Taking children to Rush!?

CZSteve

I took my daughter to her first RUSH show at 8 years old. She enjoyed the music, but had no ideas what she was seeing. For the CA Tour, we listened to the CD together, discussed the concept and kept psyching each other out for the show. Drove up to Montreal from Philly and found out that we landed 11th row Center. Kept looking over at her during the show. She was doe-eyed, almost in disbelief at what she was seeing. She just kept saying "just 3 guys?". To which I proudly replied "Yes, just 3 guys". It appears that her knowledge of the music really helped her enjoy the show (she plays violin, so she loved the strings). Plus, is all we listen to at home, so she was well exposed to the entire setlist.

I definitely would have taken my 9-yr old daughter to the Atlanta show last night, all things being equal, but two factors prevented it. First, it was one of those 6-hours-down-there -> show -> 6-hours-back-the-next-day type of trips. Second, I paid a little over $100 for my seat, and my wife would have had an absolute fit if I'd bought a 2nd one. Not saying she's right or wrong, but that's just the reality of the situation. I would have loved for Katie to be there with me, but it just wasn't in the cards, unfortunately. And now, unless some really favorable circumstances materialize with respect to a 2013 US tour leg, I may never have a chance to take her. We'll see. I'll hope for the best. And who knows? Last night may very well have been MY last show. You never know...

I think this won't be your last show unless you decide to not go, as they will continue to tour. I think they have at least one or two more left in them.

I think they have at least one or two more left in them.

Maz, I sure as hell hope you're right about that. I really do...

I think this won't be your last show unless you decide to not go, as they will continue to tour. I think they have at least one or two more left in them.

I pray to god you're right about this. I've only seen them once and they blew me away. I need to see them again.

I am taking my 12 yr. old son to the Nov. 21 '12 show in San Diego.

It will be his second concert, having seen Green Day in the summer 2011.

He is a drummer, knows Neil as a percussion God, and has heard Neil play since probably his conception or at least heard the beats in first trimester.

I pray to god you're right about this. I've only seen them once and they blew me away. I need to see them again.

In recent articles since S&A they've said they're excited about producing new music...which typically means more tours.

Hello All,

Who all here have taken their kids to see Rush? What ages are your kids? How was it?

I'm planning on taking my 12 yr old boy and to the show here in Dallas in a couple weeks; can't wait to share the experience!!! default/biggrin.png

Originally planned on a friend coming in from out of state w/ his son to join but that fell thru; debating using the other two tickets for my wife and 9 yr old daughter or a freind of my son and his dad.

CA shows so far:

- Generally started on time?

- Total length of time for show?

(Dallas show is a school night and curious what I'm looking at).

Best,

Steve

Hey Steve,

I took my son, then 9, to the Snakes & Arrows tour a couple of years ago. We had lawn seats in Bristow, VA. He loved it.

This time I took the whole family, wife and two daughters aged 5 & 7 and son now 11. We took hearing protection for the girls, headphones, and soft ear plugs for my son but he didn't want them.

The show was so great that he and I drove to Charlotte to see it again, which we both thought was better despite a couple of malfunctioning moving screens. Neither of us wore hearing protection at that show which wasn't as loud as we thought being that it was indoors.

Anyway, at 12 he'll absolutely love it! I've seen Rush five or six times now including the original Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves tours. I may have seen the Hemispheres tour as well, I can't recall. Also saw the Test for Echo tour whatever that one was called, and again, the Snakes & Arrows tour a couple of years ago.

This was by far and away the best by a country mile!

I would say this however, if you've not read the book, definitely get it and read it before the show. It's a really quick read, depending upon one's reading skill level, I'd say 3-6 hours. I really don't read novels, I'm more into non-fiction, but this was the best novel I've ever read and it makes the show all that much better since kind of like Pink Floyd's The Wall, this tells a story although not a dark one, a very uplifting one.

If you're careful about what you let your kids read as we are, you should find absolutely nothing offensive whatsoever in this book. I'd been meaning to send a letter to Neil Peart on what a great job they did w/ the book, but I figured it would just get stuffed into some pile and read by someone paid to read it so I haven't done that.

Either way, get the book, read it before the concert as you still have time, and definitely have your son read it too and enjoy the show. I'll predict that it's right up there w/ the best live performance you'll have ever been to if not the all-around best ever.

Let me know what you think after the show.

BTW, it is a long show, 3+ hours, but it doesn't seem like it and if it starts at 7:30 or so, figure 20 min. late, you'll still get out at a reasonable hour and if you don't take him you'll be kicking yourself for years. IMO Rush is a fantastic band for young people to assist them with learning about music. They're so ridiculously talented and as a trio easily have the best blend/combo of three musicians all near tops in their particular art genres w/ Peart and Lee noted by some as the best in the biz overall.

BTW, aren't you lucky, according to posters here the Phoenix and Dallas shows will be recorded for the DVD that I can't wait to buy. I wish they had put the Charlotte, NC show on DVD. I'll take any one of this tour tho, seriously, best concert I've ever been to period, of the oh, 80 - 100 I've been to over my lifetime.

Edited by Wingmaster

Do it , DO IT NOW, I took my son back during the R30 tour , he was 13 then and on the drive to Irvine meadows still hated riding in dads land criuser / mobile sound studio because it meant Rush 99.999% of the drive. As we got back in after the concert to go get a late dinner , HE was pulling up A show of Hands , Signals , etc. on his own.

ps, we met a couple there who brought there 5 yo son , they were up on the lawn but te kid was ready ! I asked what his fav song si ??? Working Man...I didnt see that one coming,

Took my 6 year old daughter (now 11) front row about 5 years ago. Alex gave her a pick and she still has it in a frame. She had the time of her life and I highly recommend it. :cheers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/RushRevisited/rushali.jpg

Edit to add: Make sure your little ones have ear protection!

I took my 12 year old son to RUSH in San Diego on 11/21/12 and we were in the 10th row....to say the least, it was an awesome experience for both of us. My son plays drums and was blown away by seeing The Professor up so close. After the show, he said he wanted to go home and practice his drum rolls and flipping his sticks inn the air.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz77/tanhuntland/2012%20Rush%20Vacation/IMG_0113.jpg