope this time, and I'll send it as if he was sending it, so it goes directly to his mail. SURPRISE!

I sent a photo into a venue, I forget which. I included a return envelope stamped and ready to be sent back to me, all they had to do was put the photo in the envelope and put it in the mail box. my photo came back 3-4 days after the show and it was signed by all three of them! I cried SO MUCH! :') Definitely one of the happiest moments of my life!

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z365/musicalabby2112/IMG_1393.jpg

• Like 3

I want to try to send something in to get signed this tour. Has anyone had success with any of the US venues they're playing this spring? I'd prefer to send something in for one of the April/May shows so if it didn't come back I could try again in the summer.

by the way does anyone know who wrote the "to abby"? :rush:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z365/musicalabby2112/IMG_1393.jpg

Looks the same as mine. All capital letters. I kind of figured it was Alex since he always seems to sign on the far left.

• Like 1

A good rule of thumb is whoever signed closest to the greeting.

I'd rule out Geddy for few reasons in this case.

Looks like Neil's handwriting, but Alex is closer.

Since I'm being anal about this, if it were Neil, you'd think he'd sing it closer to where he is in the photo, but maybe Alex didn't leave him a choice.