Amazing new crop circle

treeduck

Hackpen Hill (3), nr Broad Hinton. Wiltshire. Reported 26th August.

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2012/hackpenhill3/6259-HackpenObl.jpg

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2012/hackpenhill3/6254-HackpenOb.jpg

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2012/hackpenhill3/6184Hackpen3OH.jpg

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2012/hackpenhill3/6184-Hackpen3OH.jpg

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2012/hackpenhill3/6193-HackpenHorse.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 02:34 PM)

I wonder how many people it took to make this in the dead of night.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 26 2012, 03:09 PM)
Also: I don't believe there's other intelligent life out there... Certainly not in the Milky Way. Sorry Frank Drake!

You don't like the Drake Equation? tongue.gif

Even if they were out there, how would they know we're here? Not to mention the fact that it would take an interminable amount of time for them to get here.

Anyway, people who think crop circles are made by extraterrestrials are just nuts!

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 01:38 PM)
Also: I don't believe there's other intelligent life out there... Certainly not in the Milky Way. Sorry Frank Drake!

Even if they were out there, how would they know we're here? Not to mention the fact that it would take an interminable amount of time for them to get here.

Anyway, people who think crop circles are made by extraterrestrials are just nuts!

The DRAKE equation is fine, perhaps I just am in denial of sort. I haven't looked into the studies behind it enough to know the credibility of the predictions. The Milky Way is what, 106 Light Years long? And we're somewhere on the outer middle... You're right, it would take a lifetime to travel this place, so if there is life outside of this galaxy it's humanly impossible to travel that far... I mean, unless we find a way to prolong human life in the next few millenniums. The Drake equation suggests there a lot of intelligent life out there, but we've sent out signals (Hey Jude) and still have seen no signs. No one has tried to contact us either.

I'm by no means an educated astronomer, I dropped out of the class in fact laugh.gif (though I might take it again, and if not I still have the 10 dollar text book I'm keeping to read on a rainy day) but I don't believe there is any other form of intelligent life in the Milky Way for a few reasons.

Stephen Hawking on intelligent life:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/...gical-life.html

Edited by Mr. IsNot

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 12:40 PM)

laugh.gif

The funny thing is, whenever you see people who try and recreate crop circles to show them as a hoax, they always look horribly clumsy compared to the actual crop circles. I can't imagine the kind of operation it would take for a bunch of hoaxers to make a design this intricate and beautiful and mathematically perfect in one night without waking the entire countryside.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2012, 03:41 PM)

laugh.gif

The funny thing is, whenever you see people who try and recreate crop circles to show them as a hoax, they always look horribly clumsy compared to the actual crop circles. I can't imagine the kind of operation it would take for a bunch of hoaxers to make a design this intricate and beautiful and mathematically perfect in one night without waking the entire countryside.

Humans are pretty smart.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 26 2012, 05:31 PM)
The Milky Way is what, 106 Light Years long? And we're somewhere on the outer middle... You're right, it would take a lifetime to travel this place,

A bit more than a lifetime...

The Voyager spacecraft is traveling away from the Sun at a rate of 17.3 km/s. If Voyager were to travel to the center of our Galaxy, it would take more than 450,000,000 years to travel the 8 kpc. If it could travel at the speed of light, an impossibility due to Special Relativity, it would still take over 26,000 years to arrive!

At 17.3 km/s, it would take Voyager over 1,700,000,000 years to traverse the entire length of the Milky Way Galaxy. Even traveling at the speed of light, it would take nearly a hundred thousand years!

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 26 2012, 03:44 PM)

laugh.gif

Humans are pretty smart.

They are. They come up with any number of wild and complex explanations to reason away things they can't understand because they're unwilling to accept the possibility that something might exist beyond their ability to rationally conceptualize. In this they are very intelligent and highly adept. It's actually quite astounding. wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 03:51 PM)
The Milky Way is what, 106 Light Years long? And we're somewhere on the outer middle... You're right, it would take a lifetime to travel this place,

The Voyager spacecraft is traveling away from the Sun at a rate of 17.3 km/s. If Voyager were to travel to the center of our Galaxy, it would take more than 450,000,000 years to travel the 8 kpc. If it could travel at the speed of light, an impossibility due to Special Relativity, it would still take over 26,000 years to arrive!

At 17.3 km/s, it would take Voyager over 1,700,000,000 years to traverse the entire length of the Milky Way Galaxy. Even traveling at the speed of light, it would take nearly a hundred thousand years!

This is of course assuming that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, because of course nothing can exist that can't be proven scientifically with the information we presently have at hand. The world is still flat, just as scientists have always believed based on the unchanging information that has always existed. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2012, 05:53 PM)

This is of course assuming that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, because of course nothing can exist that can't be proven scientifically with the information we presently have at hand. The world is still flat, just as scientists have always believed based on the unchanging information that has always existed. wink.gif

Aye...

And there are many sun-like stars that are millions of years older than Sol. Imagine where we will be in 10 million years, imagine us in 10 thousand. And would a civilization 10 million years more advanced than our own bother to try to communicate with us? Would we try to communicate with an anthill? Would the ants realise they were being contacted?

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 01:38 PM)

The DRAKE equation is fine, perhaps I just am in denial of sort. I haven't looked into the studies behind it enough to know the credibility of the predictions. The Milky Way is what, 106 Light Years long? And we're somewhere on the outer middle... You're right, it would take a lifetime to travel this place, so if there is life outside of this galaxy it's humanly impossible to travel that far... I mean, unless we find a way to prolong human life in the next few millenniums. The Drake equation suggests there a lot of intelligent life out there, but we've sent out signals (Hey Jude) and still have seen no signs. No one has tried to contact us either.

I'm by no means an educated astronomer, I dropped out of the class in fact laugh.gif (though I might take it again, and if not I still have the 10 dollar text book I'm keeping to read on a rainy day) but I don't believe there is any other form of intelligent life in the Milky Way for a few reasons.

Stephen Hawking on intelligent life:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/...gical-life.html

If they exist, advanced civilizations (as we define them), are probably so widely separated in space and time that they would never know of the existence of each other. Considering the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across, we probably shouldn't concern ourselves with being visited --unless they know something about the laws of physics we don't?!

There has been a lot of criticism of the Drake Equation. It makes far too many assumptions.

AlienSmiley.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 05:59 PM)

Aye...

And there are many sun-like stars that are millions of years older than Sol. Imagine where we will be in 10 million years, imagine us in 10 thousand. And would a civilization 10 million years more advanced than our own bother to try to communicate with us? Would we try to communicate with an anthill? Would the ants realise they were being contacted?

Homo sapiens will be extinct in 10 million years.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 06:04 PM)

Aye...

On earth maybe...

Aye...

And...

Homo sapiens if they are extinct, will just have given way to a superior competitor...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 06:06 PM)

Aye...

On earth maybe...

As long as we don't turn the planet into an uninhabitable wasteland before we figure out how to get outta here!

wink.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 06:06 PM)

Aye...

On earth maybe...

As long as we don't turn the planet into an uninhabitable wasteland before we figure out how to get outta here!

wink.gif

At the end of the day though we're here now, the ants on our anthill...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 26 2012, 06:44 PM)

laugh.gif

Humans are pretty smart.

what makes anyone think this was done in one night? There isn;t people flying around looking for these things so it could be done over days or nights.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 26 2012, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 26 2012, 06:44 PM)

laugh.gif

Humans are pretty smart.

what makes anyone think this was done in one night? There isn;t people flying around looking for these things so it could be done over days or nights.

The farmer will probably notice a gang of men with planks and spirit levels...

tongue.gif