RUSH EVOLUTION

SUBDIVISIONS

I've always thought of the band's discography in similar terms, though my analysis is different than yours. I don't see the huge shift from 2112 to AFtK, I see a bigger shift in MP to Signals, I don't see PoW as a huge shift (more an incremental one started with Signals), I see a Presto as the start of the guitar and RTB as the album doing it with songs that are much stronger. Also, I don't see the influence of FB on S&A.

Great post, though.

Very interesting.... You are very nicely describing events following an evolutionary concept known as punctuated equilibrium. This model states that while that small changes occur gradually, large changes occur fairly abruptly.

Instead of "ice breakers", these major stylistic transition zones could also be termed "paradigm shifts" (or game changers?).

So, you could say that the paradigm shifts in Rush music occurred between 2112-AFTK, Hemi-PerW, GUP-PowW, Presto-RTB, T4E-VT. With the Hemi-PerW, GUP-PowW, and T4E-VT transitions being the most overt and dramatic.

One could make arguments for any of these three being the greatest.

I would argue that Rush doesn't really count, they were playing similar music before (Garden Road and Bad Boys sound pretty similar).

Edited by Animate

QUOTE (LedRush @ Jul 31 2012, 01:03 PM)
I've always thought of the band's discography in similar terms, though my analysis is different than yours. I don't see the huge shift from 2112 to AFtK, I see a bigger shift in MP to Signals, I don't see PoW as a huge shift (more an incremental one started with Signals), I see a Presto as the start of the guitar and RTB as the album doing it with songs that are much stronger. Also, I don't see the influence of FB on S&A.

Great post, though.

The the OP: good post, as well!

And I agree with LedRush - as I was reading the first post, those same things struck me: the greater difference between MP and Sig, and the less difference between 2112 and AFTK.

I agree completely. I've been listening since the mid 1970s. At first, I couldn't put a name to it, but I categorized albums as either "becoming" (they're brainstorming something, but it ain't perfected yet) or "arrived". I guess all of us on TRF could argue 'til the end of time about which albums fit into the breakthrough category, but it's definitely a pattern. I do think CA was an "arrival" where S&A they were just working up to it.

I was watching the "A Show of Hands" DVD for the first time last night and, wow, it's strange seeing them back then. It was, of course, a GREAT concert but then I gave CA a spin again today and it's just an evolution from the HYF/PW days.

Can't wait to see what's next.

BTW: Candide and The Secret Agent arrived today. I'm stoked.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 31 2012, 09:23 PM)
I agree completely. I've been listening since the mid 1970s. At first, I couldn't put a name to it, but I categorized albums as either "becoming" (they're brainstorming something, but it ain't perfected yet) or "arrived". I guess all of us on TRF could argue 'til the end of time about which albums fit into the breakthrough category, but it's definitely a pattern. I do think CA was an "arrival" where S&A they were just working up to it.

I was watching the "A Show of Hands" DVD for the first time last night and, wow, it's strange seeing them back then. It was, of course, a GREAT concert but then I gave CA a spin again today and it's just an evolution from the HYF/PW days.

Can't wait to see what's next.

BTW: Candide and The Secret Agent arrived today. I'm stoked.

goodpost.gif I agree.

I'll be interested on your take on Candide. I found it very deep and pertinent.

Happy reading! Enjoy! trink39.gif

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Jul 31 2012, 11:31 AM)
So in that perspective, someone who don't know the RUSH discography could listen to this records:

RUSH, AFTK, PW, PW, RTB, and VT and maybe aside the voice could think that are total different bands

But I would never recommend someone actually listen to RTB.

Seriously though, nice ideas. I would suggest this group of albums: Rush, FBN, 'Spheres, MP, HYF, CP and CA. These sound nothing alike.

I met RUSH with PRESTO

My first "click" song was RED TIDE

"This is not a false alarm, this is not a test"

I recall that as one of my greatest music moments

Later my ear could dive and enjoy the whole PRESTO

And then I was set on a quest to know RUSH

Ever since

I have been trying to get more of the "PRESTO effect"

Totally naive I went to a music shop asking for RUSH and someone put in my hand two audio cassetes...

SIGNALS and 2112

It has nothing to do with PRESTO, first time I played 2112 sound ackward to me, like mamas and papas stuff, back from 1976, It took some time to "understand" the epic simphony.

But SIGNALS caught me immediatly, and then I started joining the dots to have the whole picture of their discography.

I love the whole catalog, But I guess I never got more PRESTO, that particular stage is the most special to me, that band, that moment, never happen again.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 31 2012, 10:28 PM)
So in that perspective, someone who don't know the RUSH discography could listen to this records:

RUSH, AFTK, PW, PW, RTB, and VT and maybe aside the voice could think that are total different bands

Seriously though, nice ideas. I would suggest this group of albums: Rush, FBN, 'Spheres, MP, HYF, CP and CA. These sound nothing alike.

You would suggest someone listen to Counterparts, but steer them away from RTB?

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 1 2012, 06:08 PM)

Though I do like your idea as well.

I'd go with Rush, Hemispheres, MP, PoW, RTB, T4E, VT and CA as albums that don't sound similar, except for vocals (to non-Rush fans).

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 1 2012, 06:08 PM)

Well yes because RTB sucks balls and CP is pretty good. But here's the problem, that whole run from Presto - T4E was just rather weak.

Honestly I would jump from HYF to VT to CA and just forget those others.