Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 28 2007, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Jan 28 2007, 06:36 PM)
Gish-Smashing Pumpkins

great album new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Fo sho. Can't wait for the new album/tour this year.

What else do you have of theirs?

I have Gish through Adore and MACHINA II/The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music..

Can't wait for my first SP concert 1022.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 3 2007, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Feb 3 2007, 04:02 PM)
U2 - Achtung Baby
Jeff Buckley - Grace

Tell me what you think of these two. Both would easily make my all-time Top 10 albums list.

Achtung, while it is the best of the four U2 albums I own (Boy, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and All That You Can't Leave Behind), falls into that same U2 formula of having a string of great songs over most of the first half of the album and then being mostly filler in the second half. Overall, though, it's good.

I'm listening to Grace right now. It's good. I like it. Very unique, expressive voice, although the Leonard Cohen cover "Hallelujah" is probably my favorite on the album so far.

As for the other three...

The Visitor is a pretty solid album. It's not really excellent or anything, but a few tracks had me quite impressed ("The Hanging Tree", "Enemy Without", "Running From Damascus") and overall it's a very good work.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway has nice pieces, but it's far too long and it feels much too much like a Gabriel vanity project. Overall, I think it's just too pretentious and not human enough.

Dreamwalker is a great album and I definitely recommend it. It's half-studio, half-live (or at least that's my understanding of it) and all good. Very good album for anyone who is into worldbeat or South American rhythm and guitar.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Feb 5 2007, 04:17 AM)
Just bought Black Holes & Revelations by Muse...from the iTunes Store. I feel kind of dirty, but it's less expensive than buying it for real and it is a risk purchase. So far, though, I'm enjoying it.

Let me know how you get on with that one, 2006' best release IMO and in my top 3 all time.

Yes - Tormato

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Steve Hillage - Fish Rising (remastered): I Implore all of you to go out and buy this masterful slice of psychedelic prog. If enough people go out and but it, it might encorage the Gliss Meister General to emerge from the ambient trance scene and ROCK out again.

QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Feb 5 2007, 10:59 PM)
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising (remastered): I Implore all of you to go out and buy this masterful slice of psychedelic prog. If enough people go out and but it, it might encorage the Gliss Meister General to emerge from the ambient trance scene and ROCK out again.

He's already considering it anyway, no need to keep buying it.

And his ambient/trance stuff is so much better than his psych-prog.

Black Holes & Revelations is one of those albums that is completely bizarre and unlike anything else, yet familiar and not alienating. It reminds me of Juluka, Johnny Clegg & Savuka, The Decemberists, and Supertramp in that regard; it's a wild blend of things that--by all means--should not work together...but they do, and it hooks the listener and then takes them on a voyage through weird and wonderful. I recommend it. It's...alternative electronica dance neo-progressive rock. Weird. But awesome.

I got Radiation by Marillion and Everyday and Busted Stuff by Dave Matthews Band today. Radiation is kind of meh, although "Three Minute Boy", "These Chains", "Born to Run", and "A Few Words for the Dead" are pretty good (not the best in their catalogue, by any means, but definitely worth having). I haven't listened to Everyday yet. Busted Stuff is very good, very consistent, and "Grey Street" has to be one of my favorite songs of the last five years.

Today I got Mnemic's 'Passengers' album. What an almightly slab of in your face cyber/powergroove Metal!!! Awesome!

Also got Army of Anyone's album finally. One of the best straight out Rock albums I've heard for a while.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Feb 8 2007, 07:16 AM)
Black Holes & Revelations is one of those albums that is completely bizarre and unlike anything else, yet familiar and not alienating. It reminds me of Juluka, Johnny Clegg & Savuka, The Decemberists, and Supertramp in that regard; it's a wild blend of things that--by all means--should not work together...but they do, and it hooks the listener and then takes them on a voyage through weird and wonderful. I recommend it. It's...alternative electronica dance neo-progressive rock. Weird. But awesome.

I got Radiation by Marillion and Everyday and Busted Stuff by Dave Matthews Band today. Radiation is kind of meh, although "Three Minute Boy", "These Chains", "Born to Run", and "A Few Words for the Dead" are pretty good (not the best in their catalogue, by any means, but definitely worth having). I haven't listened to Everyday yet. Busted Stuff is very good, very consistent, and "Grey Street" has to be one of my favorite songs of the last five years.

Glad you enjoyed that one, and that has to be the best description of it. Apart from my own, which was 'Bloody Fantastic'

As for me;

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition

The Hours - Narcissus Road - I Highly recommend this one.

Filled a few holes today:

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

REM - Document

The Roots - Illadelph Halflife

The Roots - Things Call Apart

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

Got African Litany by Juluka as another iTunes purchase. I'm debating whether I should go for Scatterlings now...African Litany's awfully good, even if it doesn't quite beat Universal Men or Work for All. Edited by Kudzu

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 16 2007, 03:39 AM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Feb 14 2007, 01:54 AM)
The Velvet Underground-Loaded

What a great album. Stuffed with amazing tracks.

New Age!!!

Oh, Sweet Nuthin'!!

I Found A Reason!

Sweet Jane!!

Rock'n'Roll!

God, it's brilliant. I hope you like it.

Yep, It's awesome. I may just get more of their CD's

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Feb 17 2007, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 16 2007, 03:39 AM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Feb 14 2007, 01:54 AM)
The Velvet Underground-Loaded

What a great album. Stuffed with amazing tracks.

New Age!!!

Oh, Sweet Nuthin'!!

I Found A Reason!

Sweet Jane!!

Rock'n'Roll!

God, it's brilliant. I hope you like it.

Yep, It's awesome. I may just get more of their CD's

If you haven't got their seminal debut "The Velvet Underground and Nico", get it next. Then go for "The Velvet Undergroud", their 3rd, 1st without John Cale.

"White Light, White Heat", like Guinness and Oysters, is an acquired taste, but worth persevering with.

Their last album "Squeeze" is crap.

"Can I have your autograph, he said to the fat, blond actress".