Where does Counterparts rank among Rush's albums?

LedRush

Counterparts rank among Rush albums?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Counterparts rank among Rush albums?

• Rush's best album.
    • One of Rush's 5 best albums.
    • Among the top 50% of Rush albums (6-9).
    • Rush's 10th best album.
    • Among the bottom 50% of Rush albums (11-15).
    • One of Rush's worst albums?
    • Rush's worst album.

Excluding "Feedback", where does Rush rank among Rush's best albums?

I was surprised to read in another poll on another site that the plurality of Rush fans felt that CA was Rush's best album since Counterparts. I had always considered Counterparts among Rush's weakest, with good lyrics and very weak songs. My opinion is obviously in the minority. How much so? I thought I'd ask you guys.

My theory on why people like the album is that it returned Rush to a harder sound, and it didn't have the "pop" elements which made RTBs Rush's best seller after the 80s. People wanted to love it because it contained much of what they had been demanding for so long.

Of course, the answer could simply be "different strokes...".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really cared for it. They were trying too hard to sound like the alternative bands that were around at the time. The first time I heard Animate I heard similarities to Evenflow by Pearl Jam. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but I don't like the results.

I can understand why a lot of people like it, because it is sandwiched between RTB and T4E!

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 16 2012, 04:35 PM)
I never really cared for it. They were trying too hard to sound like the alternative bands that were around at the time. The first time I heard Animate I heard similarities to Evenflow by Pearl Jam. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but I don't like the results.

I can understand why a lot of people like it, because it is sandwiched between RTB and T4E!

I love RTB and T4E! Each one improved on the unfinished promise of the previous album.

It ranks fifth for me. It has two of my favorite tunes in Animate and Leave That Thing Alone, along with plenty of other really good ones (Cold Fire, Alien Shore, Double Agent, etc.) I don't particularly care for two or three of the tracks, but that's not such a big deal when there are eight that I think are great.

Clockwork Angels has recently been trying to usurp the #5 slot, but CP has been fighting back valiantly.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Jul 16 2012, 04:45 PM)

I love RTB and T4E! Each one improved on the unfinished promise of the previous album.

Presto is superior to RTB, even though it marked the beginning of a period of creative decline.

CP is a masterpiece compared to T4E, at least some real effort went into it.

RTB and T4E

another two gems from the 90's. facepalm.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 16 2012, 05:18 PM)

Presto RTB

CP T4E

that era was brutal. eh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 16 2012, 05:44 PM)

RTB and T4E

Poorly faceted cubic zirconia! laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 16 2012, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 16 2012, 05:44 PM)

RTB and T4E

Poorly faceted cubic zirconia! laugh.gif laugh.gif

whatever way you want to put it. tongue.gif

Wow...I hear zero grunge and hear zero Pearl Jam-isms.

Great record. Better than Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows. It may even be better that Presto as well. Of course this is only my opinion.