snowdogged

Opening with Natural Science  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Opening with Natural Science

• It would be amazing
    • It'd Alright
    • Would suck!
    • Polls are for Treeduck

I think if they opened with Natural Science it would be amazing! It will probably never happen but would be great if it did. What do you think?

Sorry, I left a word out in the poll but I can't edit it.

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Sep 1 2012, 10:59 PM)
It's arguably their greatest album closer, and it has worked well as a set closer, so I'd keep it in a closing role. It takes a bit too long to get going to be a great show opener.

Yeah, but I like trippy openings. I'd much prefer a trippy opening than the comedy stuff that they do.

The only way this song would work as an opener is if the soft part is played over the PA as an intro. The stage is dark with perhaps a video playing during it and then when the fast part kicks in the light go on.

It wouldn't be wise for them to come on stage and play the soft part to start the show. Everyone in the crowd is pumped and cheering their heads off because the show is about to start, then Alex comes out and starts playing the intro would deflate the crowd so fast. But using the soft part as an intro while everything is still dark creates a better atmosphere and makes the fast part more impactful.

If done right it could be great but it doesn't really have that opener feel to it at all.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 1 2012, 11:32 PM)
I think if they opened with Natural Science it would be amazing! It will probably never happen but would be great if it did. What do you think?

Sorry, I left a word out in the poll but I can't edit it.

Yeah it would be amazing, but guess what....they're not.

Would suck. I think rock shows need to start off with a good 3 short, strong, driving rock songs to get the crowd going. Rush has always lived by this rule. Starting it off with a long song is just the worst thing they could possibly do IMO, and they would NEVER do it.

I think this would be a great idea if it had been brought back for almost 20 years off. Hearing Natural Science resurrected during the T4E after the drum solo, without knowing the setlist in advance is one of the best surprises.

Hemispheres Prelude would be a nice surprise as an opener with the full section since its been nearly as long since the Counterparts tour.

But they have their own tour rituals that need to be in place for whatever reason.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Sep 1 2012, 10:59 PM)
It's arguably their greatest album closer, and it has worked well as a set closer, so I'd keep it in a closing role. It takes a bit too long to get going to be a great show opener.

Its a great closer, it might work in the middle of a set as well but I don't really see it as a starter. The Intro is way to slow.

cool.gif