What Went Wrong?

HigherWater

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jul 25 2012, 11:24 AM)
Thanks to EVERYONE for their replies to this thread. While I strongly disagree with those that believe there is value in overreaching criticism on this message board, I respect their right to vent.
I still have to wonder, "WHY?" Why do people who have hated EVERYTHING Rush has done for the last 20 years stay on this message board. Clearly y'all have moved on--Good for you! Perhaps someone should start a "ClassicRush.com" message board. Then they can happily live in the past without killing the buzz of those of us who still enjoy what Rush has to offer.
Are you all waiting for a return to MP form? Because it's not going to happen.

As someone who has said less than kind things about Rush in this thread I offer the following:

There are some of us, like myself, who are disappointed with the direction the band took in the 90's. I don't think it's controversial to say that the albums released in the 90's are the low point in the Rush discography. There are a few good songs on each of those albums, but for the most part I don't like them. Some of us just state our criticism in a less than diplomatic manner, and a few people on this board take that criticism far too personally.

As for CA, it's a very good album. I really like about half the songs, the rest are average, at best. It's a solid rock album. No more. No less.

There are some people here who seem to drop snarky comments on every other thread for the sole purpose of eliciting a response. I don't see the point, and I couldn't care less.

I don't think anyone here truly hates everything Rush has done in the past 20 years. If that's the case, they probably shouldn't be here.

bekloppt.gif

goodpost.gif

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 25 2012, 12:58 PM)
Thanks to EVERYONE for their replies to this thread. While I strongly disagree with those that believe there is value in overreaching criticism on this message board, I respect their right to vent.
I still have to wonder, "WHY?" Why do people who have hated EVERYTHING Rush has done for the last 20 years stay on this message board. Clearly y'all have moved on--Good for you! Perhaps someone should start a "ClassicRush.com" message board. Then they can happily live in the past without killing the buzz of those of us who still enjoy what Rush has to offer.

As someone who has said less than kind things about Rush in this thread I offer the following:

There are some of us, like myself, who are disappointed with the direction the band took in the 90's. I don't think it's controversial to say that the albums released in the 90's are the low point in the Rush discography. There are a few good songs on each of those albums, but for the most part I don't like them. Some of us just state our criticism in a less than diplomatic manner, and a few people on this board take that criticism far too personally.

As for CA, it's a very good album. I really like about half the songs, the rest are average, at best. It's a solid rock album. No more. No less.

There are some people here who seem to drop snarky comments on every other thread for the sole purpose of eliciting a response. I don't see the point, and I couldn't care less.

I don't think anyone here truly hates everything Rush has done in the past 20 years. If that's the case, they probably shouldn't be here.

bekloppt.gif

goodpost.gif

Hey Tombstone bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 25 2012, 12:58 PM)

bekloppt.gif

goodpost.gif

Hey Tombstone bekloppt.gif

Dude...I got the pics of the morels...on the way!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 25 2012, 08:25 AM)
What i don't get is why people get up in arms when someone DARE Criticize CA....it's unbelievable.  Just cause we don't share your rah-rah attitude.  Granted the album's not horrible.....but it's far from a masterpiece.  Now is that the definitive opinion...no.  But it's an opinion, we all have one....get over it

Mick

Uh, we're expressing our opinion just like you are.

We post to say, "I really like Clockwork Angels" and then you chime in with "CA is pretty mediocre."

Then you post to say "CA is a sub-par effort" and we say "CA is their best since CP."

Right? confused13.gif

Or should negative opinions be allowed no comment or feedback? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 25 2012, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 25 2012, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 25 2012, 11:33 AM)
John has just a little suggestion for any person, anyone, at all that dislikes anything having to do with Rush, or has complaints about songs by Rush:

Here's John:

http://i2.listal.com/image/1236720/600full-johnny-cash.jpg

love that one. we have that poster hanging up at work. biggrin.gif

Good. Everytime you post on TRF while at work, look at Johnny. laugh.gif

he says hello to you also.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 25 2012, 07:51 AM)
What I don't understand is why people bother to hate.  I don't think I will EVER understand that.  Why do people get so attached to things they feel negative about that they will devote so much time and energy to wallowing in that negativity and trying the best they can to pass it on to other people?  Life is too f***ing short.

Different strokes for different folks, but I'm glad that I'm the kind of person who would prefer to spend most of her time thinking about things she loves that make her happy rather than things she hates that activate her choler.

Possibly because the "haters" LOVE Rush as much as the "lovers" do. When they get disappointed by the album, for whatever reason, its hard to just go away and not talk about the album?

I completely agree with the sentiment of not just showing up to spew hate. Its certainly poor form. With this album my issue is the abysmal sound quality. Whenever the topic is brought up, its hard not to join the conversation. I don't think I've ever started a thread about it, much less a hate one. But when I comment, the "lovers" are all over it, immediately, as if they just can't tolerate anyone criticizing their beloved, perfect band. I find their relentless defense as funny as they find me infuriating.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

Even the Counterparts Forum is mostly positive about the new record. I never thought I would see the day. wink.gif I almost feel sorry for those of you that don't like it. For the rest of us we get to enjoy one of Rush's best records at the finish line of their career.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 25 2012, 06:31 PM)
Even the Counterparts Forum is mostly positive about the new record. I never thought I would see the day. wink.gif I almost feel sorry for those of you that don't like it. For the rest of us we get to enjoy one of Rush's best records at the finish line of their career.

Chest bump and a high five!!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 25 2012, 06:40 PM)
Its not called growth at this stage.  Their life cycle is much like that of bacteria
http://www.terry.ubc.ca/wp-content/uploads/bacterial-growth-curve2.jpg

Bacterial growth curve: a lag phase; an exponential phase, or period of rapid growth; a stationary phase, which occurs when nutrients (creativity) finally become limiting; and finally, a death phase, which occurs when the supply of available nutrients (creativity) have been exhausted.

I have to admit... I got a kick out of this. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Jul 25 2012, 06:08 PM)
You must be new to Rush rofl3.gif CA is a fine album, but it is not nearly as good as the CoS -> MP era.

He works in the Rush marketing department...