Why did Caress of Steel nearly derail Rush???

DBJetsman

It's probably the most underated album in music history. Every song is effing awesome. Why was it such a bust back then?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did what they do best: they made excellent music and weren't blackmailed by society or authority. That's what they've done since and it has been awesome.

It was a raw, dark conceptual record with intelligent lyrics and screeching vocals, written and recorded without any commercial considerations or concessions by a new band that had barely established itself. But they did capture a unique atmosphere and a certain magic and I agree it is awesome...every minute of it! I've got a little more than 30 albums released in 1975 (and over the years have heard/owned several others) and not many I would rate above Caress of Steel - maybe 2 or 3 at the most.

It was really ambitious for a new band few had heard of. It didn't follow the trend set by 2.gif and FBN. The record companies didn't like it, old fans weren't into it and it won them very few new fans, or at least not enough to replace those who had jumped ship. It cost money to make, and didn't sell a lot in return and the ticket sales for the tour were way less than expected.

Sluggish record sales. Poor tour turn out. Unhappy record company and fans and a band comprised of young kids questioning their and their bands future...That's what almost derailed 2.gif .

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 17 2012, 04:50 AM)
It was really ambitious for a new band few had heard of. It didn't follow the trend set by 2.gif and FBN. The record companies didn't like it, old fans weren't into it and it won them very few new fans, or at least not enough to replace those who had jumped ship. It cost money to make, and didn't sell a lot in return and the ticket sales for the tour were way less than expected.

Sluggish record sales. Poor tour turn out. Unhappy record company and fans and a band comprised of young kids questioning their and their bands future...That's what almost derailed 2.gif .

This. And it surely wasn't commerical enough, with a song that could be played on the radio, and the narration in 'The Necromancer' probably didn't help.

Speaking of 'The Necromancer' - this one has been popping up a lot on my randomned [sure, that's a word!] ipod, and I've really gotten into it! I'm surprised at how little actual singing there is, considering the length of the song, but the music is just awesome. And Geddy's voice just rocks. I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I start getting tired of this song! wub.gif

And I'm kind of saddened to hear in interviews or articles that Rush isn't that pleased with Caress of Steel in retrospect - I think it's a good achievement and they should be proud of it. Maybe their musical sensibilities have grown and changed over the years, but it's still kind of sad to think that something that they were once so pleased with brings not-so-great memories for them.

COS has so much brilliance in it.

Neil has a funny statement about COS in his book Roadshow, something along the lines of...

"Rush solds 125,000 albums and they (e.g. the record companies) called it a promising debut, Fly by Night sold 125,000 albums and they called it a solid follow up, Caress of Steel sold 125,000 albums and they called it a dog"

It had two songs with a lot of commercial potential - Bastille Day, and especially the vastly underrated Lakeside Park. IMHO Lakeside Park should have been a massive hit.

Other than that, it's got one pretty stupid song (I Think I'm Going Bald), one song that could have been great but was killed with the narration (The Necromancer) and a very long song that I personally love, but isn't exactly the most instantly accessible track (Fountain). It took me 20 years to really get into and love The Fountain of Lamneth.

Overall, I could see how it could come off as a bit pretentious and difficult to penetrate to the casual listener at the time. For me it's their weakest album overall from the whole 1974-1987 period, even though it's got some truly great material on it. It's one of their harder albums to get into.

Here are some of the #1 songs in the U.S. in 1975:

"Mandy" - Barry Manilow

"Please Mr. Postman" - The Carpenters

"Have You Never Been Mellow" - Olivia Newton-John

"Lovin' You" - Minnie Riperton

"Philadelphia Freedom" - Elton John

"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" - John Denver

"Love Will Keep Us Together" - Captain & Tennille

"Jive Talkin'" - Bee Gees

"Fame" - David Bowie

"Black Water" - The Doobie Brothers

Now, not all of that is crap imho (Fame & Black Water for example). But when Jive Talkin' makes it to #1, The Fountain of Lamneth has no chance in hell.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 17 2012, 05:55 AM)
"Mandy" - Barry Manilow
"Fame" - David Bowie

Now, not all of that is crap imho (Fame & Black Water for example). But when Jive Talkin' makes it to #1, The Fountain of Lamneth has no chance in hell.

I still maintain that if people (and by people I mean the general music listening public) had a tad more imagination, and if the song was really pushed properly, Lakeside Park could have and should have been a massive hit - not a #1 per se, but top 10. yes.gif

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jul 17 2012, 05:20 AM)
It's probably the most underated album in music history. Every song is effing awesome. Why was it such a bust back then?

For me, it's always been awesone! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It is their best 70's record bar none, IMO. I remember being blown away by COS....then getting to 2112, and being slightly let down. after COS, IMO they had bright spots but they did not really kick up again until Permanent Waves.

So yes....adore COS. It may well be they're most underrated record.....Certainly one of they're very best to me wub.gif 1022.gif

Mick

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 04:44 AM)
Other than that, it's got one pretty stupid song (I Think I'm Going Bald)

I Think I'm Going Bald and STUPID in the same sentence?! I think it's the BEST song on the album...

2.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 17 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 17 2012, 04:50 AM)
It was really ambitious for a new band few had heard of. It didn't follow the trend set by  2.gif and FBN. The record companies didn't like it, old fans weren't into it and it won them very few new fans, or at least not enough to replace those who had jumped ship. It cost money to make, and didn't sell a lot in return and the ticket sales for the tour were way less than expected.

Sluggish record sales. Poor tour turn out. Unhappy record company and fans and a band comprised of young kids questioning their and their bands future...That's what almost derailed  2.gif  .

This. And it surely wasn't commerical enough, with a song that could be played on the radio, and the narration in 'The Necromancer' probably didn't help.

Speaking of 'The Necromancer' - this one has been popping up a lot on my randomned [sure, that's a word!] ipod, and I've really gotten into it! I'm surprised at how little actual singing there is, considering the length of the song, but the music is just awesome. And Geddy's voice just rocks. I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I start getting tired of this song! wub.gif

And I'm kind of saddened to hear in interviews or articles that Rush isn't that pleased with Caress of Steel in retrospect - I think it's a good achievement and they should be proud of it. Maybe their musical sensibilities have grown and changed over the years, but it's still kind of sad to think that something that they were once so pleased with brings not-so-great memories for them.

Yes. They weren't doing what every other band was doing in 1975. Therefore, they were shat upon. I'm glad they've kept doing it their way over the years 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 08:12 AM)
"Mandy" - Barry Manilow
"Fame" - David Bowie

I still maintain that if people (and by people I mean the general music listening public) had a tad more imagination, and if the song was really pushed properly, Lakeside Park could have and should have been a massive hit - not a #1 per se, but top 10. yes.gif

I've always thought this too. It's relatively short, fun and very catchy.

QUOTE (av450 @ Jul 17 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 08:12 AM)
"Mandy" - Barry Manilow
"Fame" - David Bowie

I've always thought this too. It's relatively short, fun and very catchy.

It's also a moving sentimental song and very accessible. It's got hit potential written all over it.

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jul 17 2012, 09:18 AM)

I Think I'm Going Bald and STUPID in the same sentence?! I think it's the BEST song on the album...

2.gif

Sorry dude, I can't get past those lyrics. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 12:58 PM)

2.gif

It's a metal gem!

1022.gif

I was way too young to be listening to music in 1975 but I think it's more than a coincidence that Genesis had the same troubles in 1974-5. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour was plagued with poor attendance and I heard the album didn't sell that well either. I don't know if people were getting tired of progressive rock or what the deal was.

Also I don't know how much Rush could be blamed for bad concert ticket sales, weren't they still just an opening group at this time? I think they opened for Kiss when CoS came out. I would put CoS somewhere around #5 in all time Rush albums, there's a lot of good stuff on it. They really need to bring back the By-Tor/The Necromancer medley live, that was absolutely fantastic!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 17 2012, 01:00 PM)

2.gif

It's a metal gem!

1022.gif

u r funny treeduck! Treeduck Metal Album, to include ITIGB and excerpts from HYF!

Really, lyrics to I Think Im Going Bald are not that bad, except for that all important first refrain... The first refrain just killed the song totally for most people.

I looked in the mirror today;

My eyes just didn't seem so bright.

I've lost a few more hairs.

I think I'm going bald,

I think I'm going bald.

Especially the delivery of the last line is just not appetizing at all.

Get beyond this and it is actually a pretty decent song, great riff and guitar. Lyrics cover the same themes of growing older, getting experienced, loosing youth and innocence that are covered in many songs, all the way up to CA.

Same theme as in Time Stand Still, Making Memories...

Seems like only yesterday

We would sit and talk of dreams all night,

Dreams of youth and simple truths.

Now we're all so involved,

So involved with life.

I walk down vanity fair,

Memory lane ev'rywhere

Wall Stree shuffles there,

Dressed in flowing hair.

Once we loved the flowers,

Now we ask the price of the land.

Once we would take water,

But now it must be wine.

Now we've been and now we've seen

What price peace of mind.

Take a piece of my mind.

My life is slipping away.

I'm aging every day.

But even when I'm grey,

I'll still be grey my way

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 17 2012, 01:50 PM)

2.gif

It's a metal gem!

1022.gif

u r funny treeduck! Treeduck Metal Album, to include ITIGB and excerpts from HYF!

Really, lyrics to I Think Im Going Bald are not that bad, except for that all important first refrain... The first refrain just killed the song totally for most people.

I think I'm going bald,

I think I'm going bald.

Get beyond this and it is actually a pretty decent song, great riff and guitar. Lyrics cover the same themes of growing older, getting experienced, loosing youth and innocence that are covered in many songs, all the way up to CA.

So involved with life.

I walk down vanity fair,

Memory lane ev'rywhere

Dressed in flowing hair.

But now it must be wine.

Now we've been and now we've seen

What price peace of mind.

Take a piece of my mind.

My life is slipping away.

I'm aging every day.

But even when I'm grey,

I'll still be grey my way

sorry, but 062802puke_prv.gif

no.gif

2.gif

It's a metal gem!

1022.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 17 2012, 03:50 PM)

2.gif

It's a metal gem!

1022.gif

I think I'm going bald,

I think I'm going bald.

So involved with life.

I walk down vanity fair,

Memory lane ev'rywhere

Dressed in flowing hair.