Metal Evolution

WCFIELDS

Has anyone seen this? I just finished watching it, and for the most part it's pretty good. A few bands were left out that should've been included, but highly recommended.

Metal Evolution - IMDB

http://www.bangerfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Metal-Evolution-Cover1-213x300.jpg

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 15 2012, 01:27 PM)
My observations...

- They missed Tool from the Progressive Metal part
- Hardly any mention of Scorpions or Thin Lizzy in the early metal years

That's because the Scorpions and Thin Lizzy aren't metal wink.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 15 2012, 12:48 PM)
My observations...

The Scorpions are metal, IMO....especially early albums...

Thin Lizzy was hard rock/metal, and definitely were a huge influence on metal....Being as the series focused a lot on the bands that influenced metal, I think these bands should have been included...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 15 2012, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 15 2012, 12:48 PM)
My observations...

The Scorpions are metal, IMO....especially early albums...

Thin Lizzy was hard rock/metal, and definitely were a huge influence on metal....Being as the series focused a lot on the bands that influenced metal, I think these bands should have been included...

Scorpions are hard rock. They have some metal elements in their music but have never been full on metal. Thin Lizzy is rock/hard rock, the stuff i've heard from them isn't even in the realm of metal.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jul 15 2012, 02:27 PM)
Pretty good series, but not including death and black metal was a major oversight.

They wanted people to watch the shows. Focusing a show on two subgenres of metal that only a small percentage of fans like wouldn't have been a good idea. Plus, the controversy both of those genres have caused through the years has given metal a bad name. It was the right move to not talk about it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 15 2012, 02:45 PM)
Pretty good series, but not including death and black metal was a major oversight.

They wanted people to watch the shows. Focusing a show on two subgenres of metal that only a small percentage of fans like wouldn't have been a good idea. Plus, the controversy both of those genres have caused through the years has given metal a bad name. It was the right move to not talk about it.

hahaha letting your personal biases against two genres blind you

I know way more people who like death and black metal than "SHOCK METAL" or "PROGRESSIVE METAL"

they didn't want "people" to watch the show - they wanted vh1 classic's main audience, DADS, to watch the show. "stick to maiden and priest, bring in the ratings. all music after 1990 is bad."

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 15 2012, 02:45 PM)

Well for one thing, extreme metal has gotten pretty popular since it first came around so I think there's a pretty sizable fan base. Plus, I would think that the more controversial something is the better suited it is for TV. Extreme metal has made major contributions to metal as a whole, and because they didn't include it I can't call the series a complete overview of metal.

and i don't think it's sam dunn's fault they weren't included - he's a fan of extreme metal. odds are the guys at vh1 classic didn't want any coverage going to artists like burzum or autopsy, because people who like those bands don't watch vh1 classic, because people who like those bands aren't interested in whatever the new great white album is

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 15 2012, 03:31 PM)
and i don't think it's sam dunn's fault they weren't included - he's a fan of extreme metal. odds are the guys at vh1 classic didn't want any coverage going to artists like burzum or autopsy, because people who like those bands don't watch vh1 classic, because people who like those bands aren't interested in whatever the new great white album is

The new Great White album..

laugh.gif

Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 15 2012, 03:28 PM)
death metal and black metal have pretty big fanbases, they might not include eddie trunk or his cronies, but they have big fanbases and they aren't going anywhere, much to the dismay of old men who cry because "turbo lover" reminds them of their better years...

Dude, the "Old Man " jokes are running out of gas . You change your user name to say the same shit over and over ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 16 2012, 11:15 AM)
death metal and black metal have pretty big fanbases, they might not include eddie trunk or his cronies, but they have big fanbases and they aren't going anywhere, much to the dismay of old men who cry because "turbo lover" reminds them of their better years...

Dude, the "Old Man " jokes are running out of gas . You change your user name to say the same shit over and over ?

who was he?

laugh.gif

On a Rush site no less.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 16 2012, 05:27 PM)

who was he?

Floydfanatic?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 16 2012, 09:12 PM)

who was he?

Floydfanatic?

don't even remember floydfanatic

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 16 2012, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 16 2012, 09:12 PM)

who was he?

Floydfanatic?

don't even remember floydfanatic

he was an arse...

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 16 2012, 07:27 PM)

who was he?

I'm pretty sure he was Beherit. He had a few other usernames but I forgot them.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 15 2012, 06:27 PM)

That's weird - I watched the series when Sky Arts showed it here in the UK a few weeks ago and Tool were definitely mentioned - although no interviews with the band, obviously, just with their producer, oslt.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 16 2012, 09:10 PM)

who was he?

yes.gif Very sad really .

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 16 2012, 10:10 PM)

who was he?

So they are all alters?