Rush in Cinema & Television

Tombstone Mountain

CBS's long-running comedy, How I Met Your Mother will be airing a Canadian-filled episode on February 4th and, according to a news release from the Huffington Post, Geddy Lee will be among the many Canadians to make an appearance on the show.

From the website:

"How I Met Your Mother" is trotting out some very big Canadian stars for the return of Robin Sparkles on Monday, February 4.

Alan Thicke, Alex Trebek, K.D. Lang and James Van Der Beek are just a few of the stars who will appear in the episode marking the return of Cobie Smulders in her Canadian pop star guise.

A video which is included in the news story lists all of the guest starts, with Geddy Lee's name appearing at approximately the 40-second mark.

How I Met Your Mother airs every Monday night at 8PM EST on CBS.

FX's long-running animated series Archer has had a history of Rush sightings throughout its run. Most have taken place in the form of a Rush album-themed mural appearing on the side of Krieger's van (one of the main characters in the show).

On the most recent episode of the show from the 4th season titled "The Wind Cries Mary," Krieger's van received the "Fly By Night" treatment.

OK, so this one is a little embarrassing. Upon doing some research into this years Comic Relief song, I had to click to watch the video on Youtube. Unfortunately this years song is a bit of a mash-up of "One way or another" & "Teenage Kicks" by One Direction.

As I said, I had to click to watch the video else I couldn't feel right slagging them off. Well, what do I see? Only Harry "floppy haired wanker" Styles in a Rush Presto t-shirt. :outtahere:

Edited by metallithrax
  • Like 1

OK, so this one is a little embarrassing. Upon doing some research into this years Comic Relief song, I had to click to watch the video on Youtube. Unfortunately this years song is a bit of a mash-up of "One way or another" & "Teenage Kicks" by One Direction.

As I said, I had to click to watch the video else I couldn't feel right slagging them off. Well, what do I see? Only Harry "floppy haired wanker" Styles in a Rush Presto t-shirt. :outtahere:

That's freaking cool...and fringe :AlienSmiley:

I saw an episode of My Name is Earl tonight (great show, BTW).

Anyway, Earl gets a real job, and they play Working Man during a brief montage.

You have an eagle eye for this sort of thing—thanks dude! I love that show
  • Like 1

Here's something cool I ran into—TM

Rush Mention In "Treasure Detectives" Preview Feature

Yesterday Yahoo! News published a teaser story and slideshow for the series premiere of CNBC's Treasure Detectives, which premiered last night, March 5th, at 9:00pm ET. In a case of life imitating art, the online story tells of the discovery of a rare original Ferrari 166 Mille Miglia, the car featured in the song "Red Barchetta", that had been "preserved for for fifty-odd years":

"This 1950 Ferrari 166 Mille Miglia was not really lost, but it was out of the public eye for nearly half a century (much like the car stashed in a barn in the 1981 song "Red Barchetta" by Rush). This rare intact example of the original Ferrari racing car
(only 166 were made, per the name)
went from disuse to the cover of the September/October 2006 issue of Cavallino Magazine and then was shown at the 2007 Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach, Fla."

I do need to correct the author of the above, it is not true that "only 166 were made, per the name". In fact, only thirty-eight of these hand built masterpieces were produced, from 1947 to 1953. The first "sports car" (as opposed to a race car) ever shown on a Ferrari chassis, the 166 got its name from the 166 cubic centimeters of capacity from each of its twelve cylinders. It is unknown if the car was featured in the television broadcast. - Thanks to Eric Minassian for the headsup!

This is from the Venture Bros. episode Venture Libre:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/tumblr_mo648vcwxH1rpbikxo10_400_zps13ac84bd.png

"Hank’s War Journal. Stardate 2112. Sleep would not come to me. The Jungle would not allow it. She has clutched me to her bountiful bossom and nourished me…which is kinda nice because I never had a mommy. But she demands a sacrifice in return. I vomited and diarrhea’d out whatever was left of my old life. My Hank’s run dry, I am but an empty vessel, waiting for the Jungle to fill me with new purpose. Only through her will I be reborn. But pray tell, what new Hank will emerge from her hot green womb? Yes mother…I shall become a bat."

On the pilot episode of 48 Hours, called "48 Hours on Crack Street" in 1986, a section of the song "Camera Eye" is playing in the background. "Tom Sawyer" is played in Rob Zombie's version of "Halloween" when a truck driver is pulling up to a gas station. The song "Mystic Rhythms" was used as a theme song on a news show called "1986". "Distant Early Warning" was played during the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games on a segment about the bicyclists.song
  • Like 2

Here's one I saw a while ago. Sanctuary, television series, aired April 22, 2011

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/references/SanctuaryRush.pngDuring the episode "Hangover" (season 3, episode 12), the Sanctuary server's new passcode is "GEDDYLEE". Dr. Magnus asks "Geddy Lee?" to which Henry responds, "the lead singer of Rush." Dr. Magnus then observes, "isn't that Will's favorite band?".

I would also mention the numerous times Rush songs were played during the Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tom Sawyer, Limelight and Subdivisions. Some were actually played by the organist ...