Star Trek: Into Darkness

USB Connector

I really hope it's not Khan, only because nobody could ever top the original RM's portrayal!

But the Gary Mitchell thing would be AWESOME. My god, imagine what they could do. And afterall he IS a one-man destroyer of worlds and it would be a lot better to see a villian like that than the other "World Eater - Weird flying snowcone / cigar" thing in that one TOS episode (sorry, I am a DS9 / TNG man myself).

Maybe they could do a spin on the "Enemy Within" episode where there's 2 Kirks, good and evil?

Oh well, as long as it's not Harry Mudd or some shit!

Or better yet, how about something totally original that has nothing to do with any episodes from the original series?

The writers aren't as good, or someone doesn't think they're as good, so they use the old stories...

Or better yet, how about something totally original that has nothing to do with any episodes from the original series?

The writers aren't as good, or someone doesn't think they're as good, so they use the old stories...

The 2009 movie established that they had competent writers who could operate within tolerable amounts of plot holes.

The 2009 movie established that they had competent writers who could operate within tolerable amounts of plot holes.

There are no "new" stories. Really. There's just the re-telling of the old tales in a contemporary light, usually with updates for technology, language and social morays. Time immemorial. And they do it, not because they're not as "good" as treeduck notes ;) , but because oft times they are so good they can update a story and make you believe it is new and original. That's what made TOS timeless (Wagon Train in space) and its spinoffs more or less viable. TNG was an honoured TOS re-cast, DS9 was the soap, Voyager was the Saturday morning serial. Enterprise tried to back fill. I've tried a few times but still can't make it past Xindi.

Are you suggesting a re-do of Space Seed and not STM:II? That would be very interesting and would really fit the bill, especially at two hours. I really wish they'd just make the darn thing into a TV series so we wouldn't have to wait a few years between episodes.

:ranton: And please, no more time jumps. They make the story look foolish after a while and they're hard to follow, imo. :rantoff:

BTW, Del_Duio it was the Doomsday Machine and Matt Decker (They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is.) Presumably still out there gobbling up anything in its path...with a course set to the densest part of Federation space. :o

BTW, Del_Duio it was the Doomsday Machine and Matt Decker (They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is.) Presumably still out there gobbling up anything in its path...with a course set to the densest part of Federation space. :o

Thank you!

One thing I will say though is that I too really hope there's no more time travelling this time around. I liked the hell out of the last movie. I was down with the whales, that's fine. It was nice to see the Borg back for First Contact but they went back in time again. Insurrection didn't have time travel but they did SLOW TIME DOWN occasionally. They do like to overdo the time plot device, don't they?

I might be alone here but I thought Star Trek 6 was an awesome movie, and it didn't have time travel at all. WoK goes without saying, that's ST at it's finest hour. It can be done, so let's hope they do it!

P.S: Ironically, one of my favorite DS9 episodes is "Children of Time". The short of it was that the Defiant crash-landed on some planet and screwed time up in some fashion and they meet their ancestors 200 years in the future. If the crew escapes, all of those people and their culture would have never existed- so what's the right thing to do? It's really well-done.

There are no "new" stories. Really. There's just the re-telling of the old tales in a contemporary light, usually with updates for technology, language and social morays. Time immemorial. And they do it, not because they're not as "good" as treeduck notes ;) , but because oft times they are so good they can update a story and make you believe it is new and original. That's what made TOS timeless (Wagon Train in space) and its spinoffs more or less viable. TNG was an honoured TOS re-cast, DS9 was the soap, Voyager was the Saturday morning serial. Enterprise tried to back fill. I've tried a few times but still can't make it past Xindi.

Are you suggesting a re-do of Space Seed and not STM:II? That would be very interesting and would really fit the bill, especially at two hours. I really wish they'd just make the darn thing into a TV series so we wouldn't have to wait a few years between episodes.

:ranton: And please, no more time jumps. They make the story look foolish after a while and they're hard to follow, imo. :rantoff:

I know there's no such thing as a technically new story, but why should we get a remake of a TOS episode? I would hardly call TOS timeless. No I didn't grow up with the series but there was more 60s feminism in that show than there was morality of any kind.

Well someone isn't as confident as you and even you're not so confident since you're predicting Khan as the villain...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/03/article-0-165390C0000005DC-37_634x915.jpg

I don't like it. :boo hiss: :boo hiss: Looks like a Batman Beyond poster.... focusing on the villain.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/03/article-0-165390C0000005DC-37_634x915.jpg

I don't like it. :boo hiss: :boo hiss: Looks like a Batman Beyond poster.... focusing on the villain.

It looks like a comic book cover to me...

Well someone isn't as confident as you and even you're not so confident since you're predicting Khan as the villain...

I like to think pessimistically in anticipation. That way when something turns out better than expected I'm happier about it. When it turns out awesome it's like being a kid during Christmas. Besides, I think the poster tells us it's NOT Khan. Unless they overhauled his attire, but I doubt that.

It looks like a comic book cover to me...

Comic book is more accurate than Batman....

http://images.fandango.com/MDCsite/images/featured/201111/posters2.jpg

I like to think pessimistically in anticipation. That way when something turns out better than expected I'm happier about it. When it turns out awesome it's like being a kid during Christmas. Besides, I think the poster tells us it's NOT Khan. Unless they overhauled his attire, but I doubt that.

If they have picked a TOS character whoever it is will probably be nothing like the original and they might as well have created a new character.

If they have picked a TOS character whoever it is will probably be nothing like the original and they might as well have created a new character.

Well, ya know, everyone's destinies were changed by Nero and the Romulans, so everyone will be a bit different. They could even cast a female as Starbuck....no, wait.....nevermind..... :dweez:

Well, ya know, everyone's destinies were changed by Nero and the Romulans, so everyone will be a bit different. They could even cast a female as Starbuck....no, wait.....nevermind..... :dweez:

They could even decide to dress Zoe Saldana in a uniform with a very short skirt... :popcorn:

Which might be the logic Abrams followed. We'll know in May...or at least I'm hoping to avoid spoilers until I walk into the theatre.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon002.gif

Trailer released:

Turn down your speakers. The latest Hollywood export of BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BWAAAAAAAAAAH is in full force.

Gary Mitchell?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_melnkws6tV1ru24vro1_400.pnghttp://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_melnh8gZAn1rnix5j.jpg

In the Japanese version of the trailer, you have a nod to the wrath of khan. Looks pretty awesome, although I am tired of that annoying sound effect in every single trailer.

Wow, awesome but yeah it's not Khan.

If it were Mitchell, wouldn't his eyes be glowing though? And he wouldn't need that huge-ass gun either.

I don't think it's Khan, where's the rest of his crew? Did Khan ever have a weapon like that? If they were going to do Khan I think they'd have picked someone else to play him. I don't think it's Gary Mitchell either. Seems like it's someone else...

I don't think it's Khan, where's the rest of his crew? Did Khan ever have a weapon like that? If they were going to do Khan I think they'd have picked someone else to play him. I don't think it's Gary Mitchell either. Seems like it's someone else...

The weapon looks like a re-imagining of the TOS phaser rifle. Didn't kirk use one of these to shoot Mitchell?

http://www.xscapesprops.com/star%20trek%20props/Phaser_Rifle_TOSdetail.jpg

Also, don't forget this is a teaser trailer. I could make something similar looking out of Back to the Future part 2 or just about any other action movie. Odds are nothing of the plot has really been revealed. For all we know it is Mitchell but they made it so that he doesn't get all of his powers right away.

I was going to suggest Colonel Green, the 21st century rogue officer who slaughtered millions, but then when I see this villain leaping around like he's Superman, well,.....I don't know....

Colonel Green?

Gary Seven? He possessed some mega-human abilities.

Khan? It had better not be him.

:eh: :eh: :eh: