Concerning a certain song off of Permanent Waves..

Alchemical

What reasoning is there for Jacob's Ladder to not have been brought back for all these years? Many of us thought it was a shoe-in for this tour with the added string quartet...

What do you think makes this song so difficult to play for the boys? Does it just not "feel" right for them to play anymore?

QUOTE (Flying Finn @ Sep 9 2012, 11:42 AM)
Maybe they aren't so proud of it. It's pretty simple song in Rush standards especially the synth solo sound very awkward showing Geddy's weak keyboard skills.

Still I'm amazed they haven't played it once after 80s so maybe they ever won't.

Awkward? That's one of the last adjectives I'd use to describe JL...and they rehearsed it for the TMT, so clearly it's not an issue of pride.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 07:44 PM)
Maybe they aren't so proud of it. It's pretty simple song in Rush standards especially the synth solo sound very awkward showing Geddy's weak keyboard skills.

Still I'm amazed they haven't played it once after 80s so maybe they ever won't.

Awkward? That's one of the last adjectives I'd use to describe JL...and they rehearsed it for the TMT, so clearly it's not an issue of pride.

Whole song isn't def awkward but the synth solo is too simple and kinda mood killer for me. No, it doesn't have to be anything Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman would have played but still something better. The ending is very cool though when Alex's guitar kicks in.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 11:44 AM)

They rehearsed for TTMT, but they felt it didn't age well. I guess we'll have to keep requesting it until they finally give in and play it again like The Camera Eye. Anyway, I'm surprised it hasn't been played in over 30 years as well. Its really a great song!

yes.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 11:44 AM)

The fact that they rehearsed it and didn't play it probably tells the whole story; they simply do not feel it and aren't keen on playing it. They gave it a shot, but it didn't work out. It sucks, but there it is.

There's zero mystery to this or reason to speculate, they tried it during last tour's rehearsals and they simply weren't into it. Obviously, we should assume they wouldn't have changed their opinion completely only one tour later.

Neil talked specifically about it on his recent instructional dvd:

That's why I can't understand all the anticipation for it this time considering Neil's comments. It's just wasn't realistic.

Edited by snowdog2112