Alex and Geddy discuss the band's future

zappafrank

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read!

And sad to realistically ponder that one day, there will be no more touring Rush. Embrace 'em while we can, we must.

And I always like looking at Geddy's basses!

Being a fan since 1991, I have noticed that almost every interview with Rush regarding the latest album always seem to include similar talking points:

"We recorded this album in a different way, one that felt fresh!"

"We stripped back the keyboards for a more organic sound!"

"We had more fun recording this record than any other!"

"This record is going to sound heavy with upfront guitar!"

"I feel like this is some of the best material we've ever done!" (Neil said this about TFE which is laughable now in hindsight)

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 12 2012, 11:33 PM)
What did they say about how long they're gonna be around? Sorry, I started to read the article, but it was kind of a boringfest IMHO.. unsure.gif

Agreed, Where exactly do they mention anything about their future endeavous?

confused13.gif

Few things here:

I like the comments about the overdubs - the vocal 1000 Geddys was becoming annoying from about Counterpoints onward. Simply chorusing your own voice doesn't add anything to the texture of the vocal arrangements. Even though Time Stand Still is commercially poppy, the addition of Aimee Mann gave the song a textural element that has been sorely missed in recent recordings.

As far as their touring capabilities go, I'm sorry, but they are still going at 60, and good luck to them. But when they start moaning about how demanding and hard it is to be artists, puh-lease. I'm sure that being millionaires is a tough life, compared to nursing, teaching etc...

At least Alex is grounded enough to admit that they have led a very charmed life. Retire when you want, mate, but please don't complain about how hard it is to be a rock star! In my world, I certainly don't get riders and chaueffers.

Next, for those that are bass players and/or Lee followers, it's always nice to hear the story behind his No1 bass. Apparently he picked it up in a pawn shop, and it was a little bashed around, but it had an amazing tone. He said that there was some kind of error in the wiring, but it made it sound wonderful and wouldn't let anyone touch it or fix it. Years later they took it apart and examined it and it became the basis for the Geddy Lee Fender Signature model. May be wrong, but that's the story I remember.

Lastly, I really like Clockwork Angels, best material in many years. However I find that catchy, singalong tunes have been missing for quite a while with Rush. Snakes And Arrows had perhaps one or two songs that I can hum in my head after the album has finished. Vapour Trails even less. I know that Geddy is the more melodic writer, but what has been lost since even T4E? Not sure.

Sorry bout the long post

wub.gif wub.gif b_sigh.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (cronker @ Oct 13 2012, 10:51 PM)
...Retire when you want, mate, but please don't complain about how hard it is to be a rock star! In my world, I certainly don't get riders and chaueffers.

...I know that Geddy is the more melodic writer, but what has been lost since even T4E? Not sure.

Discussing the physical limitations of playing at this level with the advent of age is not "complaining about being a Rock Star" and I don't really see how it merits your comment about not having a limo confused13.gif

It's not like they are aloof about their fortunes and rub it in our faces.

I also think you need to give Clockwork another listen. It's contains the most catchy and memorable melodies Ged has written since Presto. Even I was surprised, I didn't think he still had it in him, honeslty.

It will be a sad day when they call it for good.

I was born in 1973...they've always been here...(*sniff*)...

Seriously, though, I mean that. But they are and always have been realists, and I agree that we're fortunate to have benefited from all that they've given to us.

Even though I love the fact that they're playing roughly three-hour shows, and that is remarkable, they could certainly get away with two hours. I don't think many of us would complain about that, because sure, just traveling itself gets to be physically demanding, not even mentioning the energy that is expended onstage.