Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds - The New Generation

Hatchetaxe&saw

Got The New Generation, it's worth the purchase, it sounds great, it still sounds like it was recorded in the '70's, with the odd nod to modernity, and Liam Neeson is very good as the journalist.

Saw the live show in Dublin last night, it was freaking fantastic. The Black Smoke band has Chris Spedding, Laurie Wisefield & the great Herbie Flowers in it. Horsell Common & The Heat Ray was spectacular.

Great special effects, lasers, explosions, Liam Neeson hologram.

It did feel weird applauding his hologram at the end, and he takes a bow. Yeah, that was strange.

I am a HUGE fan of the original. So much so that I got the 6-disc anniversary box set when it came out a few years ago.

I pre-ordered the New Generation album and have had a chance to listen to it a few times.

I like it quite a bit. Neeson does a good job, and all the singers are top-notch. Joss Stone sounds A LOT like Julie Covington. The instrumentation is close enough to the original that I'm comfortable and familiar all the way through, and the sonic updates were mostly well-done. All the "Ullas" sound just like before. Do I miss the kickass harpsichord? Maybe a little...

I found it a bit odd that there were significantly more musical tweaks to Part 2 than Part 1 - maybe because Part 2 was considered the weaker half? I've always had a slight preference for the back half of the album, actually.

Recommended to fans of the original!

I wish the stage show would come to America...