We got to use Mike Portnoy's drums!

Artilectband

Hey guys, Josiah here from Artilect, a progressive band from Jacksonville, Fl. We recently had the chance to go and record at prog rock legend Neal Morse's house studio and use Mike Portnoy's kit for recording! 653.gif It was a real surreal week for us, and we'd like to share it with all you out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2adKp25wxQY

Add us on Facebook and we will keep you posted on any updates! (facebook.com/Artilect)

QUOTE (Artilectband @ Sep 18 2012, 08:56 AM)
Hey guys, Josiah here from Artilect, a progressive band from Jacksonville, Fl. We recently had the chance to go and record at prog rock legend Neal Morse's house studio and use Mike Portnoy's kit for recording! 653.gif It was a real surreal week for us, and we'd like to share it with all you out there!

Add us on Facebook and we will keep you posted on any updates! (facebook.com/Artilect)

I am extremely jealous! I can't listen from work. I will check it out later. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Artilectband @ Sep 18 2012, 07:56 AM)

That must have been a blast!!

QUOTE (Artilectband @ Sep 18 2012, 09:56 PM)

Cool. How often/Where do you play in Jax? I should be headed there for Christmas to visit family and would dig a prog rock concert.

Thanks for the comments! (I'm the vocalist by the way.) The whole experience was really surreal for us. Both Mike and Neal Morse are huge inspirations to us musically, so when we heard that Neal's home studio was now open to the public, we made the phone call and booked it! I have to say, everyone we came in contact with at Radiant Studios, (Chris Thompson-Neal's manager; Jerry Guidroz-Neal and Mike's personal sound engineer for studio and the road; and Neal Morse himself) were all super welcoming and accomodating to us. The studio set up is unlike any I have ever been in, and Jerry is truly a mastermind at capturing a perfect, full drum sound. In my opinion, he's recorded the best drum sound Mike has ever had (Transatlantic-"The Whirlwind").

My drummer, Josh Hughes was of course enthralled to play behind the kit Mike's recorded 13 albums on, and he ended up only using his own snare and octobans aside from Mike's setup. I have to say, if you ever want to record a project I would HIGHLY reccomend using Radiant Studios!

We should be getting the master in a few weeks, when i do, i will post some links up for you guys to check out!

Sounds really good and looked like a pretty cool experience. Now here are the million dollar questions: How big of a Rush fan are you? Have you heard their new album and if so what do you think of it?

P.S. Looking forward to listening to your album.

Thanks for the interest! Whos is the moderator for this forum so I can request that?

And to answer the million dollar question, I have actually just recently been turned on to RUSH. I always had a hard time getting in to their older stuff, which I know sounds sacreligous, but for some reason I couldn't get into the vocals; probably because his range is far past mine, lol. The newer albums, specifically the last two, have unlocked the RUSH treasure trove for me, probably because I am a more mature listener now. I love Clockwork Angels, favorite track would probably be the Garden.

QUOTE (Artilectband @ Sep 19 2012, 09:53 PM)
And JohnnyBlaze, we play all the time in Jax...let me know in advance when you will be in town and we can definetely make sure to have a gig booked!

I'm trying for December 18-January 3rd but flights are ridiculously pricey (anywhere between 137,000-185,000 yen...you can figure out the dollar amount if you feel like saying, "Holy shit that's a lot!"). I've been working my travel agent like a slave this past week with all my inquiries so hopefully something decent will turn up. Anyway, hope to see you guys out there 1022.gif